IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WBC put a six month termination notice in their two year lease, sneakey bleeders
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

You've got to keep your eye's open when you deal with slippery organisations like the West Berkshire Council it seems.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/18...aday-road-.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 21 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 21 2016, 03:45 PM) *
You've got to keep your eye's open when you deal with slippery organisations like the West Berkshire Council it seems.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/18...aday-road-.html

Quite incredible really, particularly as if this was done to anyone by a commercial organisation, their very own consumer protection people would have something to say about it!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Yes. If what I read is true, then that is simply bent. It is a long way from Mr Carter's promise not to make them homeless.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 21 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Surely termination terms are commonplace elements of leases? Seems to me that the football club is a bit over paranoid (with some justufication perhaps).

If the club could see a two year delay resolving their situation then they should sign the lease; if not they might as well fold up now.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2016, 05:45 PM) *
Surely termination terms are commonplace elements of leases? Seems to me that the football club is a bit over paranoid (with some justufication perhaps).

If the club could see a two year delay resolving their situation then they should sign the lease; if not they might as well fold up now.

'...a bit over paranoid with some justification?' huh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 21 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 21 2016, 05:50 PM) *
'...a bit over paranoid with some justification?' huh.gif

Yes, very much so!

It's really quite sad. The Football Club is really a voluntary service, sure operated by enthusiasts, but they are mainly volunteers and doing something for the community. Just what 'local government' is supposed to be promoting. It's a pretty poor Council that can't see a way of working with the club and achieving a positive outcome - surely a far easier task than trying to persuade the neighbouring businesses. But no, as usual, local government in Newbury is 'do what we tell you - we know best'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 21 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Yes it is, in most leases or tenancy agreements there's a termination clause which both parties can trigger.

What's strange is, wasn't the two year extension with the six month termination clause the same terms as their existing lease?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 21 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

*duplicate post*

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 21 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 21 2016, 08:41 PM) *
Yes it is, in most leases or tenancy agreements there's a termination clause which both parties can trigger.

What's strange is, wasn't the two year extension with the six month termination clause the same terms as their existing lease?

Quite, so one can understand them being a tad upset. Essentially 'no change', just carry on for a few months. Surely there must be a couple of Councillors with enough about them to facilitate a proper solution? Apparently there is even a department looking after recreation to back them up.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 21 2016, 08:41 PM) *

I don't know; do you?

What I find strange is that there is such a thing as a two year agreement that can be torn up with 6 months notice. Perhaps the question should be: what are the grounds for terminating the contract?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 21 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 21 2016, 09:54 PM) *
Quite, so one can understand them being a tad upset. Essentially 'no change', just carry on for a few months. Surely there must be a couple of Councillors with enough about them to facilitate a proper solution? Apparently there is even a department looking after recreation to back them up.
Don't they want "no change", to stay at Faraday Road though?

Seems a bit strange to try to negotiate better terms than you were already on through the courts.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 21 2016, 10:15 PM) *
Don't they want "no change", to stay at Faraday Road though?

Seems a bit strange to try to negotiate better terms than you were already on through the courts.

Not if you thought the original contract was prejudice.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 21 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 21 2016, 10:16 PM) *
Not if you thought the original contract was prejudice.
Did they though?

I haven't see that they felt that way mentioned in any news article, until now.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 21 2016, 10:19 PM) *
Did they though?

I don't know, but I still don't think it strange to not want to improve a contract you felt compromised ones position.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

It seems there is no 6 month eviction notice in the contract.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/18...iction-row.html

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 1 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 1 2016, 02:46 PM) *
It seems there is no 6 month eviction notice in the contract.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/18...iction-row.html

Facinating, this one! Would one way out of the present war of words be to simply publish the contract? It can hardly be a commercial secret.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 1 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

The club does appear to have been given a good opportunity to rebut the council's assertion, and it would be a simple matter for them to publish the break clause, so it looks to me at the moment like the club have misread the agreement and gone running to the local paper rather than clarifying the thing with the council.

However, I'm not clear on why the council are going to the trouble of applying for a possession order if they don't particularly want the club out now because unless the club are refusing to pay rent the implied terms of a periodic tenancy would protect the council's position quite well enough and all the council need to do is accept a regular payment of rent and there'd be no question that the club is anything but their tenant and if it came to it they could end the tenancy without difficulty.

I'm also pretty sure that a tenancy agreement is covered by the Environmental Information Regulations and that if the Newbury Weekly asked for it the Council would be obliged to publish it, and that would seem to be the thing to do here so that we can see for ourselves.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 2 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Yes it does seem odd the council would say 'sign this or get out', but it would also be daft for the council to say something that could easily be rebutted.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 2 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 2 2016, 12:49 PM) *
Yes it does seem odd the council would say 'sign this or get out', but it would also be daft for the council to say something that could easily be rebutted.

Indeed, on both counts.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Aug 4 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 2 2016, 06:44 PM) *
Indeed, on both counts.

My gut feeling is that WBC didn't plan their development very well and/or thought that they could get around the NPPF policy regarding protection of playing fields without providing reasonable alternative provision.

https://www.sportengland.org/facilities-pla...ning-for-sport/

Otherwise there's a time limit on commencing development on land that is being used ( or has previously been used) as a playing field and I think that's the crux of the issue here - I don't imagine the developers will want any timing restrictions on how they implement their planning permission. I imagine this would be highlighted in the agreement between the developer & WBC.

My personal opinion is that it's a real shame that redevelopment of the Football club, perhaps with additional sports facilities couldn't have been built into the development plans. It seems like a wasted opportunity - I'm sure on site sports facilities would be a selling point to residents of the proposed new flats & employees at the new business/retail facilities.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:09 PM