4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rail tickets from the Racecourse station
Carshot
post May 16 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 468

Is it not time that a ticket machine was installed at Newbury Racecourse railway station? Particularly with the increased use from the new properties built there. Currently there is none, and (some) ticket inspectors insist you should get off at the first station where there are ticketing facilities and then re-board to continue your journey. I queued for 10 minutes at Reading yesterday to buy a ticket and leave the station. An app that would allow purchasing a ticket (that did not require visiting a station with printing facilities) would help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 16 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Carshot @ May 16 2016, 09:32 AM) *
Is it not time that a ticket machine was installed at Newbury Racecourse railway station? Particularly with the increased use from the new properties built there. Currently there is none, and (some) ticket inspectors insist you should get off at the first station where there are ticketing facilities and then re-board to continue your journey. I queued for 10 minutes at Reading yesterday to buy a ticket and leave the station. An app that would allow purchasing a ticket (that did not require visiting a station with printing facilities) would help.

I'm not sure the inspectors are supposed to be doing that. There are several stations where machines aren't installed, or sometime out of action. I quite often see passengers pay the inspector without any fuss or comment. So, if ever one suggesting doing what you've said, simply use your mobile and call GW; they'll put him straight.

Lack of machines at rural stations can perhaps be forgiven given the predilection of the British drunk to vandalise anything that has buttons and lights. Hopefully, GWs IT people are well on the way to delivering something like the TfL Oyster or cashless solutions which will solve the problem completely.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Carshot
post May 16 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 468

Re-reading my posting I could/should have been clearer. I meant to say in the instance where there was no opportunity to buy a ticket on the train from the Racecourse. Where there is an inspector on the train from the Racecourse I have been sold a ticket without a problem. When I have travelled, for instance to Oxford without a chance to buy a ticket I am told by Oxford station inspectors I should have queued at Reading to buy a ticket. I agree the solution you suggest would work well & hope it is in the pipeline

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 16 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Carshot @ May 16 2016, 11:43 AM) *
Re-reading my posting I could/should have been clearer. I meant to say in the instance where there was no opportunity to buy a ticket on the train from the Racecourse. Where there is an inspector on the train from the Racecourse I have been sold a ticket without a problem. When I have travelled, for instance to Oxford without a chance to buy a ticket I am told by Oxford station inspectors I should have queued at Reading to buy a ticket. I agree the solution you suggest would work well & hope it is in the pipeline

Ah I see. Looks like there are some Inspectors who need a sharp lesson in customer service then. A stiff letter to the CEO might help; pointing out that if this ill conceived demand is right, then good manners. If not good customer service means they should post effective notices at the station gate, properly resource trains and ticket offices at all times. Sadly, this isn't an uncommon phenomenon when little people are given uniforms to wear; so making a formal complaint might well help.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I have in the past just took a picture with my phone of the Out of Order message, then boarded the train.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 16 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Awhile back, I got on at Thatcham when the machine was down, changed at Reading onto the Guildford train where the conductor issued me with a return ticket without any comment. It may just be that the Oxford inspector had a strop on.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Carshot @ May 16 2016, 11:43 AM) *
in the instance where there was no opportunity to buy a ticket on the train from the Racecourse. Where there is an inspector on the train from the Racecourse I have been sold a ticket without a problem. When I have travelled, for instance to Oxford without a chance to buy a ticket I am told by Oxford station inspectors I should have queued at Reading to buy a ticket.

Can I draw your attention to the second clause "You must travel with a valid ticket" paragraph 2 here.
Also while youre on that page click on "revenue protection policy" and scroll to page 13 second clause down "Buy your ticket as soon as you can".
Then click on "buying before you board" and have a look at page 4 clause 3 "Can I buy my ticket at my destination if I am in a rush?"

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

In a nutshell, if there are no facilities to buy a ticket you may broad the train so long as you buy one at the next practical opportunity, but you will risk being fined if you cannot provide a reasonable excuse to be without a valid ticket. Being in a rush or not having enough time to buy are not legitimate reasons for boarding without a ticket.

I once boarded without a ticket, but the station only had a part-time ticket office which was closed and the ticket machine was out of order. I took a picture of the error on the screen and boarded the train.

Sometimes there is a ticket inspector who will ask to see tickets from new passengers and might sell a ticket then. In my case there wasn't and while my train stopped at Reading I wasn't changing train.

When I arrived at my destination they were inspecting all tickets and I had to explain why I was without a ticket. I was also asked for my proper home address and the station I first boarded, I was then sold a ticket at the normal price.

The whole time I felt it was by discretion and I may have been fined and would have needed to appeal to get my fine cancelled.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 17 2016, 05:57 PM) *
In a nutshell, if there are no facilities to buy a ticket you may broad the train so long as you buy one at the next practical opportunity, but you will risk being fined if you cannot provide a reasonable excuse to be without a valid ticket. Being in a rush or not having enough time to buy are not legitimate reasons for boarding without a ticket.

I once boarded without a ticket, but the station only had a part-time ticket office which was closed and the ticket machine was out of order. I took a picture of the error on the screen and boarded the train.

Sometimes there is a ticket inspector who will ask to see tickets from new passengers and might sell a ticket then. In my case there wasn't and while my train stopped at Reading I wasn't changing train.

When I arrived at my destination they were inspecting all tickets and I had to explain why I was without a ticket. I also gave my proper home address and the station I first boarded, I was then sold a ticket at the normal price.

That's correct. You must buy at the first available opportunity.
This means that if there is a ticket seller or train manager on board it is your responsibility to approach them and buy, not the other way round.
ALL HSS services have a train manager who can sell you a ticket. (Unless their machine is out of order, which will have been notified to staff).

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

So further to the above, one is not expected to get off at a station en route solely to buy a ticket, but you will be if you have to change trains or the train is timetabled to wait with sufficient time to do so. What happens if the first journey is delayed leaving little or no time for the connection is not clear, but a would imagine that would be accepted.

It looks to me they can spot a genuine case and someone trying it on.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 17 2016, 06:13 PM) *
So further to the above, one is not expected to get off at a station en route solely to buy a ticket, but you will be if you have to change trains or the train is timetabled to wait with sufficient time to do so.

Correct.
What happens if the first journey is delayed leaving little or no time for the connection is not clear, but a would imagine that would be accepted.

Probably not. You must buy a ticket at the station you change at if facilities are available regardless of how long you have to do so.
If you board at a station where facilities are not available (you can check beforehand if so) then you must make provision to buy at the first opportunity. However, see last sentence below!!
It looks to me they can spot a genuine case and someone trying it on.

Yes they can, but a lot also depends on the attitude of the passenger. Give a load of lip or abuse and you will probably make things worse for yourself.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 17 2016, 06:28 PM) *
Probably not. You must buy a ticket at the station you change at if facilities are available regardless of how long you have to do so.

In the event your train has been delayed, to then not accept you had no time to buy a ticket and catch your connection is crap. If that is the case then they deserve to get ripped off on my view.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 17 2016, 06:53 PM) *
In the event your train has been delayed, to then not accept you had no time to buy a ticket and catch your connection is crap.

Agreed.
Like I said, if you explain the situation (and they can check) in a calm pleasant manner, then it is unlikely you will be penalised.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 17 2016, 06:56 PM) *
Agreed.
Like I said, if you explain the situation (and they can check) in a calm pleasant manner, then it is unlikely you will be penalised.

Then why did you just say probably not? Or did you misread/understand what I wrote? huh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 17 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Bikers outline of the rules and interpretation of their implementation is really illuminating. I'm minded to get in touch with the passenger focus groups, this is quite outrageous. In effect, using nineteenth century powers and rules to impose quite unreasonable service standards.

There is no reason why this 'rule' which is quite important for travellers shouldn't be published on a very clear notice by the entry gate of unmanned stations. Equally, the railway company should provide easy and fast provision for accepting payment on ALL trains. What's wrong with an onboard vending machine for trains with no conductor? If that is too much trouble, why, with the massive sum spent on rebuilding Reading Station does it take so long to buy a ticket? Yes, I appreciate some passengers are likely to react very badly when confronted in today's railway environment; but given this lamentable service standard, it's not surprising. Sad really; we are spending all these millions, but there won't be any real improvement until rail management attitudes are modernised.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 17 2016, 06:57 PM) *
Then why did you just say probably not?

Because most passengers, when challenged, rather than give a reasoned explanation in a calm manner, become angry, rude or abusive.
Technically, if a ticket was not purchased at the changing station then it is an irregularity but, like most in authority (apart from traffic wardens) most will accept a valid reason if politely explained.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 17 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 17 2016, 08:17 PM) *
Because most passengers, when challenged, rather than give a reasoned explanation in a calm manner, become angry, rude or abusive.
Technically, if a ticket was not purchased at the changing station then it is an irregularity but, like most in authority (apart from traffic wardens) most will accept a valid reason if politely explained.

Spot on

BUT

If the rail company has frustrated the purchase of a ticket by failing to make proper provision at the station, or as a reasonable person might reasonably expect, on the train or at Reading with efficiency, then the passenger can reasonably be expected to be frustrated.....with the usual result!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 17 2016, 07:09 PM) *
Bikers outline of the rules and interpretation of their implementation is really illuminating. I'm minded to get in touch with the passenger focus groups, this is quite outrageous. In effect, using nineteenth century powers and rules to impose quite unreasonable service standards.

There is no reason why this 'rule' which is quite important for travellers shouldn't be published on a very clear notice by the entry gate of unmanned stations. Equally, the railway company should provide easy and fast provision for accepting payment on ALL trains. What's wrong with an onboard vending machine for trains with no conductor? If that is too much trouble, why, with the massive sum spent on rebuilding Reading Station does it take so long to buy a ticket? Yes, I appreciate some passengers are likely to react very badly when confronted in today's railway environment; but given this lamentable service standard, it's not surprising. Sad really; we are spending all these millions, but there won't be any real improvement until rail management attitudes are modernised.

I agree with much of what you say OTE.
There should be someone to take fares on all trains that call at unmanned stations.
I would imagine, what with DOO trains etc. the reason is to cut staff costs.
If some of the TOC's have their way many more ticket offices will close. Some have already. (not GWR yet).
Unfortunately some members of our society find ways of breaking into even the most secure ticket vending machines (TVM's) so they do not hold or take cash any more.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 17 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 17 2016, 08:31 PM) *
If the rail company has frustrated the purchase of a ticket by failing to make proper provision at the station, or as a reasonable person might reasonably expect, on the train or at Reading with efficiency, then the passenger can reasonably be expected to be frustrated.....with the usual result!

Again I agree, except there is NO excuse for taking out ones frustrations on the front end people who are trying to do the job for which they were employed and trained.
It has no effect on improving things whatsoever.
Direct your venom at those who can make a difference. There are many ways of doing so.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 17 2016, 08:17 PM) *

All staff on FGW (or whatever it is called) have been fine I have found, but then I'm a genuine punter I suppose. My beef with trains is usually based around Railtrack, but then I would imagine they have their challenges too. Like I have said before, I'm not a fan of Reading station.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:04 PM