2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kennet centre car park
tom1
post Aug 13 2013, 06:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 418

Reading about the incident with the car at the car park yesterday I may well be getting confused in my old age but I thought the entrance was in Bartholomew st and the exit in Market st or has Newbury changed that much since I was a boy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 13 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Yes, I thought the exits were in Market Street, though it's many years since I parked there. (helpful linky thing)

I read this:
QUOTE (Thames Valley Police)
Thames Valley Police spokeswoman, Lucy Billen, said police were called at 2.35pm to the Bartholomew Street exit of the shopping centre, after a new, white Toyota Aygo, driven by a woman, with no passengers, collided with an exit barrier and wall at the West Berkshire Council owned car park.

Is it significant that the car was driven by a woman? Shouldn't we also know if she was old, fat, foreign, bespectacled, or wearing a hat?

Can anyone tell me also why the police were involved at all? Rescue tender and ambulance I can understand if the accident was serious (and it sounded rather serious) but police? Was she (the woman that we're told about) suspected of fleeing without paying her parking ticket?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 13 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 09:57 AM) *
Is it significant that the car was driven by a woman?

You forgot to highlight the phrase after that "with no passengers" as well. How else would you describe the occupant(s) of the vehicle to avoid hurting your sensibilities? Driven by a human?

+Quote Post
Claude
post Aug 13 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

For those interested, the link to the story can be found HERE

The bit that confuses me is:

"UPDATE 9.30am

There is currently no exit from the ground floor, with diversions in place."

Where does the diversion take you? To the top level where you have to use a temporary ramp to perform a Duke of Hazzard-style manoeuvre to exit the car park, or is there another secret exit I'm not aware of?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 13 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 13 2013, 10:27 AM) *
You forgot to highlight the phrase after that "with no passengers" as well. How else would you describe the occupant(s) of the vehicle to avoid hurting your sensibilities? Driven by a human?

Unless you tell me otherwise I'm going to assume it was being driven by someone, so you really don't need to say anything at all about the driver, because I'm going to assume that anything you do tell me about the driver is going to be relevant and to have contributed to the accident. This was a TVP press statement remember, I don't actually see why they would be commenting on the incident at all other than maybe to say that they were called to attend an accident at the carpark in which no one was injured, and I certainly don't see how it serves the public interest to profile the driver. Had the driver been male would TVP have described the driver as "a man"?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 13 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 11:51 AM) *
Had the driver been male would TVP have described the driver as "a man"?

Probably, yes.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 13 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DJE @ Aug 13 2013, 12:00 PM) *
Probably, yes.

Actually yes, I expect they would. All the same, it seems arbitrary and unnecessary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GhostMemory
post Aug 13 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,749

QUOTE (Claude @ Aug 13 2013, 11:48 AM) *
Where does the diversion take you? To the top level where you have to use a temporary ramp to perform a Duke of Hazzard-style manoeuvre to exit the car park, or is there another secret exit I'm not aware of?

Just up one level, from which you can then go through the (working) barrier on the ramp downwards.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 13 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Is it significant that the car was driven by a woman?

Yes. If a man had been driving it wouldn't have happened.

Can anyone tell me also why the police were involved at all?

A driver has an accident which could have resulted in serious injury if there were pedestrians in the area. Perhaps a sensible move is to call the police in case there's an issue regarding drunk driving? (a few G&Ts in the afternoon for the old dear) Also there's an insurance issue for both the driver and the owners of the damaged building. The driver is elderly. The police need to check that they are safe to continue driving or consider booking them in for medical checks. That's the sort of thing that only the police can do at these incidents.

QUOTE (Claude @ Aug 13 2013, 11:48 AM) *
There is currently no exit from the ground floor, with diversions in place."

If you park in the ground floor you exit via the ground floor. Park on any other level and you leave via the exit ramp on the first floor.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 11:51 AM) *
Had the driver been male would TVP have described the driver as "a man"?

Only if he was black....

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 13 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Actually yes, I expect they would. All the same, it seems arbitrary and unnecessary.

Perhaps you should object to the "collided with an exit barrier and wall at the West Berkshire Council owned car park." bit too.

Quite unnecessary to point out that the car park is Council owned.

Is there anything else in the article we can get indignant about? I'm really getting into indignation now.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 13 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

If only they'd say whether she's on benefits and lives in a council house, then we could all really boo-hiss.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 13 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 13 2013, 07:27 PM) *
If only they'd say whether she's on benefits and lives in a council house, then we could all really boo-hiss.

Quite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 13 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 13 2013, 06:36 PM) *
A driver has an accident which could have resulted in serious injury if there were pedestrians in the area. Perhaps a sensible move is to call the police in case there's an issue regarding drunk driving? (a few G&Ts in the afternoon for the old dear)

Yes, I hadn't thought of that, good point.

I think I'm indignant because I read the report as "stupid woman driver", which to be fair is my interpretation, but for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on I'm not altogether happy with the police acting as some kind of news agency, and I don't see that gender should be an issue any longer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 13 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 07:43 PM) *

I think I'm indignant because I read the report as "stupid woman driver", which to be fair is my interpretation, but for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on I'm not altogether happy with the police acting as some kind of news agency, and I don't see that gender should be an issue any longer.
Most local papers would struggle to fill their pages if the police didn't release statements about their activities.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 13 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Was the driver ginger haired? No mention was made of any fluid loss from the vehicle, a very serious issue - we wouldn't want to put Thames Water to any more expense stopping it entering the ground water.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 13 2013, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The car was written off in this senseless act and more of the Earth's valuable resources have again been wasted, leaving a terrible legacy for mankind...

On a positive note however, there's now one car's worth less of CO2 emissions being pumped into the atmosphere to worry ourselves about.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Aug 13 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (tom1 @ Aug 13 2013, 06:04 AM) *
Reading about the incident with the car at the car park yesterday I may well be getting confused in my old age but I thought the entrance was in Bartholomew st and the exit in Market st or has Newbury changed that much since I was a boy.

Obviously the journalists nwn employ are not local

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 13 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 13 2013, 06:36 PM) *
Yes. If a man had been driving it wouldn't have happened.

Only if he was black....

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 13 2013, 07:27 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 14 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Well, this is really a minor news item, but the length of the thread shows we must have enjoyed it. Who says NWN ain't great value!!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 14 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 13 2013, 07:43 PM) *

the NWN will fall back on the GMR defence - that thery just reported the 'facts' & you read into them your own preconcieved ideas. Be they positive or negative....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:17 AM