Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disabled parking at Sainsbury's
JeffG
post Jul 30 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

Is anyone else as puzzled as I am at the way they have laid out the disabled parking in the new Sainsbury's car park?

Instead of reserving two or three bays in each row closest to the store (which I thought was the point of having disabled parking spaces anyway). the disabled bays are in two long rows stretching away from the store, so someone having to park in the furthest bays would have a much longer walk than most of us able-bodied folk.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It's not about distance, after all a few feet isn't much when compared with all the wlaking they could do around the store. It's simply wider spaces mainly so that wheelchair users have more room for getting in and out. It's the same in most places, Tesco included.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Jul 30 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 05:16 PM) *
It's not about distance, after all a few feet isn't much when compared with all the wlaking they could do around the store. It's simply wider spaces mainly so that wheelchair users have more room for getting in and out. It's the same in most places, Tesco included.

It would be better to spread the parking disabled bays out a little so that they enjoyed easier and quicker access to the store. Disabled people are not just those in wheelchairs but those who are slower or more laboured in their walking. Don't forget also that blind people and peopple with sonme learning difficulties are also disabled and entitled to a blue badge so that their helpers can be nearer to the store.

I think that this intiative is fantastic and looooong overdue. People who need disabled parking bays and parent and child parking bays will probably all be hooting with joy. Sorry for the "sweeping statement"! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 30 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Is anyone else as puzzled as I am at the way they have laid out the disabled parking in the new Sainsbury's car park?

Instead of reserving two or three bays in each row closest to the store (which I thought was the point of having disabled parking spaces anyway). the disabled bays are in two long rows stretching away from the store, so someone having to park in the furthest bays would have a much longer walk than most of us able-bodied folk.

Maybe it is to teach them a lesson.... some people do have a twisted sense of humour.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jul 30 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

My immediate thought concerned the number of disabled spaces available. I may be totally off key,but I doubt there are that many disabled drivers in Newbury.
But there again I expect they will be used by the four wheel drive brigade.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jul 30 2009, 08:34 PM) *
My immediate thought concerned the number of disabled spaces available. I may be totally off key,but I doubt there are that many disabled drivers in Newbury.
But there again I expect they will be used by the four wheel drive brigade.

What I find annoying is that there are supposed to be a shortage of parking spaces but you can always rest assured that most of the disabled parking spaces are left empty.

Also, and on the matter of disabled parking. I know a few people who drive disabled cars who are not disabled; however, they are allowed to park in disabled areas because all they have to say is that they are running an errand for a disabled person (maybe their wife or friend).

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 30 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 30 2009, 08:45 PM) *
they are allowed to park in disabled areas because all they have to say is that they are running an errand for a disabled person (maybe their wife or friend).

Not if the disabled person isn't with them. And they'll be subject to Sainsbury's new £50 fine initiative.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 30 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Yep. To be entitled to use the Blue badge scheme, the person who the badge was issued to must be in the car at time of use.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 30 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Not if the disabled person isn't with them. And they'll be subject to Sainsbury's new £50 fine initiative.

Sorry, you are wrong. The driver of the disabled can use the disabled badge/ car if they are going on behalf of the disabled; and who is going to say they are not?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 30 2009, 10:05 PM) *
Yep. To be entitled to use the Blue badge scheme, the person who the badge was issued to must be in the car at time of use.

No; a friend of mine's wife is disabled and he often goes and gets her stuff. I've checked it out and you can go if you are doing it on behalf the disabled; i.e. if you are the husband or partner. My friends wife can't drive, her husband does it for her.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 30 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

http://www.westberks.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.a...id=3334&p=0

page 8

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 30 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Thanks for that Darren, I can't believe anyone would have thought otherwise!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 10:43 PM) *
Thanks for that Darren, I can't believe anyone would have thought otherwise!

Well I thought otherwise because I was told otherwise by an official. Also I gave you an example which was true. I am not disagreeing with what you've shown me but something isn't right.

The link is WBC - does other areas have different rules?

The person I know was told that they can use the car if they are on an errand for the disabled person; i.e. because they can't get out of the house etc. As I also said about I was told this is so by an official.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Why would you be allowed? For what possible reason would you need special parking to pick something up for someone else who has a disabliity??? "I need to be near the front of the store as I know someone in a wheelchair officer"! What official told you that?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

OK... I've checked further and it seems I've been given wrong information. It seems you were right and I was badly informed. Apologies for misinformation.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

And in fact, sorry to be picky but you didn't say anything about an official in your previous posts, also the blue badge should have a photo of the user on it to prevent anyone else using it, and if someone else is using it, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking, they are way out of order, and I hope they do get fined. If they have disabled friends you'd think they would respect the spaces a bit more. Although I do agree with you that there are probably too many.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

And I was typing wile you were apparently, so my post was written before I had read yours....

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The Blue Badge parking scheme
Misuse of the Blue Badge
Local councils can take away a badge if the badge holder misuses it - for example, by allowing other people to use it or if a person's disability improves so that they are no longer eligible for the scheme.

If you are a badge holder, it can only be used for your benefit. If a trip is for someone else and you are a passenger and staying in the vehicle, you cannot use the badge simply to let them benefit from free parking.

Blue Badges must be properly issued and displayed in accordance with regulations. Badges should be displayed on the dashboard or facia of the vehicle with the side showing the wheelchair symbol facing forward. Badges should be removed from view when the parking concessions are not being used.

It is an offence if people other than the badge holder take advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme. The maximum fine if someone is convicted is £1,000 plus any additional penalty for the related parking offence

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...port/DG_4001061

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 11:01 PM) *
And in fact, sorry to be picky but you didn't say anything about an official in your previous posts, also the blue badge should have a photo of the user on it to prevent anyone else using it, and if someone else is using it, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking, they are way out of order, and I hope they do get fined. If they have disabled friends you'd think they would respect the spaces a bit more. Although I do agree with you that there are probably too many.

You are right to be picky if I’ve got it wrong.

A couple of years back my sister and I had to check for my dad and we were given that information. The friend I told you about obviously was pulling the wool over my eyes. But you live and learn.

As for not mentioning early; without checking back I probably thought it wasn’t relevant, but later on I did.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 11:02 PM) *
And I was typing wile you were apparently, so my post was written before I had read yours....

<sigh> If ONLY we could go back to the old forum format... where nothing is posted for about three weeks after you press 'send' we wouldn't have this confusion wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM