Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help needed, Council let's us down again
Simon
post Sep 22 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

A friend of mine is an english citizen, who has worked full time for over 10 years and has never claimed anything from the government before.

She has now hit a rough patch in her life and requires help but is not getting anything of what she needs.

She is 20 weeks pregnant and has just split from her boyfriend, she has no where to live and does not accrue enough points with council to get housing.

She has been offered a room at a b&b in slough (even though she works in Newbury) or a room at a half way house sharing bathroom facilities with the other guests. This place does not look or sound safe for her.

Does anyone know of way she could be helped or anyone else she can speak to?

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 22 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Simon @ Sep 22 2011, 07:29 PM) *
A friend of mine is an english citizen, who has worked full time for over 10 years and has never claimed anything fromnthe government before.

She has now hit a rough patch in her life and requires help but is not getting anything of what she needs.

She is 20 weeks pregnant and has just split from her boyfriend, she has no where to live and does not accrue enough points with council to get housing.

She has been offered a room at a b&b in slough (even though she works in Newbury) or a room at a half way house sharing bathroom facilities with the other guests. This place does notnlook or sound safe for her.

If the father cannot be traced or is unable/unwilling to give financial help, you could always let her stay in your house.

I do not see how the Council (council tax payer) has let you or her down - as your post title suggests.

I hope things work out for her.

Rgds

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 22 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

A friend of mine is an english citizen, who has worked full time for over 10 years and has never claimed anything fromnthe government before.

She has been offered a room at a b&b in slough (even though she works in Newbury) or a room at a half way house sharing bathroom facilities with the other guests. This place does notnlook or sound safe for her.

The CAB might be able to offer some practical advice and would certainly know of contacts who could offer real help. I know someone in a not too dissimilar predicament they at least steered in a good direction. Hope she can get some relief from her troubles soon.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon
post Sep 22 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Sep 22 2011, 09:03 PM) *
I do not see how the Council (council tax payer) has let you or her down - as your post title suggests.

I believe the council has let her down by not being able to find her decent accommodation especially considering she has paid both tax and council tax for many many years.

I would have hoped that as a tax payer, I would be looked after if I hit a rough patch. So many other people seem to be able to get housing provided for them

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon
post Sep 22 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 22 2011, 09:06 PM) *
The CAB might be able to offer some practical advice and would certainly know of contacts who could offer real help. I know someone in a not too dissimilar predicament they at least steered in a good direction. Hope she can get some relief from her troubles soon.

She has been to the CAB but not much luck. The council seem to be only offering her the halfway house or the b&b in slough

Hopefully something will happen for her

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 22 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I'm sorry , but you can't just magic housing out of thin air. There are lots of people with familys in the same boat.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 22 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Sep 22 2011, 09:41 PM) *
I believe the council has let her down by not being able to find her decent accommodation especially considering she has paid both tax and council tax for many many years.

I would have hoped that as a tax payer, I would be looked after if I hit a rough patch. So many other people seem to be able to get housing provided for them

If she has been paying council tax on a property, then I wonder why she is suddenly homeless.

Again, can't you put her up for a bit till she gets sorted?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Simon
post Sep 22 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Sep 22 2011, 09:55 PM) *
If she has been paying council tax on a property, then I wonder why she is suddenly homeless.

Again, can't you put her up for a bit till she gets sorted?

Thanks

She is homeless as it was her boyfriends house, and unfortunately I am not in a situation to have her stay at mine

The more I am finding out about how many people need housing the scarier it gets.

I have been very naive and assumed that if you needed housing you got it, as according to the media, every jobless, druggie, immigrant has a council house

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 22 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Sadly, it is going to get worse before better.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 22 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Simon @ Sep 22 2011, 09:01 PM) *
She is homeless as it was her boyfriends house, and unfortunately I am not in a situation to have her stay at mine

The more I am finding out about how many people need housing the scarier it gets.

I have been very naive and assumed that if you needed housing you got it, as according to the media, every jobless, druggie, immigrant has a council house

Try the housing charity Shelter. They gave fantastic advice to a friend a while back, & told her straight facts when the Benefits Agency had misinformed her....possibly because they didn't know the facts??? I wish her luck & that she can be re-housed locally; she's clearly trying to continue to help herself by carrying on working, she deserves abit of support.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 22 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Sep 22 2011, 10:01 PM) *

Ok. Boyfriend has a house (and therefore an income?) so perhaps her first call for funding (assuming he is the father) is on him and not the tax payer?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Sep 22 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Pass on my details: 07411 488324 or email me their details to info@richardgarvie.com. I am happy to take this up on her behalf to see what can be done.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 22 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I am surprised that she can't get a house, when we were in a "rough patch" we were told by the council to get pregnant and then we would most likely get a house and quickly. Would the half way house or B&B not just be temporary while they find something for her? If I could just put my judgemental hat on for a minute (rarely take it off), this just acts as another example of people getting pregnant in unstable relationships, getting into trouble and expecting to be bailed out. It seems to happen far too often these days.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 22 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Its possible, its also possible she's a victim. perhaps she didn't mean to get pregnant and that what ended the relationship. Only they will know for sure. and full marks to Richard for trying to help. perhaps a call from some one to "my mate Benny" might help as well !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 22 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

'Help needed'...maybe ........but remind me again... WHY is this the Council's fault? blink.gif

QUOTE (Simon)
....She has been offered ....< snip > ...a room at a half way house sharing bathroom facilities with the other guests. This place does notnlook or sound safe for her
She's not quite as desperate as you make out then is she..... rolleyes.gif
Far too sniffy to consider a place where she might have to share facilities until she gets herself back on her feet.... Perhaps the people who live there temporarily are in a similar position to her?

And why would she (and you) think that just because she may have been paying a few quid to the Council to get her bins emptied, roads swept, (etc) over the years that she'd be able to walk straight into a place of her own because she's had an argument with the bf...

As a tax payer I'm fed up with the number on spongers who want everything delivered to them on a plate when things go tits-up.

But Hark! Is that the sweet sound of righteous indignation I hear? Approach, Sir Richard Garvalot and rescue this poor maiden from her perilous fate....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 22 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

There is no minimum amount of points - you can apply for any housing with any number of points, you might not get it, but you can apply. Also housing decisions aren't based on points alone, circumstances are considered for all applicants, so says a WBC representative.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 22 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I pray that I don't fall on hard times, or have a savage twist of fate and end up relying somewhat on the 'charitable nature' of the 'good folk' of Newbury.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Sep 22 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 22 2011, 11:33 PM) *
I pray that I don't fall on hard times, or have a savage twist of fate and end up relying somewhat on the 'charitable nature' of the 'good folk' of Newbury.

Why's that? Don't you like to share bathroom facilities either?!!

sheesh.... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 22 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

If Simon really cared for his friend he would let her stay at his house and stop making excuses and passing blame.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 22 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 22 2011, 11:33 PM) *
QUOTE (spartacus @ Sep 22 2011, 11:48 PM) *
Why's that? Don't you like to share bathroom facilities either?!! sheesh.... rolleyes.gif
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Sep 22 2011, 11:58 PM) *
If Simon really cared for his friend he would let her stay at his house and stop making excuses and passing blame.

Like I said...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:35 AM