Total Votes: 18
Guests cannot vote 
Richard Garvie
post Feb 24 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Which way are you going to vote? I'm probably voting no.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Feb 24 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

what are we voting on?

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Feb 24 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

Yes what are we voting on ??

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 24 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

on whether to adopt AV as the new voting method. First past the post is what we use now (one vote per person) and AV is when you list the candidates in numerical order. That way, if you vote BNP say, and they come last, your vote is used again based on who your second preference was. If it was Monster Raving Loony Party, and they came second last and nobody had 50% of the total vote, your third preference would then be used.

I personally think we should only get one vote per person, and whoever has the most votes should win. Search yes to AV and No to AV on google for the official sites of both campaigns. I will warn you though, it all appears to be based on ideaology rather than facts, so I'll just stick with what I think is best and that's what we should all do, vote based on what we believe is the most effective way to elect MP's etc.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 24 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

You should have added 'Don't Care' in your poll.

Typical politician!

+Quote Post
Simon
post Feb 24 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

and the point of voting is........... wink.gif

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 24 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Feb 24 2011, 11:00 AM) *
and the point of voting is........... wink.gif

Do you mean in this poll or in general?

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Feb 24 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

I vote yes then anything to upset the apple cart

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Feb 24 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

What's proportional representation then ?

+Quote Post
Simon
post Feb 24 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 24 2011, 11:05 AM) *
Do you mean in this poll or in general?

In General - I and many other people i know have lost all interest in voting. There are no politicians out there that listen to what this country actually wants/needs

All parties seem to be too similar in what they are saying and none of them actually follow through with any promises.

MP's are a joke!!!

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 24 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Feb 24 2011, 12:33 PM) *
In General - I and many other people i know have lost all interest in voting. There are no politicians out there that listen to what this country actually wants/needs

All parties seem to be too similar in what they are saying and none of them actually follow through with any promises.

MP's are a joke!!!

Too true. You only have to read this board.

I have never voted & never will. I almost voted for our own Apolitical Democrats, but actually voting was not being Apolitical, so couldn't.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Feb 24 2011, 02:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

The current system is an absolute disgrace. In NW Hampshire where I currently reside the local Conservative MP achieved 58.3% of the vote in the 2010 general election. If I vote anything other than Conservative in this constituency then my vote is essentially a wasted vote. I would personally like to see a more direct link between the percentage of votes cast for each party nationally and the percentage of MPs from each party elected. In my opinion this is the only way to reduce the falling turnout and revive interest in politics. Obviously the two main parties are against this because in different parts of the country they both hold seats with huge majorities and general elections at the moment can essentially be fought just in the marginal seats, which reduces campaign expenditure.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 24 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

With the current system the vote is for the person, and the winner is supposed to work for all constituents regardless of who they voted for.
All other systems are a dilution of that, moving towards a vote for a party, with the winning party deciding who the representatives will be based on their own priority list.

I prefer the current system on the basis it is not perfect, but is better than the others.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 24 2011, 06:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Feb 24 2011, 02:01 PM) *
The current system is an absolute disgrace. In NW Hampshire where I currently reside the local Conservative MP achieved 58.3% of the vote in the 2010 general election. If I vote anything other than Conservative in this constituency then my vote is essentially a wasted vote.

Your vote wasn't wasted, you just didn't vote for the guy who got the majority of votes. That's how representative democracy works.

The rules for AV are very like the rules fore One Tune to the Tune of Another, excepting they're more complicated.

I'm voting no.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 24 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Simon @ Feb 24 2011, 12:33 PM) *

MP's are a joke!!!

The question should be who would you preferred to be screwed by A? B? C?

I can fully see why the common man has lost all faith in politics. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 24 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

The current system is an absolute disgrace. In NW Hampshire where I currently reside the local Conservative MP achieved 58.3% of the vote in the 2010 general election. If I vote anything other than Conservative in this constituency then my vote is essentially a wasted vote. I would personally like to see a more direct link between the percentage of votes cast for each party nationally and the percentage of MPs from each party elected. In my opinion this is the only way to reduce the falling turnout and revive interest in politics. Obviously the two main parties are against this because in different parts of the country they both hold seats with huge majorities and general elections at the moment can essentially be fought just in the marginal seats, which reduces campaign expenditure.
Sounds like you're in favour of Proportional Representation then.

I'll be voting Yes for AV. I think it's a fairer system than FPP.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 24 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 24 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Sounds like you're in favour of Proportional Representation then.

I'll be voting Yes for AV. I think it's a fairer system than FPP.

Alright then, my first preference is to vote no, and then my second preference is to vote for whoever User voted for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 24 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Even with AV, if the Conservative MP get's over 50%, nothing changes. Same here in Newbury, Benyon would still be the MP with or without AV last time round. The only Labour members I know who want this are those who live in Tory Labour marginals and they want it because they think it gives them a free ticket to Parliament. The Lib Dems want it because they will have more seats overall (well, providing their vote doesn't collapse after the coalition like the greens is expected to in Ireland).

I agree with a lot of posts on here, the only reason people would vote for AV is to get some kind of advantage, which is wrong. I don't know what the answer is, but it certainly isn't AV.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 24 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Richard, I agree with your analysis in terms of what the parties believe, but are the libdems right to think they'll get more MPs? With PR yes, but AV? Al lthings being equal AV will still pretty much return the same result as FPP won't it? I can't see any particular reason for the alternative vote of the third placed candidate to go preferentially to the second placed. Am I missing something?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 24 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 24 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Richard, I agree with your analysis in terms of what the parties believe, but are the libdems right to think they'll get more MPs? With PR yes, but AV? Al lthings being equal AV will still pretty much return the same result as FPP won't it? I can't see any particular reason for the alternative vote of the third placed candidate to go preferentially to the second placed. Am I missing something?

Depends on how many candidates stand etc. As someone else pointed out, under FPTP, an MP should represent the whole community, and if not, will soon find themselves out on their ear. AV may even help Labour boost it's share in Newbury, but that's no reason to support it on it's own. If I was selfish, I'd be going for it like a shot, but having met people like Brian Burgess, David Yates and the like, AV would pretty much kill off any chance of them getting elected. How is that a fair system? If somebody wants to stand on a local ticket, they shouldn't be excluded by a system that is designed to favour the big three parties. Deep down, the Tories and the Lib Dems know this, as do Labour. But like everything at the minute, the politicians we have seem to vote for whatever suits them and that's not right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:43 PM