5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel crisis?
Guest_jaycakes_*
post Mar 29 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:23 AM) *
Surely not many these days have jerry cans standing around in their garage??

Unsure on that one.

Although I haven't currently I do need to get some form of backup, probably a plastic can with 5 litres or so. Besides knowing my luck I would keep it in my boot and it would slosh around everywhere!

Interesting fuel kept for more than about 4-5 weeks can go sedintary and not only cause possible blockages in your fuel system, but will lose it's performance as well. "stale"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blake
post Mar 29 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

Mopeds can still get amazing gas mileages.

My Honda PF-50 can do about 170mpg. I can keep a jerrycan's worth going for weeks.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 29 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

The conspiracy theorist in me reckons that if they make us all top up now, then the effect of any strike will be partially mitigated (as trucks are reloading petrol stations as we speak).

But the real message should be - this is a finite resource and won't last forever, are you prepared for when it run's out (or becomes prohibitively expensive)?

+Quote Post
Blake
post Mar 29 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

I agree Adrian.

About time we all went electric or to fuel cell power.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 29 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 29 2012, 02:02 PM) *
The conspiracy theorist in me reckons that if they make us all top up now, then the effect of any strike will be partially mitigated (as trucks are reloading petrol stations as we speak).

But the real message should be - this is a finite resource and won't last forever, are you prepared for when it run's out (or becomes prohibitively expensive)?

And now you're hogging all the chip fat for your disco, what do we do?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Mar 29 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Civilisation is breaking down in Dorset, I see: http://goo.gl/cxFqA

Idiotic handling of this by Maude and his coalition mates is to blame. Maybe there is something in the suggestion that they've engineered the crisis to take our minds off their abysmal handling of the economy http://goo.gl/um8Ku but I don't think they're that clever.

Who on earth thought it was a good idea to put George 'Don't Call me Gideon' Osborne in charge of anything, let alone the economy? We are, ladies and gentlemen, ******.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Mar 29 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

I think they've played an absolute blinder..

At a time when fuel prices are at an all time high, they've got you to buy more of it. (and even store it at home)

This will help the Oil companies, and the exchequer, (since tax is levied on the higher price).

Remember, there is no strike yet, and any strike action has to be preceded by a given period of 7 days notice. The earliest one could start would be Easter Weekend and that's only if the ACAS talks don't start, which so far, all parties have said they'd attend.

Any fuel shortage now is solely caused by the lame-brained not thinking it through. (and don't try the "I was only following orders" defence). Funny how easily some people panic isn't it?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 29 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 29 2012, 10:23 AM) *
Surely not many these days have jerry cans standing around in their garage??

Are we still allowed to call them jerry cans?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Blake
post Mar 29 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Even if the zealots do go on strike, the armed forces will come to the rescue plus other relief drivers.

I'd sack the strikers if I was PM. We have plenty of unemployed who would like a job.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 29 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 29 2012, 03:12 PM) *
Are we still allowed to call them jerry cans?

No. It's racist.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Mar 29 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

What these lemmings as niceley put by Jeffg that if there is a strike then the unions will need to give 7 days notice once a date has been set (which has not been announced as of yet) so does these mean we will have to put up with these stupid lemmings panic buying for the next few weeks I think they need to get a life

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 29 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 29 2012, 11:18 AM) *
It is not a bad end of year bunser for treasury though is it! tongue.gif

Just stop and think for a minute... last quarter and there was no growth in the economy this quarter there appears to be a negative growth in the economy... this means if there are two quarters of no growth in the economy we are officialy in recesssion... hey presto Dave announces a petrol tanker strike even though a date has not even been discussed yet and the unions need to give seven days notice anyway.
Now how does Dave get people to spend wildly and heavily before the end of the month and get the figures to say we have had just even a small growth in the economy rather than no growth? Hey presto no official recession!

All Dave has to do is announce a possible petrol tanker strike - even though the normal government procedure would be to try and play down the effects of a stike and persuade people not to panic buy - good old Dave he knows how to save the economy eh? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
desres123
post Mar 29 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 29 2012, 05:02 PM) *
Just stop and think for a minute... last quarter and there was no growth in the economy this quarter there appears to be a negative growth in the economy... this means if there are two quarters of no growth in the economy we are officialy in recesssion... hey presto Dave announces a petrol tanker strike even though a date has not even been discussed yet and the unions need to give seven days notice anyway.
Now how does Dave get people to spend wildly and heavily before the end of the month and get the figures to say we have had just even a small growth in the economy rather than no growth? Hey presto no official recession!

All Dave has to do is announce a possible petrol tanker strike - even though the normal government procedure would be to try and play down the effects of a stike and persuade people not to panic buy - good old Dave he knows how to save the economy eh? rolleyes.gif

now that makes perfect sense

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Mar 29 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 29 2012, 04:02 PM) *

His political stance is all smoke and mirrors. Remember his trade was as a PR man.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Mar 29 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Penelope @ Mar 29 2012, 01:31 PM) *

Here is a hint: Walk, cycle, or go by bus/train etc

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Mar 29 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (Blake @ Mar 29 2012, 03:52 PM) *
I'd sack the strikers if I was PM. We have plenty of unemployed who would like a job.

Are you seriously suggesting that you'd be happy with huge vehicles carrying thousands of gallons of highly inflammable fuel being driven past school playgrounds and through our town centres by the sort of person who posts to this forum?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 29 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I went to Sainsbury's for petrol and they had run out of diesel and petrol was just about to run out as well. The same at other forecourts. In fact the woman behind the counter said within half an hour they were going to close. They were expecting new deliveries in the afternoon.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Mar 29 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Penelope @ Mar 29 2012, 01:31 PM) *

Eat more chips laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 29 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 29 2012, 05:39 PM) *
Here is a hint: Walk, cycle, or go by bus/train etc

I would rather join the greens and hog all the resources for myself whilst lecturing others with weasel words.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 29 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 29 2012, 05:02 PM) *

That's an interesting thought. But if this fuel fiasco is the standard of this Government's spin, then they need some better doctors. I wonder if Mr Mandelson is available! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:01 PM