IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> small parking bays, Drivers fined for being outside too small car parking bays in Newbury
Jay Sands
post Feb 17 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 894

In today's Telegraph: A council has painted under-sized car parking bays and is hitting motorists with fines for being outside the space.

Retired architect Stan Green toured the town's car parks in Newbury with a measuring stick to confirm his fears.

The Government has recommended since 1994 that all council parking bays should be a minimum of 2.4 metres by 4.8 metres, but Mr Green has found bays up to a metre short.

West Berkshire Council admitted that last year alone it fined 142 motorists £50 for "not parking wholly within the bay" in Newbury. It said it will not display warning signs, but continue to rely on the "discretion and common sense" of its traffic wardens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/roa...in-Newbury.html

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gel
post Feb 17 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

NWN Piece:
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2015/west-be...w-in-more-funds

Stan's protest covered on another thread here, and WBC's disregard for his findings;
presumably if you were fined for being outside bay, in an undersize one you could confidently appeal:

https://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=28302

Good the Telegraph embarrassing WBC apart from NWN's piece.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Feb 17 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

It's one thing to say that the Councillors have little expertise or detailed knowledge, but to admit the officers don't either is really quite worrying!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 17 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Sadly no sign of Stan and His Coat of Many Colours. rolleyes.gif

I think this is a bit of a non-story to a certain extent. If you (or most drivers) got back to your car and found a ticket on your windscreen because your car was hanging over the line by a few inches or even a foot you'd challenge the ticket surely? Wouldn't you?! (details on how to do so are printed on the ticket).

If, on the other hand, you had a look at the way your car was abandoned and thought you were bang to rights then you might not. But if you thought that the ticket was issued incorrectly, or by an over-eager warden just looking towards his annual bonus <snigger> you would argue your case rather than meekly hand over £25 or whatever it is.

142 tickets may have been issued but I wonder how many were challenged and cancelled.

But if you have a new car and don't want it dinged then maybe these short illegal bays are just what you're looking for. So you can dump your car and claim the bay was too small for a car to park anyway

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Feb 17 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Yeah, that makes sense. duh

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 17 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

As has already been noted, cars have got bigger, so parking bays need to be bigger too. Yes, that will reduce the number of parking spaces, but I don't want my car dinged, and I'd also quite like to be able to get in and out with relative ease when I park. The 2.4m x 4.8m is a minimum recommendation, but WBC should start thinking of itself as a service provider and provide a quality service - gawd knows I pay enough in tax to cover it. That was the most frustrating thing for my in the council's comments - the very best they would aspire to was the very minimim, but that is such an awful attitude towards customer care.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 17 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Give 'em an inch (or in this case 2.4 or 4.8 metres) and the great unwashed will still sit there behind the wheel and complain that they can't get their 4x4 monster trucks into a space designed for a standard family car. It the council whats to blame innit...

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 18 2015, 06:58 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

That misses the point somewhat. WBC are the enforcement agency and rigorously enforce the rules and guidelines they produce apparently only when it suits. So, what they sow, they reap.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 18 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 17 2015, 11:18 PM) *
Give 'em an inch (or in this case 2.4 or 4.8 metres) and the great unwashed will still sit there behind the wheel and complain that they can't get their 4x4 monster trucks into a space designed for a standard family car. It the council whats to blame innit...

And I suspect that our council does indeed feel that contemptuously towards us, their paying customers, and it needs to change.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 18 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 18 2015, 06:58 AM) *
That misses the point somewhat. WBC are the enforcement agency and rigorously enforce the rules and guidelines they produce apparently only when it suits. So, what they sow, they reap.

What with all the other road sign problems they have had, such as the Kings Road West signs not complying, The wharf Bridge signs, you would have thought that the problem Manager who did not know the regulations would have been got rid of..........or is the new Manager a clone of the first? rolleyes.gif
Surely it cannot be only our two Local Authorities that are unable to find suitably able staff. especially seeing as how much they appear to be paid? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 18 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 17 2015, 09:35 PM) *
Sadly no sign of Stan and His Coat of Many Colours. rolleyes.gif

I think this is a bit of a non-story to a certain extent. If you (or most drivers) got back to your car and found a ticket on your windscreen because your car was hanging over the line by a few inches or even a foot you'd challenge the ticket surely? Wouldn't you?! (details on how to do so are printed on the ticket).

If, on the other hand, you had a look at the way your car was abandoned and thought you were bang to rights then you might not. But if you thought that the ticket was issued incorrectly, or by an over-eager warden just looking towards his annual bonus <snigger> you would argue your case rather than meekly hand over £25 or whatever it is.

142 tickets may have been issued but I wonder how many were challenged and cancelled.

But if you have a new car and don't want it dinged then maybe these short illegal bays are just what you're looking for. So you can dump your car and claim the bay was too small for a car to park anyway

Come on Sparty, this is cobblers! WBC didn't know how big the bays are meant to be and even when they were advised, they will not issue any notice to their 'boot boys' to take undersized bays into account: "some will, some won't" is a pathetic response from the council.

+Quote Post
gel
post Feb 18 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Stan's story makes another national!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-29...aces-short.html

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 18 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 17 2015, 11:18 PM) *

Are WBC unable to move with the times then? Perhaps you think they should have left it so people only had somewhere to tie up their horse!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 18 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

fuck me... links to the Daily Wail..... this site really has hit a new low

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 18 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 18 2015, 09:54 PM) *
Are WBC unable to move with the times then? Perhaps you think they should have left it so people only had somewhere to tie up their horse!

Funny you should say that. Guess what is part of the conditions for the Ikea store

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 18 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 18 2015, 11:59 PM) *
fuck me...

Errrrrrr.......No thanks.!! ohmy.gif
First sight of the "F" word on here I believe. ..... this site really has hit a new low! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 19 2015, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I smell a mischievous fellow trying to get a thread locked that he finds embarrassing! wink.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 19 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2015, 11:00 PM) *
Errrrrrr.......No thanks.!! ohmy.gif
First sight of the "F" word on here I believe. ..... this site really has hit a new low! tongue.gif

To be honest Biker I think the Tumble Weed has been blowing over this site for some time, I thought the other one had problems but this one just seems to have all the candidates required for a new series of Grumpy Old Men wink.gif . I check in to see if there is anything of any interest most days but wonder why I bother, I find it utterly depressing most of the time rolleyes.gif .

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 19 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 19 2015, 12:08 PM) *
To be honest Biker I think the Tumble Weed has been blowing over this site for some time, I thought the other one had problems but this one just seems to have all the candidates required for a new series of Grumpy Old Men wink.gif . I check in to see if there is anything of any interest most days but wonder why I bother, I find it utterly depressing most of the time rolleyes.gif .

Do you know mate, I have been thinking the same for a while now.
I mainly check in to pass the time during the long, bike free winter months.
There is little of interest comes up and, apart from the regular council bashing (which seems to get no-one anywhere, remember, as has already been said, they are Teflon coated. We all end up paying the rates anyway as we have no choice, (other than go to prison)), subjects seem to be sparse.
I try and inject a little humour sometimes but it usually falls flat.
I also try to think of new subjects but perhaps Newbury is not exciting enough, or perhaps it is me! rolleyes.gif
Never mind, season starts soon (watch out BM!) if you fancy a ride or meet HJD (if you are still biking) then give me a PM.

Anyway, back to the council beating! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jay Sands
post Feb 19 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 894

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 19 2015, 11:55 AM) *
Do you know mate, I have been thinking the same for a while now.
I mainly check in to pass the time during the long, bike free winter months.
There is little of interest comes up and, apart from the regular council bashing (which seems to get no-one anywhere, remember, as has already been said, they are Teflon coated. We all end up paying the rates anyway as we have no choice, (other than go to prison)), subjects seem to be sparse.
I try and inject a little humour sometimes but it usually falls flat.
I also try to think of new subjects but perhaps Newbury is not exciting enough, or perhaps it is me! rolleyes.gif
Never mind, season starts soon (watch out BM!) if you fancy a ride or meet HJD (if you are still biking) then give me a PM.

Anyway, back to the council beating! smile.gif

I agree the forum is usually full of complaints but I guess if you get nowhere with officialdom and your family are fed up with hearing you banging on about the same old thing this is the last refuge.

Talking about humour did anyone see Fascinating Aida last week at the Corn Exchange? I was surprised at the number of very mature people in the audience who clearly knew all about dogging.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:33 PM