> Tommy Robinson, Police State
Turin Machine
post Oct 23 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #341

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Oct 23 2018, 09:28 PM) *
It's where someone believes in the culture and customs of Catholicism but not the existence of God. It's fair enough. I'd suggest that a lot of Atheists would choose to follow the customs of a particular religeon without believing in a God.

you mean a religion based on the premise of the Holy Trinity and embracing Jesus as the son of God?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 24 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #342

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 23 2018, 06:58 PM) *
OK, lets examine this, you say 'these days' Did you during your literature course never come into contact with the works of P G Wodehouse? How about Nabakov? surely you read Nabakov? How about Kingsley Amis? or Susan Sontag? Ever read any of Einstein's papers? Because if you had you would know that these greats of literature have, along with many others all used this structural device.

Doesn't sound like you paid much attention in class, surely you used Fowler's usage and grammar guide during your time studying? Because Fowler says it's OK. Or, just maybe you got a degree in bull**** from the Walter school of bull****?

Nice one TM!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Oct 24 2018, 12:01 PM
Post #343

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 23 2018, 10:52 PM) *
you mean a religion based on the premise of the Holy Trinity and embracing Jesus as the son of God?

Nope

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 24 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #344

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 23 2018, 06:58 PM) *
OK, lets examine this, you say 'these days' Did you during your literature course never come into contact with the works of P G Wodehouse? How about Nabakov? surely you read Nabakov? How about Kingsley Amis? or Susan Sontag? Ever read any of Einstein's papers? Because if you had you would know that these greats of literature have, along with many others all used this structural device.

Doesn't sound like you paid much attention in class, surely you used Fowler's usage and grammar guide during your time studying? Because Fowler says it's OK. Or, just maybe you got a degree in bull**** from the Walter school of bull****?

I frequently start sentences with and myself so I’ve no problem with it. No I never used Fowler’s usage guide. I’ve never heard of it actually. I studied literature not grammar. I’ve never read Nabakov or Sontag but I’ve read some Kingsley (and Martin) Anis and PG Wodehouse. I’ve no need to make things up or to go Googling to try to make myself look clever. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 24 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #345

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 24 2018, 05:31 PM) *
I frequently start sentences with and myself so I’ve no problem with it.

if you have no problem with it then why post this?

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 22 2018, 08:36 AM)
Oh dear. Starting a sentence with and.

Oh and I think that an understanding of English is fairly central to a literature degree 'these days'. Never heard of Fowlers! Good God, you really are bringing a knife to a gunfight aren't you.

"I’ve no need to make things up" you say, Boy, thats all you ever do Walter, all you ever do.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 24 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #346

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 24 2018, 07:16 PM) *

Oh and I think that an understanding of English is fairly central to a literature degree 'these days'. Never heard of Fowlers! Good God, you really are bringing a knife to a gunfight aren't you.

"I’ve no need to make things up" you say, Boy, thats all you ever do Walter, all you ever do.

Pretty much spot on I would say. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 24 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #347

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Arguably asking if Newres has read those 'authors' is really like asking a student of modern warfare why they didn't concentrate on the War of Jenkins Ear, or the Russio Japanese War.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 24 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #348

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 24 2018, 08:34 PM) *
Arguably asking if Newres has read those 'authors' is really like asking a student of modern warfare why they didn't concentrate on the War of Jenkins Ear, or the Russio Japanese War.

Arguably yes, however I would contend that great literature transcends the bounds of time and is therefor as important today to literature as it was fifty years ago. Your argument would have us believe that William Shakespeare is an irrelevancy.

As for military studies? well, the Russo Japanese war is of intense interest to all scholars, the first war in modern times when an Asian power defeated a western or European power? Incredibly important. One of the first things any student of war will be given to study is 'The Art Of War' By Sun Tzu, as relevant today as it was then. And I can also tell you that the first things drummed into you as a pilot are, Altitude is King, beware the enemy in the sun and never fly in a straight line. All lessons learn't in WW1. Why? because battlefields change, weapons change but tactics never change.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 25 2018, 05:50 AM
Post #349

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 25 2018, 12:57 AM) *
Arguably yes, however I would contend that great literature transcends the bounds of time and is therefor as important today to literature as it was fifty years ago. Your argument would have us believe that William Shakespeare is an irrelevancy.

As for military studies? well, the Russo Japanese war is of intense interest to all scholars, the first war in modern times when an Asian power defeated a western or European power? Incredibly important. One of the first things any student of war will be given to study is 'The Art Of War' By Sun Tzu, as relevant today as it was then. And I can also tell you that the first things drummed into you as a pilot are, Altitude is King, beware the enemy in the sun and never fly in a straight line. All lessons learn't in WW1. Why? because battlefields change, weapons change but tactics never change.

I would suggest this defeats your arguments; the writings haven't stood the test of time! As you say later, some books remain quite relevant, but thankfully our curriculum isn't ossified and alters. Mind, even when they were current, the authors mentioned weren't considered writers of the first rank; save amongst their followers. Not quite sure what Military Schools you are referring to, but one recent graduate from Sandhurst of my acquaintance knows about Sun Tzu but it wasn't compulsory study, good though it may be.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 25 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #350

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 24 2018, 07:16 PM) *

No apostrophe? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 25 2018, 08:06 AM
Post #351

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 25 2018, 12:57 AM) *

You’re actually being ridiculous. There are thousands of authors and millions of books. I can’t possibly have read them all. I’ve read most Dickens, the main Trollope’s, literally hundreds and hundreds of novels of most genres.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #352

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 25 2018, 09:06 AM) *
You’re actually being ridiculous. There are thousands of authors and millions of books. I can’t possibly have read them all. I’ve read most Dickens, the main Trollope’s, literally hundreds and hundreds of novels of most genres.

Of course you have. You are the most intelligent man on the planet Walter. That's planet Newres.

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 25 2018, 01:02 PM
Post #353

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 25 2018, 01:36 PM) *
Of course you have. You are the most intelligent man on the planet Walter. That's planet Newres.

Cheers Tommeh fanboy.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #354

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 25 2018, 02:02 PM) *
Cheers Tommeh fanboy.

Are you quoting Chaucer? Seems an odd language.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 25 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #355

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

I've read literally hundreds and hundreds of novels

Oh really, and how many did not contain the words "see spot run"?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #356

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 25 2018, 07:08 PM) *
Oh really, and how many did not contain the words "see spot run"?

Dont diss the man and his 2 2 from Doncaster poly... He is well read don't you know!😂

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 25 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #357

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Newres, on this response I agree with you.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 25 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #358

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 25 2018, 08:17 PM) *
Newres, on this response I agree with you.

Bit of a collectors item so better paste and copy. cool.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #359

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 25 2018, 08:57 PM) *
Bit of a collectors item so better paste and copy. cool.gif

I've screen shot for posterity. I doubt it will happen again.😂

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 25 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #360

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 25 2018, 06:50 AM) *
Mind, even when they were current, the authors mentioned weren't considered writers of the first rank; save amongst their followers.

Really, "Nabokov's Lolita (1955), his most noted novel in English, was ranked fourth in the list of the Modern Library 100 Best Novels;Pale Fire (1962) was ranked 53rd on the same list, and his memoir, Speak, Memory (1951), was listed eighth on the publisher's list of the 20th century's greatest nonfiction. He was a finalist for the National Book Award for Fiction seven times."
Doesn't sound, "not first rank" to me.

Sontag,
1978: National Book Critics Circle Award for On Photography
1990: MacArthur Fellowship
1992: Malaparte Prize, Italy
1999: Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres, France
2000: National Book Award for In America
2001: Jerusalem Prize, awarded every two years to a writer whose work explores the freedom of the individual in society.
2002: George Polk Award, for Cultural Criticism for "Looking at War," in The New Yorker
2003: Honorary Doctorate of Tübingen University
2003: Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (Friedenspreis des deutschen Buchhandels) during the Frankfurt Book Fair (Frankfurter Buchmesse).
2003: Prince of Asturias Award on Literature.
2004: Two days after her death, Muhidin Hamamdzic, the mayor of Sarajevo announced the city would name a street after her, calling her an "author and a humanist who actively participated in the creation of the history of Sarajevo and Bosnia." Theatre Square outside the National Theatre was promptly proposed to be renamed Susan Sontag Theatre Square. It took 5 years, however, for that tribute to become official.On January 13, 2010, the city of Sarajevo posted a plate with a new street name for Theater Square: Theater Square of Susan Sontag.

Also rated by the Guardian as #16 in their best 100 non fiction list, Not too shabby. Highly regarded as one of the great essayists of modern times.

And as for Art Of War, its nice your colleague could confirm that overnight. However its not on the mandatory list, rather it's on the recommended list, a shortened list of recommended as below;

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Attacks! By E. Rommel

Clausewitz, Carl von. On War. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1984.
This is a war classic that sets the standard for books on the art of war.
Hart, B.H. Liddell. Strategy. Plume; 2 revised edition, 1991.
This book is a classic work on strategy that rivals Clausewitz.
Sumida, Jon Tetsuro. Inventing Grand Strategy and Teaching Command. The John
Hopkins University Press, 1999.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:19 AM