Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Voting Without Polling Card
CharlieF
post May 5 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,706

The Lib Dem tellers have been refusing voters entry to the Waterside Centre polling station without their polling card.

They are NOT allowed to do this.

Voters have an absolute right to turn up at the polling station and state their name and address inside the polling station. A complaint from the Apolitical Democrats has been logged with the Returning Officer and the Lib Dem agent.

Also, you do NOT have to even speak to the Lib Dem activist on the door let alone tell them your name or polling number!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 5 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (CharlieF @ May 5 2011, 03:30 PM) *
Voters have an absolute right to turn up at the polling station and state their name and address inside the polling station. A complaint from the Apolitical Democrats has been logged with the Returning Officer and the Lib Dem agent.

Also, you do NOT have to even speak to the Lib Dem activist on the door let alone tell them your name or polling number!

That's absolutely right. If true it's very grubby behaviour, because it's very difficult to be involved in the election process and not be aware of this fundamental principle.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 5 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Perhaps someone should have a word in the shell-like

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/how_do_i_vote..._in_person.aspx

1 On election day, go to your local polling station. Polling station opening hours are 7am - 10pm. If you are disabled and need assistance getting to the polling station, contact your electoral registration office to find out what help is available. You can also ask to have a companion with you when you vote, or staff in the polling station may be able to help you..

2 Tell the staff inside the polling station your name and address so they can check that you are on the electoral register. You can show them your poll card, but you do not need it to vote.

3 The staff at the polling station will give you a ballot paper listing the parties and candidates you can vote for. It will be stamped with an official mark. You may be given more than one ballot paper if there is more than one election on the same day. If you have a visual impairment, you can ask for a special voting device that allows you to vote on your own in secret.

4 Take your ballot paper into a polling booth so that no one can see how you vote. Read the ballot paper carefully, it will tell you how to cast your vote. Do not write anything else on the paper or your vote may not be counted.

5 Finally, when you have marked your vote, fold the ballot paper in half and put it in the ballot box. Do not let anyone see your vote. If you are not clear on what to do, ask the staff at the polling station to help you.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 5 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 5 2011, 03:49 PM) *
That's absolutely right. If true it's very grubby behaviour, because it's very difficult to be involved in the election process and not be aware of this fundamental principle.

The Lib Dems are starting to look quite the joke at the moment. I am pleased I have abandoned their 'grubby' little party.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 5 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 5 2011, 04:08 PM) *
The Lib Dems are starting to look quite the joke at the moment. I am pleased I have abandoned their 'grubby' little party.

I think it a case of the grubby little party has abandoned their electors! wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 5 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 5 2011, 04:08 PM) *

I didn't take you as a Lib Dem voter.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Not good at all. Yet I bet the officers still do nothing about it. People have been prevented from voting, and short of a fresh ballot, there is no way to resolve that.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 5 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't believe the Lib Dems would turn people away - I have had many years in local politics and never seen anything even close to that. And I don't know anyone who would listen to a candidate at a polling station. Also how would they know they weren't turnming away their own supporters?

Charlie did you witness this yourself?

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post May 5 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 5 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I don't believe the Lib Dems would turn people away - I have had many years in local politics and never seen anything even close to that. And I don't know anyone who would listen to a candidate at a polling station. Also how would they know they weren't turnming away their own supporters?

Charlie did you witness this yourself?

We were telephoned by our supporters who were being turned away and David Yates leader of the Apolitical Democrats 'attended the scene'.

The officers were called out of the polling station to corroborrate David and make the activist cease.

David spoke to the Lib Dem agent by telephone.

The teller was replaced by the Lib Dems.

I rang the Returning Officer who is aware of our complaint and the seriousness of the issue.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The Lib Dem teller admitted it!!! So no conspiracy theories please, yet another breach of the rules and likely no action from the officers. Welcome to democracy!!!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 5 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Overall I have to say most tellers conduct themselves properly. Others (like one I met today) are pushy.
They have no formal role whatsoever, and the Polling Station supervisor should be monitoring their activities to ensure they do not make any inappropriate comment to any voter. Their party should brief them, as should the supervisor.
Tellers are present in the vicinity of the Polling Station purely to gather statistics for their party.
I find them a useful receptacle for the Polling Card.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Are candidates allowed to be tellers and push people into voting for them?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 5 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

You should know that Richard surely - there are rules about what you can and cant do on polling station property. Outside the gate you're a free agent. Charlie, who's David?

+Quote Post
CharlieF
post May 5 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 5 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Charlie, who's David?

David Yates.
http://apoliticalparty.blogspot.com/2011/0...northcroft.html

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 5 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 5 2011, 06:15 PM) *
I didn't take you as a Lib Dem voter.

I have flip-flopped according the the circumstances. I voted Lib Dem in the '97 General and Tory at the previous Local, but not any more. I will not vote for either Locally now. They are too similar.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 5 2011, 05:36 PM) *
You should know that Richard surely - there are rules about what you can and cant do on polling station property. Outside the gate you're a free agent. Charlie, who's David?

So a Tory candidate sitting just inside the entrance to a polling station acting as a teller, and telling people he didn't canvass them as he knows he can count on there support is against the rules? In my opinion, I would say it's against the rules, but as the council did not send out anything but an acceptance of my nomination for district, who knows what the rules are? Maybe this is why there has been so many rules breached today? David Betts has breached purdah and we are now hearing about a concern over the number of postal votes handed in at Greenham this evening. What exactly is going on with this election???

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 5 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 5 2011, 10:47 PM) *
So a Tory candidate sitting just inside the entrance to a polling station acting as a teller, and telling people he didn't canvass them as he knows he can count on there support is against the rules? In my opinion, I would say it's against the rules, but as the council did not send out anything but an acceptance of my nomination for district, who knows what the rules are? Maybe this is why there has been so many rules breached today? David Betts has breached purdah and we are now hearing about a concern over the number of postal votes handed in at Greenham this evening. What exactly is going on with this election???

I would expect any candidate or party officer to know the rules to the letter, and to ensure they are adhered to by all (including their own).
But here you are.....

The evidence you put forward about Mr Betts did not stand up.
How many rules have been breached today, where, who by?
Why would postal votes be handed in at Greenham?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 5 2011, 10:05 PM) *
I would expect any candidate or party officer to know the rules to the letter, and to ensure they are adhered to by all (including their own).
But here you are.....

The evidence you put forward about Mr Betts did not stand up.
How many rules have been breached today, where, who by?
Why would postal votes be handed in at Greenham?

I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but with Betts the evidence does stack up.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 5 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 5 2011, 11:18 PM) *
I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but with Betts the evidence does stack up.

The questions are about statements you have made, so you must know the answers. Thus far the evidence put up to support what you say about Mr Betts stacks up in your view, but not mine.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 5 2011, 10:20 PM) *
The questions are about statements you have made, so you must know the answers. Thus far the evidence put up to support what you say about Mr Betts stacks up in your view, but not mine.

Having read the information on tellers, I can confidently say that the Conservative Party have broken the rules in my ward. Still, the Conservative Party shouldn't worry, it's not as if the council will enforce the rules!!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:50 AM