> Funny pic from today
Richard Garvie
post May 6 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

http://www.newburygallery.co.uk/viewpictur...ctureid=8066319

The council staff did a brilliant job today, and despite the long wait it wasn't really all down to them. Big thank you to the media too, who have been working almost as hard as the candidates over the past few days. Speaking of the media, I think this picture sums up the general mood of the day!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 6 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Seems all a bit cosy. You're not a Tory double agent are you? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 7 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 6 2011, 08:33 PM) *
Seems all a bit cosy. You're not a Tory double agent are you? tongue.gif

To be fair with you, it was a pretty good day. Even Anthony Stansfield had a chat with me, so maybe we can all get along a bit better from now on and have grown up debate too. I'm sure that we all want what's best for the district, we need to move beyond the party political affiliations and try and get stuff done.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 7 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

When I served as a councillor I was suprised at my very first meeting. The election campaign had been hard fought on all sides and I was really expecting a lot of resentment. There was none all parties got their heads down and got on with it, all helping each other along. I think deep down at a local level all candidates just want to do a good job for their communities.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 7 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 7 2011, 04:39 PM) *
When I served as a councillor I was suprised at my very first meeting. The election campaign had been hard fought on all sides and I was really expecting a lot of resentment. There was none all parties got their heads down and got on with it, all helping each other along. I think deep down at a local level all candidates just want to do a good job for their communities.

I think there is now a realisation amongst all parties that the punch and judy nature of the political scene must end, and we must work together to achieve genuine gains for local people.

I hope this can be a fresh start, and I hope that we can now engage in grown up conversation. Labour are here for the long haul, and we will continue to fight hard for the things that we believe are right and for fairness. It's up to the administration now as to which way they wish to conduct their business.

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post May 7 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,706

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 7 2011, 05:49 PM) *
I think there is now a realisation amongst all parties that the punch and judy nature of the political scene must end, and we must work together to achieve genuine gains for local people.

I wonder if we could set up a group of people who are actually prepared to work for that ideal? Perhaps we should call them Apolitical... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 7 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (CharlieF @ May 7 2011, 07:25 PM) *
I wonder if we could set up a group of people who are actually prepared to work for that ideal? Perhaps we should call them Apolitical... wink.gif

yes agree and no funny handshakes etc? tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post May 7 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I prefer this picture...

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 7 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Brillliant!

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post May 7 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,706

Ahem!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 7 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I hope this can be a fresh start, and I hope that we can now engage in grown up conversation. Labour are here for the long haul, and we will continue to fight hard for the things that we believe are right and for fairness. It's up to the administration now as to which way they wish to conduct their business.

I'm sorry RG...but what a load of b*******. Lets welcome Newbury's Nick Clegg.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 7 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

If you believe that then you don't understand politics or egocentricity of people. People are in politics for their own personal goals and beliefs.

What do you think when you wake up? Does reality kick in and you look around and think "Oh, I am still on earth with all its fallibility. So I'll scratch out what I just dreamed up and put my brain into the right gear mode." But then again you are a member of the Labour party.... so we'll forgive you your ideological eccentric claptrap and put it down to you just being a nice cuddly teddy bear who wants to be loved by humanity. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 7 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I am one of the biggest critics of Mr Jones and his administration and the way it conducts it's business. I now hope that we can move beyond the political ideaology and start to work in the interests of the district, but if that doesn't happen then we will continue to hold them to account.

Labour campaigned for the CCTV review. Labour campaigned against day centre and youth club closures. Labour campaigned against changes to affordable housing. Labour exposed the reduction of funding in education and children centres. If we had not fought the council on issues like CCTV, would the council be having a review?

Surely we all want things to be more open and transparent, rather than what we have now? I want to have a more grown up debate in West Berkshire, but we will do whatever it takes to hold the council to account.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 7 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 7 2011, 09:05 PM) *
If you believe that then you don't understand politics or egocentricity of people. People are in politics for their own personal goals and beliefs.

Not EVERYONE...

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 8 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 7 2011, 10:49 PM) *
Not EVERYONE...

Maybe not at the beginning but once they climb the greasy pole then things change.

Do you have anybody in mind in high up politics?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 8 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 8 2011, 09:27 AM) *
Maybe not at the beginning but once they climb the greasy pole then things change.

Do you have anybody in mind in high up politics?

Nationally, there are very few who are in it for personal gain. Locally, there are a few people I can think of who do it for proper reasons. A lot of the town councillors see no benefit for what they do, apart from civic pride and the feeling of contributing to the future of the district.

I'd say the biggest problem with West berks is that we have too many seats, resulting in paper candidates getting elected and as a result, some people pick up £24,000 for a four year term and do relatively little for the money. Saying everyone is it for personal benefit would be wrong, but there are definately a few I can think of!!!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 8 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Is it a bad thing if people are "professional politicians"? I would have thought so but if you really want to do well at something (ie carve out a career) then you should be good at it. If you put your own personal thoughts and views aside in order to keep the electorate happy and represent them properly, then you ought to be a better politician.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 8 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 7 2011, 10:48 PM) *
I am one of the biggest critics of Mr Jones and his administration and the way it conducts it's business. I now hope that we can move beyond the political ideaology and start to work in the interests of the district, but if that doesn't happen then we will continue to hold them to account.

Labour campaigned for the CCTV review. Labour campaigned against day centre and youth club closures. Labour campaigned against changes to affordable housing. Labour exposed the reduction of funding in education and children centres. If we had not fought the council on issues like CCTV, would the council be having a review?

Surely we all want things to be more open and transparent, rather than what we have now? I want to have a more grown up debate in West Berkshire, but we will do whatever it takes to hold the council to account.

A review? Who is doing the reviewing though? And of course to make doubly sure there is no comeback it was put off until after the election. Democracy anyone? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 8 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 8 2011, 09:53 AM) *
A review? Who is doing the reviewing though? And of course to make doubly sure there is no comeback it was put off until after the election. Democracy anyone? wink.gif

You are exactly right. But for a certain Lib Dem to attempt to take all of the credit when he initially told me I was wrong at a NRA meeting in January is a bit rich. Labour have provided the majority of the opposition to the Tories since October in West Berkshire, let's not forget that it took six weeks for the Lib Dems to speak out in the media against the day centre cuts, wheras Labour had put forward alternative spending cuts in less than twelve hours from the announcement.

As I've said before, let's hope that things can change a bit and become far more transparent. The ball is in the court of the council and the administration now.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 8 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 8 2011, 11:00 AM) *
You are exactly right. But for a certain Lib Dem to attempt to take all of the credit when he initially told me I was wrong at a NRA meeting in January is a bit rich. Labour have provided the majority of the opposition to the Tories since October in West Berkshire, let's not forget that it took six weeks for the Lib Dems to speak out in the media against the day centre cuts, wheras Labour had put forward alternative spending cuts in less than twelve hours from the announcement.

As I've said before, let's hope that things can change a bit and become far more transparent. The ball is in the court of the council and the administration now.

Just where it has always been? So don't expect any changes then eh? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:41 AM