Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Olympic legacy, Anyone for cricket ?
lordtup
post Aug 13 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

So that odious toad " flashman" has decided to invest £ 1 billion in encouraging our obese over indulgent offspring to take up sport as a means to build on the foundation of the recent Olympic success .
Now apart from the fact that half the GB competitors enjoyed the privilege of a private education where the desire to excel is de rigueur , can you honestly tell me that throwing money at the problem is going to encourage the local youth away from their computers and on to a playing field ( if they haven't built on it ) ?
I know it's an old cliche but when I was young hoofing a ball around on a Saturday afternoon was the norm . No one came to watch us ,pay for Mother to wash our muddy clothes or encourage us to run faster , apart from the odd local resident whose window received an errant cricket ball.
I don't know how many ,if any, of my friends ended up in the sporting arena because most of us discovered girls just before HM Government discovered us and dispatched us off for national service and a life of making good , but I am sure those who were competent enough made it.
Like in most things it is down to an individuals desire to reach the zenith of their ability , not some ministerial directive. angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 13 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Even if half of team GB did have had a private education, that means that over 200 of them didn't. So where did they get their inspiration from? Surely if so much as one child was inspired to take up a sport as a result of the Olympics, then job done. The fact is subscriptions to Athletic, Gymnastic, Diving, Swimming clubs etc... will increase as a result. You can paint a negative view on this but the future Enis, Tancock or Joshua will be among them

+Quote Post
KMcC
post Aug 13 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 234

our obese over indulgent offspring? what a sweeping generalisation, look at the very successful athletics club in Newbury where they have a waiting list of 6 months plus

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 13 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Why were all the volunteers wearing Sainsbury uniform?

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 18 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

Having some friends in the Deptford area and having seen how desperately poor some of the local people are, I'm sure that the small local Bangladeshi community there will certainly be motivated by having a world class dressage center on their doorstep. I suspect it's just what they've always wanted.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Aug 18 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 08:04 PM) *
Having some friends in the Deptford area and having seen how desperately poor some of the local people are, I'm sure that the small local Bangladeshi community there will certainly be motivated by having a world class dressage center on their doorstep. I suspect it's just what they've always wanted.

So, how can you help these desperately poor people?

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 18 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Aug 18 2012, 08:31 PM) *
So, how can you help these desperately poor people?

Oh, I do what I can. Certainly the dressage center has been the number one topic on everyone's lips.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Aug 18 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 09:58 PM) *
Oh, I do what I can.

OK, please tell us how you help these people.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 18 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Oh, what a shame. If only LOCOG had known I'm sure they would have built a permanent dressage centre, sadly the one they did build was only a temporary arena.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 19 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Aug 18 2012, 10:00 PM) *
OK, please tell us how you help these people.

I take one of the horses from the top meadow, and, (at my own expense mind) take it to Deptford and show them all how to make a horse walk sideways. A true legacy. Since the arena is actually being pulled down soon, it will be up to the horse riding wealthy to show these people what can be done if they try.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 19 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

up to the horse riding wealthy

Ah, ther real issue for you eh?

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 19 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 19 2012, 12:53 PM) *
up to the horse riding wealthy

Ah, ther real issue for you eh?

Yes, I'm fed up with being labeled as one. That's why I'm trying to give a bit back.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Funny how country life works.
Daughter has ridden since she was Thellwell age.
We tried to convince her no horse...vets fees and sweetitch.

There is a field behind our place.We tried to buy it with a neighbour, . Far too expensive. A long time ago
The owner used to keep rare breed sheep, which sometimes got through the fence,
...fun chasing them back for the kids..
And there was a lovely cow (no jokes)with a small one.

Anyway the parents both passed And of course they want to buy our houses... This is a small Norfolk village.
The Highways agency will not allow it exit to a main road. So I guess it is still buy the next cottage, and knock it down
Parish Council are firm against....but who cares.
ce

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:35 AM