Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Newbury today 2012 Legolympiad: Jason against the Argonauts, debate
JeffG
post Jun 7 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I suspect most people will give up on this forum. I find it trying to wade through all the spam looking for posts I want to read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 7 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 7 2012, 10:00 PM) *
I suspect most people will give up on this forum. I find it trying to wade through all the spam looking for posts I want to read.

I know what you mean, and I agree.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 7 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 7 2012, 09:57 PM) *
What I was moaning about was the fact that suddenly the forum gets taken over by one person and that to my mind was the crux of the matter. Simon could have co-opted his people, he could be posting himself but at the end of the day, I don't want to play the silly game. Other people might, but what do the opponents have to offer other than their personal opinions which may be valid although I would want to know who they were and what their qualifications were to take part in a debate. People who do like to hear the sound of their own voices and take part in verbal debates make it quite clear who they are and where they stand in society.
Anyway, I don't want to participate in a nonsense bet as I would be prepared to believe that the people who are representing the opponents/contestants/participants might be real but they are anonymous forum names which are meaningless. I have three identities on the forum so I could be arguing for two people.

I've explained why I wanted to anonymise the debate, but I understand how that has caused consternation. It was also a novel thing having a debating contest, and I see that not everyone has accepted its validity, especially as I asked for the debate threads to remain comment-free until the debate was over. I'm going to ask the competitors if, in the light of the comments it's received, if they'd like to wind it up now.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 7 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 7 2012, 11:13 PM) *
I've explained why I wanted to anonymise the debate, but I understand how that has caused consternation. It was also a novel thing having a debating contest, and I see that not everyone has accepted its validity, especially as I asked for the debate threads to remain comment-free until the debate was over. I'm going to ask the competitors if, in the light of the comments it's received, if they'd like to wind it up now.

If you believe that the debate thing is valid, get the moderator to start a new section called debating and to restrict posting till it's over and done. You will not be able to stop people posting try as you might, it's already attracted a few daft and meaningless posts from the usuals and even a new poster who seems concerned with an estate agent or something.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 7 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 7 2012, 11:21 PM) *
If you believe that the debate thing is valid, get the moderator to start a new section called debating and to restrict posting till it's over and done. You will not be able to stop people posting try as you might, it's already attracted a few daft and meaningless posts from the usuals and even a new poster who seems concerned with an estate agent or something.

I PMd admin but didn't get a response. It was a new idea and I take blackdog's assessment that it's failed objectively. If the competitors agree to wind it up now we can have a bit of a wash up to see if it's worth doing again some time and what we might change. I agree that asking members not to post in the threads is not in the spirit of the forum and has caused some undertsnadable frustration, and I'm sorry about that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 8 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I wouldn't say it's failed. More like just poorly set up, whether that's your fault or the Admin's fault for not facilitating another section is up for debate.
It is a bit annoying seeing all the threads being taken up however it's not bad enough to cause me to moan much about it lol.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 8 2012, 09:04 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 8 2012, 09:48 AM) *
I wouldn't say it's failed. More like just poorly set up, whether that's your fault or the Admin's fault for not facilitating another section is up for debate.
It is a bit annoying seeing all the threads being taken up however it's not bad enough to cause me to moan much about it lol.

Of course its failed. Notwithstanding people can't help wittering! wink.gif The 'mistake' Simon made was not explaining fully the format before 'dumping' it on us. He needs to learn to consider consensus I feel (not for the first time!) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 8 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 8 2012, 10:04 AM) *
Of course its failed. Notwithstanding people can't help wittering! wink.gif The 'mistake' Simon made was not explaining fully the format before 'dumping' it on us. He needs to learn to consider consensus I feel (not for the first time!) tongue.gif

maybe one debate at a time......would have helped.....

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 8 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 8 2012, 10:16 AM) *
maybe one debate at a time......would have helped.....

He has spammed the forum, I'm ignoring all these topics.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 8 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jun 8 2012, 11:05 AM) *
He has spammed the forum, I'm ignoring all these topics.

Apparently not, sadly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 8 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 8 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Apparently not, sadly.

Simon can you please remove the spam posts, or I tihnk admin need to be contacted as it is very off putting.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 8 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jun 8 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Simon can you please remove the spam posts, or I tihnk admin need to be contacted as it is very off putting.

If you think I've posted spam you're at liberty to report it to admin as such, and if you're not interested in the threads you're also at liberty to ignore them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 8 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 8 2012, 12:31 PM) *
If you think I've posted spam you're at liberty to report it to admin as such, and if you're not interested in the threads you're also at liberty to ignore them.

It is clearly spam, and has ruined the board in my opinion.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 8 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jun 8 2012, 12:33 PM) *
It is clearly spam, and has ruined the board in my opinion.

Rather than just throwing sqibs - could you justify your claims? The posts were clearly not 'spam' in the accepted useage of the term and they certainly have not ruined the board - which has carried on as it always did. There is a very simple solution if you don't like what you see here - don't look. How very sad - sincerely hope you find what you are looking for somewhere.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 8 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 8 2012, 12:41 PM) *
Rather than just throwing sqibs - could you justify your claims? The posts were clearly not 'spam' in the accepted useage of the term and they certainly have not ruined the board - which has carried on as it always did. There is a very simple solution if you don't like what you see here - don't look. How very sad - sincerely hope you find what you are looking for somewhere.

He swamped the board with post after post, centre of attention as always. How's the allotment doing with all this rain Simon ?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 8 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

The forum was almost nice these last few days until Andy1979uk decided to come back.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 8 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 8 2012, 12:51 PM) *
The forum was almost nice these last few days until Andy1979uk decided to come back.

I forget it's your forum Timbo.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jun 8 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 8 2012, 12:51 PM) *

I did warn it might be a bit too cerebral for some people, kind of proves me right really.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 8 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Penelope @ Jun 8 2012, 12:59 PM) *
I did warn it might be a bit too cerebral for some people, kind of proves me right really.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 8 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Penelope @ Jun 8 2012, 12:59 PM) *

What has breakfast cerebral got to do with anything?

wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:21 PM