> Newburys Finest
Turin Machine
post Jan 28 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=19045

ladeees ana Gennelmen, a round of applause and a tip of the hat to one of Newburys Hero's, (IMHO) the kinda guy I would want on my side (but not if I had to pick up the tab !) Kind of brightened up my day !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jan 28 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

He's a teddy bear really!

And not a very hungry one either!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 28 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Can't help wondering how many families in the Horn of Africa that would have fed. There is a difference between having plenty to eat and scoffing such an obscene amount.

+Quote Post
Ron
post Jan 28 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 28 2012, 07:54 PM) *
Can't help wondering how many families in the Horn of Africa that would have fed. There is a difference between having plenty to eat and scoffing such an obscene amount.

Not many, as it would have been consumed before it ever got a chance to feed the poor and needy!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 28 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 28 2012, 07:54 PM) *

Oh really, please - Unfortunately that's the way of the world. Some people just get bad luck and have to live in poverty, doesn't mean that those in the western world who (presumably) work for a comfortable life aren't allowed to have these things.

Why don't you give your house away on the basis it would be able to accomodate 15 Africani Masaiis and protect many more from the freezing depths of a desert night?

angry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 28 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I agree with JeffG, I think these publicity stunts are vulgar. An utter waste. Meat eaters are already consuming vast amounts of resources to support their diet.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 28 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

So is everyone in the developed world, unless you are prepared to give up everything in your life that is not necessary, then I don't think it is fair to criticise other people's luxuries.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 28 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I haven't eaten meat since Christmas but might be tempted with this for a laugh. I a, not sure about the Hoggit and Hoof though. And the rules seems a bit mean spirited. And they won't do a burger less than well done, which probably means it's made of bone marrow.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 28 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 28 2012, 11:17 PM) *
So is everyone in the developed world, unless you are prepared to give up everything in your life that is not necessary, then I don't think it is fair to criticise other people's luxuries.

I'm criticising the stunt, not the contestant.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 29 2012, 12:27 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 28 2012, 10:56 PM) *
I agree with JeffG, I think these publicity stunts are vulgar. An utter waste. Meat eaters are already consuming vast amounts of resources to support their diet.

There was a similar promotion at a New Age food spot in London where participants had to eat 70 ounces of Quorn main course with a tofu dessert... Didn't get the same headlines and didn't get any contestants willing to give it a go...............

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 29 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 29 2012, 12:27 AM) *
There was a similar promotion at a New Age food spot in London where participants had to eat 70 ounces of Quorn main course with a tofu dessert... Didn't get the same headlines and didn't get any contestants willing to give it a go...............

Knowing the effects of fermented bean curd, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them for several days.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 29 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 29 2012, 12:56 AM) *

Again I agree with you Andy.
Any gluttonous eating contests are an insult to those who do not have enough to eat and I find them vulgar too!
Likewise those silly stunts that actually WASTE food. Bath of beans and all that!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 29 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Not to mention that The West is getting fatter, so perhaps gluttony is something that shouldn't be encouraged.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 29 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

And xjay gets the wrong end of the stick again. There is a difference between eating enough to fill yourself, and this obscene gluttony. If you're not happy with the African analogy, how about the people in this country who can't afford to eat properly?

And to Strafin - a luxury to me is going out for a well-cooked meal which leaves me feeling full and satisfied. How can you call a competition like this a "luxury"?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 29 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 29 2012, 11:36 AM) *
And xjay gets the wrong end of the stick again. There is a difference between eating enough to fill yourself, and this obscene gluttony. If you're not happy with the African analogy, how about the people in this country who can't afford to eat properly?

I don't think I got the wrong end of the stick at all mate.

You're saying that because there are those (here, in Africa, in the moon, up my ****, whatever) who are struggling to afford to eat, sleep, poo, whatever, that those who can should not be allowed to over-indulge. What sort of viewpoint is that to have, honestly..

So likewise, to continue on with your trail of thought; Why should we have massive houses when families of 6 or 7 are stuck in a 1 bedroom apartment block in Tamworth? Why not share your (normally) hard earned, 8 bedroom mansion and provide comfortable living for others. Or even your swanky 4 bedroom detached house..

If you have a Range Rover or something with a massive fuel tank that costs £180 to fill up, and you see a struggling teenager who can only afford to put £10 in, why not fill his car up as well?

If you have a particularly attractive girlfriend/wife, and you see a sad, lonely chap who would like some companionship why not allow him to have a few hours in private with your missus?

Sometimes I can hardly afford to eat, or fuel my car, but when it boils down to it, I rent a nice house for someone of my age, I have a nice car for someone my age, and I manage to just get by. And if this mean machine of a man wants to eat a MASSIVE steak on some sort of challenge then I'm all for it.

I laughed when I saw the story thinking I'd give it a try... Can you share it between two or more people? If I was struggling I could always phone a friend and make it a 50/50.

On a serious note if I have misunderstood your point (which I really don't think I have) then please, please - Set the record straight.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 29 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 29 2012, 12:02 PM) *
On a serious note if I have misunderstood your point (which I really don't think I have) then please, please - Set the record straight.

Yes I really think you have. When I was a child, it was always made clear to me that I was fortunate to have enough on my plate to eat. Whether or not most of us are able to buy as much food as we want, is it morally justifiable to stuff your face with four and a half pounds of steak (that's over 2kg), which no human being on this planet could possibly need or enjoy?

Incidentally, I don't know what the quality of that steak was - I recently bought a piece of fillet from Sainsbury's that weighed a little over 100g (one twentieth of the above) - enough for a meal - and that cost over a fiver.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 29 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I agree with XJay. I think it is morally wrong to preach about excess unless you have nothing excessive yourself. It's as hypocritical as Adrian Hollister's "I have a Land Rover, but that's because I need one" line. Drinking wine uses grapes that could be sent to the third world, if you have more than a two bedroom house then you are using too much energy, and if you use air travel then really need to look at yourself. Do me a favour, "holier than thou", prove it - really give something up for the benefit of others.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 29 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 29 2012, 12:22 PM) *
Yes I really think you have. When I was a child, it was always made clear to me that I was fortunate to have enough on my plate to eat. Whether or not most of us are able to buy as much food as we want, is it morally justifiable to stuff your face with four and a half pounds of steak (that's over 2kg), which no human being on this planet could possibly need or enjoy?

Incidentally, I don't know what the quality of that steak was - I recently bought a piece of fillet from Sainsbury's that weighed a little over 100g (one twentieth of the above) - enough for a meal - and that cost over a fiver.

So in fact I haven't missed the point at all then. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 29 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

This type of stunt emanates from the good old USofA where, especially in Texas and the Southern states, it is something to be proud of and probably considered to be patriotic, that participants are some sort of hero. Gluttony leads to really fat *****. Just have a street view of the average American and you can see why it's wrong.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 29 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 29 2012, 12:37 PM) *
I agree with XJay. I think it is morally wrong to preach about excess unless you have nothing excessive yourself. It's as hypocritical as Adrian Hollister's "I have a Land Rover, but that's because I need one" line. Drinking wine uses grapes that could be sent to the third world, if you have more than a two bedroom house then you are using too much energy, and if you use air travel then really need to look at yourself. Do me a favour, "holier than thou", prove it - really give something up for the benefit of others.

Gluttony is something you can indulge in the comfort of your own home, I disagree that it should be something you announce as a challenge. If we are to agree that it is wrong to criticise anything base on equality, then we would all have to shut up - everyone's opinion will be hypocritical.

Some of us find this stunt offensive; there is nothing morally wrong with that. I would never want to boast how I can exploit the privileged position I might be in. I find it arrogant and vulgar.

Finally, like everyone else, I reserve the right to be hypocritical. It is a human trait.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:58 PM