IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you pay a few pounds a month to keep our community services?, West Berkshire Council unveils budget cuts
Biker1
post Feb 1 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 31 2012, 04:26 PM) *
No. Far too much of the money I have to pay in tax is wasted.

Spot on Bloggo!
Sort out the waste first.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

How much and where is the waste? Is it cost effective to spend money sorting out that waste?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 1 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2012, 11:12 AM) *
How much and where is the waste? Is it cost effective to spend money sorting out that waste?

Well I'm sure you are astute enough to identify where your tax money is being wasted but to give you a couple of examples for arguments sake how about our government sending aid funding to India when that country spends it's own money on nuclear weapons and a space program.
How about this countries benefits system being exploited by illegal immigrants and Health tourists.
It dosen't need to cost money to sort out waste, you just stop funding it.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 1 2012, 11:32 AM) *
Well I'm sure you are astute enough to identify where your tax money is being wasted but to give you a couple of examples for arguments sake how about our government sending aid funding to India when that country spends it's own money on nuclear weapons and a space program.
How about this countries benefits system being exploited by illegal immigrants and Health tourists.

I can see the India one is an example, but what we the plebs don't know is what lies behind the 'deal'. It will cost money to stop benefits, but they might be costs that are not immediately obvious to us. There will be a social cost for a start and that social cost would impinge on our lives.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 1 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 1 2012, 12:32 PM) *

Examples of waste of taxpayers money are almost inexhaustible!
Where to start? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 1 2012, 11:41 AM) *
Examples of waste of taxpayers money are almost inexhaustible!
Where to start? sad.gif

Just list your 3 'favourite' ones.

Of course there is waste, it is trying to identify the ones that can be removed without a cost that is the problem. As an example, there are people that don't need child benefit, but the cost of a fair system which excludes those people outweighs the gains.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 1 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 1 2012, 11:32 AM) *
This thread seems to strayed somewhat off topic and people seem to be listing things they'd not like their tax money spent on nationally and internationally.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 1 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 1 2012, 12:32 PM) *
This thread seems to strayed somewhat off topic and people seem to be listing things they'd not like their tax money spent on nationally and internationally.

Spinoff.

1) The millions of pounds going to other countries when we have this deficiet...instead of paying 1bn a year to other countries for charities, why not cut tax of people in the lowest tax bracket..

2) People who are on 40-50k a year and still get child benefits...you have enough to live without them!!!

3) Cheese.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 1 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 1 2012, 12:50 PM) *
Spinoff.

1) The millions of pounds going to other countries when we have this deficiet...instead of paying 1bn a year to other countries for charities, why not cut tax of people in the lowest tax bracket..

2) People who are on 40-50k a year and still get child benefits...you have enough to live without them!!!

3) Cheese.

Well two out of three aint bad.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 1 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2012, 01:03 PM) *
Just list your 3 'favourite' ones.

Well here's one for a start!

2 others?................... MP's expenses, "free" drugs for druggies.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 1 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 1 2012, 04:17 PM) *
Well here's one for a start!

2 others?................... MP's expenses, "free" drugs for druggies.

I don't regard any of these as cutting waste. Waste to me is cutting a job done by two men that could be done by one. Letting allotments self-manage when we are currently paying £100,000.00 for them.

Cutting benefits, MPs exes, and 'free' drugs might have an initial cost saving, but have no doubt the saving will mean we 'lose' somewhere else.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Feb 2 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Just as a matter of interest, is there a breakdown of the £100K figure available here or somewhere else online?

Also, what are the arguments against handing management over to the users? Presumably there are some.

Seems astonishing to me that allotments should be costing us all £100K a year, particularly those of us who buy their fruit and veg from Fishers as nature intended.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 2 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Feb 2 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Just as a matter of interest, is there a breakdown of the £100K figure available here or somewhere else online?

Also, what are the arguments against handing management over to the users? Presumably there are some.

Seems astonishing to me that allotments should be costing us all £100K a year, particularly those of us who buy their fruit and veg from Fishers as nature intended.

£100,000.00 is an estimate, however; the council's stance is that they offer best value when all things are considered. Simon Kirby contests their view, but there has been a breakdown in trust between Simon and the council. The council will now refuse to engage in any meaningful dialogue with Simon.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 2 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Why don't WBC send out a form with the council tax notices that gives us a chance to donate to a local charity of our choice - a sum collected by WBC with the council tax and passed straight on the the charity each month.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 2 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 1 2012, 04:30 PM) *
I don't regard any of these as cutting waste. Waste to me is cutting a job done by two men that could be done by one. Letting allotments self-manage when we are currently paying £100,000.00 for them.

Cutting benefits, MPs exes, and 'free' drugs might have an initial cost saving, but have no doubt the saving will mean we 'lose' somewhere else.
I agree. What's being suggested isn't waste, it's incorrect use of tax money.
QUOTE (blackdog @ Feb 2 2012, 01:48 PM) *
Why don't WBC send out a form with the council tax notices that gives us a chance to donate to a local charity of our choice - a sum collected by WBC with the council tax and passed straight on the the charity each month.
Why don't people who wish to just donate to the charity do so?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 2 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 2 2012, 07:15 PM) *

I'd say we do. Payroll giving, standing orders, JustGiving web site, donations on charity web sites - all methods that make it easy to support causes important to us. I don't understand the need to involve local government at all.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 4 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 2 2012, 07:15 PM) *

No reason. I just thought it would be a good opportunity for WBC to help and promote local charities at a time when they are struggling owing the WBC's cuts.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 4 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ Feb 4 2012, 10:48 AM) *
No reason. I just thought it would be a good opportunity for WBC to help and promote local charities at a time when they are struggling owing the WBC's cuts.

Aren't we all! No reason why Charities can;'t be efficient and economic, indeed they've every reason to be so. We simply can't expect to continue doing some of the things the Council has had to cut - simply by transferring them to charities.

In all sectors of the economy, there has been waste and inefficiency - we need to put that right - the cold winds of recession do drive efficiencies; simple economic fact.

There are also other things that the Council did and Charities simply haven't the funds to take on - which means as a society we can no longer afford to do them. That is true of our own lives; the holiday cruse, the up range car etc. etc. Lesson to learn for the good times, which will come back - don't revert to the spendthrift days. Wise virgins and all that!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 4 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 4 2012, 01:05 PM) *
Aren't we all! No reason why Charities can;'t be efficient and economic, indeed they've every reason to be so. We simply can't expect to continue doing some of the things the Council has had to cut - simply by transferring them to charities.

In all sectors of the economy, there has been waste and inefficiency - we need to put that right - the cold winds of recession do drive efficiencies; simple economic fact.

There are also other things that the Council did and Charities simply haven't the funds to take on - which means as a society we can no longer afford to do them. That is true of our own lives; the holiday cruse, the up range car etc. etc. Lesson to learn for the good times, which will come back - don't revert to the spendthrift days. Wise virgins and all that!

All I'm suggesting is that WBC do something to help local charites - that costs them next to nothing and costs nothing to anyone else who doesn't want to support any of the charities. What is so bad about that?

Nor am I suggesting that charities should take on former WBC responsibilities - just that WBC could do some small thing to help the charites to continue doing what the charities have been doing in the past.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 4 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It would cost though and it is not what they are there for. There's nothing "bad" about your suggestion, I just don't think it is appropriate.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:35 PM