IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone know the West Berks Population / verification number?, Apparently the council should publish this each February by Law?
Richard Garvie
post Jan 3 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

I've searched google and had a browse through the West Berks site, but all population data is said to refer to data calculated mid 2008?

User23, you are a whizz on all these kind of things. Can you point me to the 2010 population figures please?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 3 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 3 2011, 07:00 PM) *
I've searched google and had a browse through the West Berks site, but all population data is said to refer to data calculated mid 2008?

User23, you are a whizz on all these kind of things. Can you point me to the 2010 population figures please?

The population of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was approximately 61,113,205 in 2010.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 3 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

'cept he's asking about West Berks. wink.gif

+Quote Post
gizmo
post Jan 3 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 200

Found this on the West Berkshire Council website.

see: http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=19549

Post-census population estimates for West Berkshire
The national census takes place every 10 years - the last being in 2001. In the intervening period the Office for National Statistics produce a series of population estimates at a district (ie. West Berkshire) level. Estimates are published annually - the most recent published in 2010 provides estimates for 2009.

You can find the most up to date population estimates on the Office for National Statistics' website at www.statistics.gov.uk/popest.

The latest estimates (for the year 2009) put West Berkshire's population at 153,000 - a rise of 8,500 people since the 2001 census - or around 6%.

You can find more information about the population of West Berkshire in the District Profile.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 3 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

West Berks are supposed to publish both each February, and it would appear that didn't happen February just gone.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 3 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 3 2011, 08:44 PM) *
'cept he's asking about West Berks. wink.gif

Oh, well! It was a good try.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 3 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 3 2011, 09:22 PM) *
West Berks are supposed to publish both each February, and it would appear that didn't happen February just gone.

Maybe they couldn't, maybe everybody in WB vanished and was replaced drones. And to back up this theory of mine just read the rubbish on this forum. You can't honestly tell me that intelligent beings wrote this rubbish? laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 3 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

As a 100% accurate number is not available - or even meaningful - then a 'best estimate' meets any needs I can imagine. I really do not want Officer time tied up in finding out if the estimate is 1 or 2 out, and what the daily variation is.....

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 3 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

NWN, you don't get the point I am making. I have asked for the verification number (5% of population) which is required to be published every February by legislation. If there is a council published population "figure" that they go by which was published since February, 5% of that figure would be a good starting point. There is a reason I'm asking, but nobody seems to know the answer. If somebody puts a petition in using the 2008 figure, it's instantly void as the 5% figure is not correct.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 3 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jan 3 2011, 09:45 PM) *
Maybe they couldn't, maybe everybody in WB vanished and was replaced drones. And to back up this theory of mine just read the rubbish on this forum. You can't honestly tell me that intelligent beings wrote this rubbish? laugh.gif wink.gif

QED

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 3 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 3 2011, 10:21 PM) *
NWN, you don't get the point I am making. I have asked for the verification number (5% of population) which is required to be published every February by legislation. If there is a council published population "figure" that they go by which was published since February, 5% of that figure would be a good starting point. There is a reason I'm asking, but nobody seems to know the answer. If somebody puts a petition in using the 2008 figure, it's instantly void as the 5% figure is not correct.

Who have you asked?
What is the reason?

I rather suspect you are looking for an issue where none exists. There is no safe means of deciding the population annually, so an estimate that is not wildly unreasonable will do for me.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 4 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I asked Graham Jones and some senior council officers. The purpose is to petition for a referendum on the elected mayor model and we will start collecting signatures this week. But until the council publish the 5% figure, we can't actually submit it.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 4 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 4 2011, 12:05 AM) *
I asked Graham Jones and some senior council officers. The purpose is to petition for a referendum on the elected mayor model and we will start collecting signatures this week. But until the council publish the 5% figure, we can't actually submit it.

Then write a formal letter, as a West Berks resident, to your local West Berkshire Councillor. Ask that person what number of signatures WBC require for a 'referendum petition'. After all, that is what you want to know, not the population.
Unless you are a constituent of Mr Jones he has no direct accountability to you.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 4 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 4 2011, 01:23 AM) *
Then write a formal letter, as a West Berks resident, to your local West Berkshire Councillor. Ask that person what number of signatures WBC require for a 'referendum petition'. After all, that is what you want to know, not the population.
Unless you are a constituent of Mr Jones he has no direct accountability to you.

The process as set out by legislation requires you to request the information from the Chief Exec and the leader of the council. Those requests have already been sent, with Graham Jones suggesting I ask my Labour Party colleagues who introduced the Mayor model!!! Couldn't make it up!!!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 4 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 4 2011, 08:29 AM) *
The process as set out by legislation requires you to request the information from the Chief Exec and the leader of the council. Those requests have already been sent, with Graham Jones suggesting I ask my Labour Party colleagues who introduced the Mayor model!!! Couldn't make it up!!!

If you ask a'political' question then expect a 'political' answer. Ask a simple question and I rather suspect you will get a simple answer. Perhaps your style of communication lets you down......

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 4 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Hardly political. I wrote:

"I am writing to you to request the number of signatures required to force a referendum on the Elected Mayor leadership model. I stated very clearly before the adoption of the strong leader model that the decision should have been delayed until a full and open consultation had been conducted. The response from you Graham that "if you feel strongly enough about the mayor system, put it in your manifesto and let the public decide" is simply not good enough and undemocratic. I made it clear at the time that should our call for a delay on this decision be ignored, we would force a referendum and that is what we fully intend to do."

The mayor option has a lot of support in West Berkshire, but the council stifled the debate to ensure that the only possible outcome of the leadership model consultation was the strong leader model. Luckily there is a mechanism on this legislation that allows the public to request a referendum, and that is the process we are now beginning. Had the consultation been handled correctly, there would be no need for a referendum. In all likelyhood, the petition will be submitted early next month, which would mean an August referendum and if adopted, an election of a mayor next May. The fact is, the leadership model should of been consulted on properly with all available options (only two of them) made available for discussion. It's not what Graham Jones, jeff Brooks or even I think the leadership model should be. It's the people who live in West Berkshire.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 4 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 4 2011, 09:26 AM) *
Hardly political. I wrote:

"I am writing to you to request the number of signatures required to force a referendum on the Elected Mayor leadership model. I stated very clearly before the adoption of the strong leader model that the decision should have been delayed until a full and open consultation had been conducted. The response from you Graham that "if you feel strongly enough about the mayor system, put it in your manifesto and let the public decide" is simply not good enough and undemocratic. I made it clear at the time that should our call for a delay on this decision be ignored, we would force a referendum and that is what we fully intend to do."

Well, all the emboldened text is 'political' to me. All you needed was the first sentence. Even then , the use of the word 'force' is perjorative, in my view. Even mention of the specific purpose for the request is more than is required.

What would be wrong with "Please tell me the number of signatures required for a petition for a referendum to be held in the WBC area under..... (whatever the legislation is)?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 4 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

What's the legislation Richard?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 4 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Perhaps you could start by explaining what the "5% verification number" is all about.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 4 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 4 2011, 10:02 AM) *
Perhaps you could start by explaining what the "5% verification number" is all about.

If you submit a petition signed by over 5% of the population you can force a referendum. Richard needs to know what number of people the council believe that to be because if he collects less than this number of signatories the council must reject the petition.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:31 AM