IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Freeview Digital retuning again, Necessary again!
gel
post Sep 24 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Digital Channels:_

I retuned on 19th as was suggested by Freeview, but find today that a number of channels have disappeared again; had to retune once more.

Has anyone else had issue?

Seems a poor way of updating making so many shuffle around for exciting new channels such as Argos TV: yawn.
Why not just stick new entrants miles up frequency, & then we can just ignore in most cases.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 24 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

They're probably replacing old channels on a multiplex so have to take a specific channel number.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 25 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Re-tuning has never been even a minor issue for me.
Just press a couple of buttons, wait a few minutes and it's done!
I do it fairly regularly just to ensure I am up to date.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Sep 25 2012, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

[tuesday morning moan]
Yet another bleedin' re-tune, which means I lose my favourites yet again and have to reselect and reorganise them. It's about the 6th time I have had to do that, and I am sure it won't be the last.

Dave on 19 swapped places with Yesterday on 12. Why? What on earth did swapping two channels around actually achieve?

Digital TV - apart from lots more channels (and the content and quality of them is highly debatable) I have not found one reason why digital is better than analogue!
[/tuesday morning moan]

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 25 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Grumbling again, grumblingagain? >.>
The effort of pressing probably 3 buttons and waiting for 30 seconds. I'm sure Microwaving food results in you running around your kitchen, flailing your arms around.

As Biker1 says it's not really a major issue. Or even really a minor one..

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Sep 25 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 25 2012, 09:16 AM) *
Grumbling again, grumblingagain? >.>
The effort of pressing probably 3 buttons and waiting for 30 seconds. I'm sure Microwaving food results in you running around your kitchen, flailing your arms around.

As Biker1 says it's not really a major issue. Or even really a minor one..

Yawn, another one who doesn't read what is written in their rush to fire off a personal attack. And you all wonder why not many post on here.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 25 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Sep 25 2012, 07:11 AM) *
[tuesday morning moan]
Yet another bleedin' re-tune, which means I lose my favourites yet again and have to reselect and reorganise them. It's about the 6th time I have had to do that, and I am sure it won't be the last.

Dave on 19 swapped places with Yesterday on 12. Why? What on earth did swapping two channels around actually achieve?

Digital TV - apart from lots more channels (and the content and quality of them is highly debatable) I have not found one reason why digital is better than analogue!
[/tuesday morning moan]

Digital isn't better, it just means more dosh for government. Indeed, digital quality on average seems poorer than analogue.

PS - Ignoree Timbo; he's just a silly boy. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 25 2012, 09:48 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Indeed, Andy. biggrin.gif

@GrumblingTummy.

1) No personal attack was made.
2) You said

"Yet another bleedin' re-tune, which means I lose my favourites yet again and have to reselect and reorganise them. It's about the 6th time I have had to do that, and I am sure it won't be the last."

"Dave on 19 swapped places with Yesterday on 12. Why? What on earth did swapping two channels around actually achieve?"

Basically you are complaining that you had to re-tune, complaining that you lost your favorites (diddums) and complaining about the quality and content is not really comparable to analog TV. Well, the QUALITY (as in visual and audio) is always better. That is just a fact of the transmission medium. It's subject to far less losses. Quality of the programmes themselves... well, as I hardly watch TV (and I mean literally maybe 1 or 2 shows a week such as Watchdog and Russell Howards Good News) I wouldn't know but I have many other things to do rather than watch TV.

3) Not many people post on here because;
3.a) It's a relatively un-advertised forum catering for a small town.
3.B.) The small town in question whose population reads the Newbury Weekly News Publication are normally of a more mature age (average age in late 40's wouldn't surprise me).
3.ci) A majority of those in their mature ages are not of the mindset to participate in web forums
3.cii) A minority of those in their mature ages don't even understand how to use a computer properly let alone participate in web forums.
3.ciii) Some of those who are of a mindset to post are not able to fit into the forums "style" which is often aggressive debating styles.
3.d) Those who are young and attempt to sign up often are met with hostility due to their difference of opinion due to the differencing generations so many don't bother.
3.e) Certain fellows are found to be lying about their personal lifes and children they don't have but do have but didn't have.
3.f) For the amount of people in the town vs the type of forum (angry old mens debating area) I think the 20 or 25 regular sort of posters we have are pretty good.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 25 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Blimey, give that man a cupcake.
ce.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 25 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Sep 25 2012, 10:48 AM) *
Well, the QUALITY (as in visual and audio) is always better. That is just a fact of the transmission medium.

Untrue.

3.d) Those who are young and attempt to sign up often are met with hostility due to their difference of opinion due to the differencing generations so many don't bother

Any difference of opinion can be met with 'hostility', it is the veracity of the opinion that is important to some.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Sep 25 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

That is true Andy. (last point)

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 25 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

[tuesday morning moan]

[/tuesday morning moan]

It allows you to have "favourites"? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roost
post Sep 25 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I can recall the birth of the fourth channel.

May be using rose tinted specs but I'm sure there was more that was interesting on back then..!
Or maybe my tastes were less...eclectic.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 25 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 25 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Any difference of opinion can be met with 'hostility', it is the veracity of the opinion that is important to some.

Absolute rubbish - have you a clue what you are talking about? Doh!!!!

blink.gif blink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 25 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I have not found one reason why digital is better than analogue!

Well, with my dim recollection of what analogue was like several years ago since I watched it, here's two:
1. The definition is better, even at standard definition.
2. You didn't get high definition with analogue.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 25 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 25 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Well, with my dim recollection of what analogue was like several years ago since I watched it, here's two:

Picture definition cannot be seen as it should be if your eyesight is screwed, even with glasses on. That accounts for a very large number of the population.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 25 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Not to long ago I found myself in an electrical outlet perusing the array of new found technology that is a modern television whilst Lady Tup was off buying curtains or some such life's essential , when I was approached by the ubiquitous young sales assistant who sort to capture my interest with his obvious knowledge of theses things.
" Good morning Sir , may I help you ?" His smile was genuine his self belief slightly less so.
" Wonderful things these televisions are they not , I believe one can now receive 5 channels ? " . My poor attempt at levity sailed way above the poor chaps head because his smile turned into a grimace as he tried desperately to balance between possible sale and an inherent desire to call security.

Lady Tup's timely arrival with the suggestion of coffee saved the day but the burning question is what is the point of hundreds of channels when you can only watch one at a time and that is usually tripe . wink.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 25 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 25 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Not to long ago I found myself in an electrical outlet perusing the array of new found technology that is a modern television whilst Lady Tup was off buying curtains or some such life's essential , when I was approached by the ubiquitous young sales assistant who sort to capture my interest with his obvious knowledge of theses things.
" Good morning Sir , may I help you ?" His smile was genuine his self belief slightly less so.
" Wonderful things these televisions are they not , I believe one can now receive 5 channels ? " . My poor attempt at levity sailed way above the poor chaps head because his smile turned into a grimace as he tried desperately to balance between possible sale and an inherent desire to call security.

Lady Tup's timely arrival with the suggestion of coffee saved the day but the burning question is what is the point of hundreds of channels when you can only watch one at a time and that is usually tripe . wink.gif

Bang on.
I had a similar conversation at work today.
The lady I work with (approx 30 years of age), just couldn't understand how I could live without a TV for around seven years. Sadly, I had to succumb when I got married. We now have three of the bloody things.

We only have freeview, which is plenty channels.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 25 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 25 2012, 08:54 PM) *

It could be, but the compression that a lot of digital is broadcast at soon puts pay to any potential advantage. I had a fairly good CRT TV and the picture was far better than the average digital one that I see these days. What digital can do is make things a lot cheaper. Better picture quality is generally a misnomer.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Sep 26 2012, 06:59 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Indeed, Andy. biggrin.gif

@GrumblingTummy.

1) No personal attack was made.
2) You said

"Yet another bleedin' re-tune, which means I lose my favourites yet again and have to reselect and reorganise them. It's about the 6th time I have had to do that, and I am sure it won't be the last."

"Dave on 19 swapped places with Yesterday on 12. Why? What on earth did swapping two channels around actually achieve?"

Basically you are complaining that you had to re-tune, complaining that you lost your favorites (diddums) and complaining about the quality and content is not really comparable to analog TV. Well, the QUALITY (as in visual and audio) is always better. That is just a fact of the transmission medium. It's subject to far less losses. Quality of the programmes themselves... well, as I hardly watch TV (and I mean literally maybe 1 or 2 shows a week such as Watchdog and Russell Howards Good News) I wouldn't know but I have many other things to do rather than watch TV.

3) Not many people post on here because;
3.a) It's a relatively un-advertised forum catering for a small town.
3.B.) The small town in question whose population reads the Newbury Weekly News Publication are normally of a more mature age (average age in late 40's wouldn't surprise me).
3.ci) A majority of those in their mature ages are not of the mindset to participate in web forums
3.cii) A minority of those in their mature ages don't even understand how to use a computer properly let alone participate in web forums.
3.ciii) Some of those who are of a mindset to post are not able to fit into the forums "style" which is often aggressive debating styles.
3.d) Those who are young and attempt to sign up often are met with hostility due to their difference of opinion due to the differencing generations so many don't bother.
3.e) Certain fellows are found to be lying about their personal lifes and children they don't have but do have but didn't have.
3.f) For the amount of people in the town vs the type of forum (angry old mens debating area) I think the 20 or 25 regular sort of posters we have are pretty good.

1) No personal attack was made. > you also wrote "I'm sure Microwaving food results in you running around your kitchen, flailing your arms around."

I am not complaining that I had to re-tune, I am complaining that because of having to retune, I have to spend time going through all 40-50 odd channels to hide off the ones I don't want and mark as favourites the ones I do want, a process that takes significantly more than The effort of pressing probably 3 buttons and waiting for 30 seconds. Once ok, but 4 times now in 2012.... and it's happened in the years before DSO.

Like I said you read the first few words of my post, saw that I mentioned the retune and immediately piled in with attack. Only when I replied did you read the whole thing as you copy/pasted my words back into your 2nd reply.

This is yet another disadvantage to go along the other drawbacks of digital TV namely picture break up; blocky compression on some scenes such as rapid flowing water or snow flurries; loss of a fast responsive teletext option replaced by a slower system where most pages spill one or two lines of text over to a second page; sound and picture sometimes out of sync; occasional total freeze of the digital equipment requiring a power recycle; unless a perfect signal no sound or picture, just to name some.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:42 AM