IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What needs to improve in Newbury to make the town centre better?
Richard Garvie
post Dec 20 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

With all of the talk about a BID project, I thought it may be a good idea to have a thread of things you would like to see done to improve Newbury as a shopping & leisure destination. They could be short term goals or long term aspirations, just things that you believe Newbury needs. Mine would be:

Signs at all approaches to town centre detailing parking spaces in Parkway / Kennet Centre etc.
Reintroduce CCTV cameras cut by the council
Rather than employing community wardens, use funds to employ area specific PCSO's
Do not divert buses via Parkway as it will be congested enough
Public transport interchange at Newbury Rail station, with additional parking capacity
A solution to Robin Hood Roundabout
A leisure hub to replace the bus station with additional parking
An arts facility to replace New Greenham built behind the museum and the Corn Exchange, with the arts facility linked to the museum to allow visiting exhibits etc. and end the ambitions to build on Victoria Park
Scrap the wharf proposal - do we really need it?
Relocate the Waterside Centre to allow development of that site
Rebuild the cafe on Victoria Park with accomodation for pond boats and canoes from the Waterside Centre / convert toilets on park into changing rooms for sport pitch
Put covenants in place to prevent Northcroft from being built on.
Cul de sac the retail units off the A4 at Faraday Road, with access to the industrial area via a new access point on the A339 to relieve pressure on the A4 / Robin Hood

Just some ideas to get started, what do you think we need?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 20 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

The toilets at Park Way definatly need improving - they are awful. So cold and gloomy.
Would love a brilliant toy shop - I do go into Open and Shut but the choice is limited and it is very small in there.
A childrens clothes shop also in the town would be great - used to love going into Adams before it closed down.
Have the Market Square closed to all vehicles, I thought it was going to be Alfresco dining - impossible when taxis/buses are allowed through in the day. It should be closed to ALL vehicles

A solution to Robin Hood Roundabout - I actually like the new layout - it would just help if drivers bothered getting into the correct lane

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Dec 20 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

A childrens clothes shop also in the town would be great - used to love going into Adams before it closed down.

That would be good.

Also, a Japanese resturant. The reopening of the museum would be nice, with a bit for an art gallery instead of building on Victoria Park.

More French, Italian and Farmers markets, but at realistic prices.

Lastly, definetly a toy shop!!!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 20 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 20 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Also, a Japanese restaurant.

Well, the last one couldn't make a go of it and didn't last too long.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Dec 20 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 20 2010, 03:44 PM) *
Well, the last one couldn't make a go of it and didn't last too long.

Yeah apparently the manager didn't have a yen for business....

wink.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 20 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Nothing.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 20 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Dec 20 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Also, a Japanese resturant.

Top Tip: Go into one of the many Chinese restaurants in the town, order something with fish in and ask them to serve it raw.... It's just like you're in Yo! Sushi (if you squint your eyes)

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 20 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 20 2010, 03:16 AM) *
Mine would be:

Signs at all approaches to town centre detailing parking spaces in Parkway / Kennet Centre etc.
Reintroduce CCTV cameras cut by the council
Rather than employing community wardens, use funds to employ area specific PCSO's
Do not divert buses via Parkway as it will be congested enough
Public transport interchange at Newbury Rail station, with additional parking capacity
A solution to Robin Hood Roundabout
A leisure hub to replace the bus station with additional parking
An arts facility to replace New Greenham built behind the museum and the Corn Exchange, with the arts facility linked to the museum to allow visiting exhibits etc. and end the ambitions to build on Victoria Park
Scrap the wharf proposal - do we really need it?
Relocate the Waterside Centre to allow development of that site
Rebuild the cafe on Victoria Park with accomodation for pond boats and canoes from the Waterside Centre / convert toilets on park into changing rooms for sport pitch
Put covenants in place to prevent Northcroft from being built on.
Cul de sac the retail units off the A4 at Faraday Road, with access to the industrial area via a new access point on the A339 to relieve pressure on the A4 / Robin Hood

Just some ideas to get started, what do you think we need?

None of the above.

1. Free car parking (false economy)
2. Scrap CCTV (it doesn't work)
3. Scrap wardens (use volunteers instead)
4. Scrap the Vision (it's counterproductive)
5. Give me my tax back from the above, so I can spend it in Newbury town centre.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 20 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bofem @ Dec 20 2010, 10:11 PM) *
None of the above.

1. Free car parking (false economy)
2. Scrap CCTV (it doesn't work)
4. Scrap the Vision (it's counterproductive)
5. Give me my tax back from the above, so I can spend it in Newbury town centre.
How will you get tax back from scrapping parking charges?

Surely with less revenue coming in they'll have to put up taxes to make up the shortfall.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 20 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Bofem @ Dec 20 2010, 10:11 PM) *

Do you mean the parking wardens? If so I think you'd be pushed to find volunteers that would be willing enough (and knowledgeable enough on what constitutes 'illegal parking') to put up with the sort of abuse that some motorists dish out when they find they've been given a parking ticket I'm sure............

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 20 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 20 2010, 10:16 PM) *
How will you get tax back from scrapping parking charges?

Surely with less revenue coming in they'll have to put up taxes to make up the shortfall.

Depends on whether car parking makes a profit.

The real downer from free parking would be that the sale of an acre or so of prime development land for £1 would generate zero income rather than the £300k pa that is supposed to come WBC's way (eventually). Which raises a question - are SLI paying this to WBC for 2010/11 as it was their decision to delay opening for a year? Or are we council taxpayers taking the hit?

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 20 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (spartacus @ Dec 20 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Do you mean the parking wardens? If so I think you'd be pushed to find volunteers that would be willing enough (and knowledgeable enough on what constitutes 'illegal parking') to put up with the sort of abuse that some motorists dish out when they find they've been given a parking ticket I'm sure............

No. The Neighbourhood Wardens....they cost taxpayers c£200k a year to "reduce the fear of crime". Fear of crime has gone up 30% in that time, and reported crime 25% (since 2003). I'm sure they're nice people but it's a failed experiment.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 21 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

To improve Newbury shopping centre you will need more and better parking. Otherwise members will go outside Newbury to buy their goods.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 21 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Listening to other people (I couldn't care) it seems variety of shops is one big reason for deciding what town to go shopping. The other reason often cited is certain stores that might not exists in other towns. I never hear people in the real world explain that they would like to go to certain places but are put off by the parking charges. Usually, driving to an alternative location costs more than the price to park in Newbury anyway.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 21 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 21 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Listening to other people (I couldn't care) it seems variety of shops is one big reason for deciding what town to go shopping. The other reason often is certain stores that might not exists in other towns. I never hear people in the real world explain that they would like to go to certain places but are put off by the parking charges. Usually, driving to a place costs more than the price to park anyway.

I wasn't talking about the 'expense' but more car parking places. Granted; free parking could make a difference as out of town supply them.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 21 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Dec 21 2010, 05:50 PM) *
I wasn't talking about the 'expense' but more car parking places. Granted; free parking could make a difference as out of town supply them.

And I wasn't replying directly to you.

I do know some people, however, who have fairly large vehicles and don't go into Newbury because of the small car parks.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 21 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 21 2010, 05:52 PM) *
And I wasn't replying directly to you.

I do know some people, however, who have fairly large vehicles and don't go into Newbury because of the small car parks.

Good.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 21 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 21 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Good.

Fascinating.

These people also have wallets in proportion to their cars. Incidentally, there are some people with more dannyboy approved sized cars that tend to avoid going to Newbury for similar reasons as well.

To coin a phrase: you seem to be showing your spiteful side as well lately.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 21 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 21 2010, 06:51 PM) *
Fascinating. These people also have wallets in proportion to their cars. To coin a phrase: you seem to be showing your spiteful side as well lately.

What, because someone in a Range Rover won't come to town because they can't drive it? I don't think there is anything spiteful about that. Good becase it aviods the kind of chaos you get in Sainsbury's come 5pm. Drivers of large cars attempting 15 point turns because they can't estimate where their bumpers are.

Having driven lots of different sized vehicles in my time, and managed to park them all, I can't see the issue.

Does one's wallet size mean you support local indies?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 21 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 21 2010, 06:59 PM) *
What, because someone in a Range Rover won't come to town because they can't drive it?

Who said that? that's your assertion. Whilst you vent your spleen, had you not thought that it might also be because they are concerned about drivers of more 'dannyboy approved size vehicles' who might not drive and park with the same care as they do either?

Having driven lots of different sized vehicles in my time, and managed to park them all, I can't see the issue.

Of course you don't, but then if everyone was as good as you, you wouldn't stand out from the crowd.

Does one's wallet size mean you support local indies?

What are you talking about? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:06 PM