Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crime in West Berkshire
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 25 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Criminals are getting away with more crime in West Berkshire than ever before, according to new police figures.

Thames Valley Police have managed to solve just 17% of local crime since April, down 6% on the year before.

In just seven months, police in West Berkshire have seen crime rise by 11%. Reading saw crime fall 9% over the same period, while the Thames Valley saw crime fall by 4%.

The new data shows that rape, underage sex, GBH, and shoplifting all soared fastest.

Overall, crime levels in West Berkshire are now above the Thames Valley average, while detection rates are below the force average.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/performa...t-berkshire.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 25 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 25 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Criminals are getting away with more crime in West Berkshire than ever before, according to new police figures.

Thames Valley Police have managed to solve just 17% of local crime since April, down 6% on the year before.

In just seven months, police in West Berkshire have seen crime rise by 11%. Reading saw crime fall 9% over the same period, while the Thames Valley saw crime fall by 4%.

The new data shows that rape, underage sex, GBH, and shoplifting all soared fastest.

Overall, crime levels in West Berkshire are now above the Thames Valley average, while detection rates are below the force average.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/performa...t-berkshire.pdf

Does not fill one with confidence about our safety does it particularly when you consider all of the crimes committed that are not reported to the Police.
What the figures don't tell you is whether or not they are considered acceptable by the authorities or is someone charged with improving them?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 25 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Or there could be another explanation why the crime figures are down; they are are not being reported.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 25 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

But the figures are up GMR, not down.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 25 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 25 2010, 09:20 PM) *
But the figures are up GMR, not down.

Sorry, I misread it. However, I did read somewhere that certain figures were down. Maybe in another area of crime.

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Jan 25 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 25 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Does not fill one with confidence about our safety does it particularly when you consider all of the crimes committed that are not reported to the Police.
What the figures don't tell you is whether or not they are considered acceptable by the authorities or is someone charged with improving them?

I believe that is the job of the TVPA, the CC and others on a regional level will be looking at how to best use resources to bring crime down. The police certainly will not view these results (or any results for that matter) as acceptable, but no doubt they do have to accept that unless they had an unlimited budget and every 3rd person as a officer that some crimes (violent etc) have to take priority.

Of course some reports have argued that crime appears to go up because incidents which do not appear to actually be crime are recorded as crime with NFA taken tags whilst in the past they would simply be removed from records. Obviously it is important to have records to audit but if what they say is true surely they should record non-crimes as well... not being crimes. Unless this is another government IT mess up where they can't do that rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 26 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jeven @ Jan 25 2010, 11:07 PM) *
I believe that is the job of the TVPA, the CC and others on a regional level will be looking at how to best use resources to bring crime down. The police certainly will not view these results (or any results for that matter) as acceptable, but no doubt they do have to accept that unless they had an unlimited budget and every 3rd person as a officer that some crimes (violent etc) have to take priority.

I know how to bring crime down!! When the criminals are caught give them a sentence that is severe enough not to want to risk it again.

Of course some reports have argued that crime appears to go up because incidents which do not appear to actually be crime are recorded as crime with NFA taken tags whilst in the past they would simply be removed from records. Obviously it is important to have records to audit but if what they say is true surely they should record non-crimes as well... not being crimes. Unless this is another government IT mess up where they can't do that rolleyes.gif

If it is not a crime then it's not reported as a crime. However there are reports that state that there are huge amounts of crimes that are either not reported or classified by the Police as non-crimes to massage the figures in their favour.
For there to be a reported increase in crime such as this with statisics to back it up you can be sure that there is a very big problem.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 26 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 26 2010, 08:39 AM) *
I know how to bring crime down!! When the criminals are caught give them a sentence that is severe enough not to want to risk it again.

China quite eagerly punish their citizens, but it seems they have people that still break the law. I agree though, I think soft sentencing contributes to the volume of crime being committed.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 26 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

It appears to be an interesting hypothesis that a criminal will continue to commit crime even though he is aware of the consequences of his , or her , actions .
Countries that have punitive penal systems including capitol punishment seem to have a higher crime rate than those with a more liberal approach , after all if the death penalty worked there would be no murders ( QED ).
Now one could argue that those countries have no need of a strict regime and those with a high crime rate would have an even higher one if they didn't come down hard on the offender , but at the end of the day we would all like to live in some Edith Blyton type utopia where everyone resides in harmonic bliss .

So there must be some genetic reason to account for the actions of those thus inclined . The correlation between criminal and victim is rather like that between carnivore and herbivore , they co exist because they have evolved to do so , not because the meat eater woke up one morning and fancied a steak for breakfast , and the grass eater was the obvious choice .

Those who think that increasing the police numbers is the silver bullet should look at those countries of the world that have an over sized police force per capita and draw the natural conclusion .

No one today would advocate genetic intervention by the state in it's subjects procreation , but it may yet come to it .
sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 26 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

In other words, we should stop being so girlie, and accept there are some gits about, but generally it is OK.

+Quote Post
regor
post Jan 26 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 26 2010, 05:48 PM) *
No one today would advocate genetic intervention by the state in it's subjects procreation , but it may yet come to it .
sad.gif

Very interesting post milord.

I think this process was called eugenics and there were some very interesting experiments carried out in this field in Germany during the early 1940s.

I have always believed that a combination of "Probability of Capture" coupled with "Fear of the Punishment" would reduce crime to acceptable levels, however if I am wrong and you are right then it implies that there should be intervention before birth. Logically if a fetus is carrying the genes of criminality it ought to be compulsory abortion by law.

and from there we proceed into the realms of thought control and other horrors.

I don't think I want to go down that road thank you very much. I would rather tolerate a certain level of crime as the price of individual liberty.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 27 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Personally I think the problem is with the old people. They have no tollerance. They should all be shot.

"all soared fastest" crime against Grammar. Life sentence.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 27 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 27 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Personally I think the problem is with the old people. They have no tollerance. They should all be shot.

"all soared fastest" crime against Grammar. Life sentence.

I think users with the name DannyBoy should be shot first. They obviously can't take part in a reasoned discussion and have to revert to stupid WUM comment. Buffoon. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 27 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 27 2010, 03:18 PM) *

They can spell though. laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 27 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 27 2010, 03:28 PM) *
I think users with the name DannyBoy should be shot first. They obviously can't take part in a reasoned discussion and have to revert to stupid WUM comment. Buffoon. tongue.gif

see wat I mean?

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Jan 27 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

If it is not a crime then it's not reported as a crime.

Well apparently according to a news program I was watching a while back (one of those BBC docu things iirc) many civil disputes are recorded in the same system as crimes, and the system is unable to seperate the crimes from civil matters. Of course that may be fixed.

Some people also argued on the program it was a plot by the government to both say that detection rates are up and to push for cuts in the police (via merging). Obviously I do not know if this is still true, or even if the BBC program would apply to our area or if it was just one particular police force problem.

+Quote Post
theone09
post Jan 27 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

TallDarkAndHandsome has apparently copied his original/ opening post from newbury.net & have not given credit.

http://newbury.net/forum/m-1264450692/

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 27 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (theone09 @ Jan 27 2010, 08:50 PM) *
TallDarkAndHandsome has apparently copied his original/ opening post from newbury.net & have not given credit.
The figures are from the Thames Valley Police site who weren't credited in the other forum post.

There was a link to the TVP document though.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 27 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 27 2010, 10:14 PM) *
The figures are from the Thames Valley Police site who weren't credited in the other forum post. There was a link to the TVP document though.

Which is tantamount to the same thing.

It seems that user23 and the administrator of newbury.net forum are old advisories. User23 wastes little time in attempting to belittle admin's POV - who on the other hand, is not slow to post critical opinion of West Berkshire Council. You are all free to draw your own conclusions.

+Quote Post
theone09
post Jan 27 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 27 2010, 10:14 PM) *
The figures are from the Thames Valley Police site who weren't credited in the other forum post.

There was a link to the TVP document though.

Admin put a link to the data on the TVP site, instead of just copying it with no link so they did credit TVP.

newbury.net admin obviously wrote all the information above the the TVP link, using SOME data from TVP not copying everything.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:29 AM