IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boy Scouts: potential murderers; yes or no?
GMR
post Sep 7 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Boy scouts to be banned from carrying pocket knives.

Boy Scouts have been carrying pocket knives for years – in fact ever since Scouts came into existence – but no more. No more now that they are considered a threat to the public.

Do you think those child wielding homicidal maniacs should be prevented from carrying knives in case they go on the rampage and kill everybody in sight when they next do their Bob-a-Job mass murder spree?

Should we be grateful to our ever so loving and caring government that they have our welfare at the top of their agenda? Or are they overzealous fanatics and their only wish is to control and create a nanny state for us all?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geraldwa...ying-penknives/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 8 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

A quasi-paramilitary outfit. Give them all .44 Magnums and let them clean up the streets.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Sep 8 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I was a boy scout many years ago, and carrying a pocket knife (swiss army knife) taught me responsibility. I wasn't allowed one until i had proved i could be trusted, and then was rewarded with one.

How can u build forts in the woods without a pocket knife wink.gif

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 8 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Crazy. But it's a pity his article degenerated into the "if you ban guns, only criminals have them" argument.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Sep 8 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Baden-Powell would turn in his grave. What next, Apprentice Chefs. Squaddies under 18.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 8 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Sep 8 2009, 12:11 PM) *
Baden-Powell would turn in his grave. What next, Apprentice Chefs. Squaddies under 18.

I think the point (excuse the pun) being that they would have them in their possession on the street, not their occupation or age. Even though the ruling does and in all probability is a bit silly, if you ban carrying knives in public, then they will fall into that category and unfortunately will have to be included.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 8 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

What about Cars? I want to see them banned. They kill people. Oh and Cows - they killed that walker the other day. What about Planes - They can crash and trains come to that. Now where did I put my cotton wool?? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 8 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 8 2009, 02:57 PM) *
What about Cars? I want to see them banned. They kill people. Oh and Cows - they killed that walker the other day. What about Planes - They can crash and trains come to that. Now where did I put my cotton wool?? wink.gif

Here here TDH! A child could blind himsellf with a pencil; should he not be taught to write? It is not the knife/gun/whatever that harms or kills, it's the person holding it. I wouldn't want my son to carry a knife, but if he needed one for Scout camp, fishing, gardening etc I would allow him to carry one WHEN he showed respect for the tool & undestood it's implications as a weapon.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Rachel @ Sep 8 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Here here TDH! A child could blind himsellf with a pencil; should he not be taught to write? It is not the knife/gun/whatever that harms or kills, it's the person holding it. I wouldn't want my son to carry a knife, but if he needed one for Scout camp, fishing, gardening etc I would allow him to carry one WHEN he showed respect for the tool & undestood it's implications as a weapon.

I was stopped for not wearing a seat belt. Again. Was told I could have a fine, or go to 'seat belt awarness course'. I opted for the latter.

We were shown lots of graphic slides of what happens to you if you do not wear your seatbelt ( boy racers loved this bit so much ).
Apparently, so we were told, the reason the Govt wants you to wear a seat belt is because your premature death costs society £1 million.

This was announced just after the 15 min fag break.

And, Hugh, the reason I don't wear my seat belt is because i'm a fantasically good driver.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 9 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 9 2009, 01:52 AM) *
And, Hugh, the reason I don't wear my seat belt is because i'm a fantasically good driver.

But what about all the rest of us who don't come into that category? If one of us mere mortals makes yet another silly mistake and crashes into you, without you wearing a seatbelt, you are likely to sustain more severe injuries than if you are wearing one, whether you are a fantastically good driver or not. Mind you, your obit in the NWN might make good reading..... laugh.gif

PS Fair play to you for mentioning being nicked though. Had I ever been stopped for a motoring offence (and I haven't - yet) I wouldn't particularly want to tell others about it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 9 2009, 07:34 AM) *
But what about all the rest of us who don't come into that category? If one of us mere mortals makes yet another silly mistake and crashes into you, without you wearing a seatbelt, you are likely to sustain more severe injuries than if you are wearing one, whether you are a fantastically good driver or not. Mind you, your obit in the NWN might make good reading..... laugh.gif

PS Fair play to you for mentioning being nicked though. Had I ever been stopped for a motoring offence (and I haven't - yet) I wouldn't particularly want to tell others about it.

It is a habit I got into when I was a van driver. I now wear one when I remember to put it on, which is about 50% of the time.

as for dying at the wheel - it is as the taxi driver in Luxor, who also wasn't wearing a seat belt, told me - "it is qismat"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:49 AM