Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is that WHIFF??
spartacus
post Sep 17 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Well I know what the whiff IS, but what's being done about it? Smelt it again today while walking in town and gagged ....before checking the bottom of my shoes for dog sludge...

The 'temporary' Kennet Centre toilets in Bartholomew Street smell DIS..GUSTING from a distance of approximately 25 metres... Gawd knows what happened to the last person to venture IN to said portacabin for a long dump. A couple of minutes for a slash may be acceptable as that can be managed without breathing in.... But a 'sit-down' job whilst reading a copy of Newbury's finest publication, the Weekly News, would be impossible without full protective equipment, breathing apparatus and a full body scrub on completion of the paperwork...

It's been stinkin' for weeks now.... AND it's near to the Varsity (as was) smoking area.. Naked flames and that smell is a lethal combination. Has anyone else noticed or is it just my finely tuned nasal passages sucking up this lovely air?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 17 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I cycle through town everyday and I have never smelled anything. Maybe the offender only targets certain sensitive noses. wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 17 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 17 2009, 10:52 PM) *
I cycle through town everyday and I have never smelled anything.
Aah! CYCLING through eh? Whizzing past at speed maybe?
I suggest you jump off the bike and take a slow walk out from the Kennet Centre entrance (the one by the car park stairs) and wander towards Wild Sports (ish). There's a smell there some days that will knock your bicycle clips off.....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 17 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (spartacus @ Sep 18 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Aah! CYCLING through eh? Whizzing past at speed maybe?
I suggest you jump off the bike and take a slow walk out from the Kennet Centre entrance (the one by the car park stairs) and wander towards Wild Sports (ish). There's a smell there some days that will knock your bicycle clips off.....

I usually stop when going through town and today I stopped at the market to get my dog a bone. But I'll take you up on your offer and have a sniff around "Wild Sports" to see if it knocks my nonexistent bicycle clips off. However, I do listen to my MP3 player while cycling so we shall see if that gets knocks that off. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Sep 18 2009, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (spartacus @ Sep 17 2009, 10:30 PM) *
Well I know what the whiff IS, but what's being done about it? Smelt it again today while walking in town and gagged ....before checking the bottom of my shoes for dog sludge...

The 'temporary' Kennet Centre toilets in Bartholomew Street smell DIS..GUSTING from a distance of approximately 25 metres... Gawd knows what happened to the last person to venture IN to said portacabin for a long dump. A couple of minutes for a slash may be acceptable as that can be managed without breathing in.... But a 'sit-down' job whilst reading a copy of Newbury's finest publication, the Weekly News, would be impossible without full protective equipment, breathing apparatus and a full body scrub on completion of the paperwork...

It's been stinkin' for weeks now.... AND it's near to the Varsity (as was) smoking area.. Naked flames and that smell is a lethal combination. Has anyone else noticed or is it just my finely tuned nasal passages sucking up this lovely air?

My husband has noticed the offending whiff and told me that it was because the builders are working on all the 'essential' services for underground piping such as 'waste' pipes! What a lovely job! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 18 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Its a disgusting smell. Makes me wretch when I walk past.

I don't think they have bothered emptying the toilets since they were installed the stink is so bad. How anyone could actualy use them is beyond me without using some sort of gas mask.

Who is responsible for them? Complaints should be made. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Sep 18 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #7

Guests

It is awful, especially on warmer days.

I'm a veteran of Reading Rock Festival and I can say without doubt that even at their worst the toilets there have never smelt like the temporary Kennett Centre ones do sometimes.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 21 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 18 2009, 12:09 AM) *
I usually stop when going through town and today I stopped at the market to get my dog a bone. But I'll take you up on your offer and have a sniff around "Wild Sports" to see if it knocks my nonexistent bicycle clips off. However, I do listen to my MP3 player while cycling so we shall see if that gets knocks that off. wink.gif

Sorry GMR but I really must take issue with your cycling protocol . With , at an educated guess , the pounding beat of a heavy metal band pulsating through your cranium it is doubtful that you have total control over your 2 wheeled hot rod .

May I be so bold as to suggest leaving the one pod at home and listen to the surrounding traffic so as to be aware of impending doom .

We can't be critical of the younger element if those of us of maturing status flout the obvious .

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
HJD
post Sep 22 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 21 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Sorry GMR but I really must take issue with your cycling protocol . With , at an educated guess , the pounding beat of a heavy metal band pulsating through your cranium it is doubtful that you have total control over your 2 wheeled hot rod .

May I be so bold as to suggest leaving the one pod at home and listen to the surrounding traffic so as to be aware of impending doom .

We can't be critical of the younger element if those of us of maturing status flout the obvious .

rolleyes.gif

One of my pet hates is the 'wired for sound' pedestrian who wanders aimlessly across the road completely oblivious to the real world around them. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 22 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Sep 22 2009, 06:48 PM) *
One of my pet hates is the 'wired for sound' pedestrian who wanders aimlessly across the road completely oblivious to the real world around them. rolleyes.gif

The teenage female with mobile phone in perpetual use seem to be the worst offenders . The idea that they can " multifunction " is obviously a myth

sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 23 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 22 2009, 07:09 PM) *
The teenage female with mobile phone in perpetual use seem to be the worst offenders . The idea that they can " multifunction " is obviously a myth

sad.gif

Yes, and looking at some of them, who on earth can they be talking to.
Probably the speaking clock. laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 23 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Sep 23 2009, 08:58 AM) *
Yes, and looking at some of them, who on earth can they be talking to.
Probably the speaking clock. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
munch
post Sep 24 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 324

I'm gonna bring this post back to the original subject for a moment....

I too have noticed a distinct whiff around Newbury recently, generally around the hidious portacabin toilets next to the kennet centre, however today the whiff seemed to extend down to northbrook street!

This got me to thinking again how unkept Newbury seems to have become. Although I admit that there are worse places to live, I have recently began to feel that Newbury is starting to look untidy and generally unclean! I always see the litlle bin men around town 'picking up litter' however I quite frequently still see litter lying around! What is that all about? Am I alone in thinking this?

Also I must admit that I am one of those people who walk around town with my mobile attached to my ear on my lunch break! and no it's not to thetalking clock! :-)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 24 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think that since Veolia took over the contract, street cleaning has vastly improved. I did see a young man who was street sweeping the other day though who was stood next to his cart, leant on his broom taking huge swigs of Coca Cola from a bottle. Next to him were two old chip wrappers blowong about in the road. I know he is entitled to a break, but if you're just going to stop in front of everyone to take it, don't stand right next to a mess you should have cleaned up already!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 24 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Walked past there this morning and smelt nothing. Perhaps some are a little too far up, as it were...

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 25 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 24 2009, 09:45 PM) *
I think that since Veolia took over the contract, street cleaning has vastly improved. I did see a young man who was street sweeping the other day though who was stood next to his cart, leant on his broom taking huge swigs of Coca Cola from a bottle. Next to him were two old chip wrappers blowong about in the road. I know he is entitled to a break, but if you're just going to stop in front of everyone to take it, don't stand right next to a mess you should have cleaned up already!

Yes, you have a point but I think you should cut them some slack. Those boys are probably not politically aware as some of us and perhaps are not consious of he impression they give however they are doing a good job of keeping the town clean and they are working unlike some of the benefit grabbing morons who poke fun at them.
Well done lads!!!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 25 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Apparently Kennet Centre management has had the temporary toilets checked out and they are not the problem. The whiff seems to be coming from the sewers and seems to have started around the time that the work on the sewers started in Northbrook St.

Presumably the temporary toilets will be going soon - so we will find out wether this is true.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 25 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Sep 25 2009, 09:16 AM) *
Yes, you have a point but I think you should cut them some slack. Those boys are probably not politically aware as some of us and perhaps are not consious of he impression they give however they are doing a good job of keeping the town clean and they are working unlike some of the benefit grabbing morons who poke fun at them.
Well done lads!!!

Hats off to anyone who gets off their backside and does some form of work . The system may have failed them in the first place but at least they have self respect and are putting something back into the community .
As a foot note to those who advocate a university education for all , would a graduate be prepared to clean our streets ?

ohmy.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
HJD
post Oct 3 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Whilst in Northbrook St. this morning there was a definate sewer like stink swirling around in the wind, did any one else notice it today ! Not a very good advert for the town is it, does anyone know what it is yet unsure.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 3 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I was in town on Wednesday and there was definitely something whiffable in the Northcroft multi-storey (coming from outside). I was in the same area on Friday (yesterday) but didn't notice anything then.

Might be something to do with wind direction.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:51 PM