IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to use trains, some helpful hints and the occasional quarrel.
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

My first one is for Biker1: in practical terms, what does the train time tell you?

For example: the train time table states 07:24. What does that mean?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 11 2016, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2016, 09:13 AM) *
My first one is for Biker1: in practical terms, what does the train time tell you?

For example: the train time table states 07:24. What does that mean?

It means the train is scheduled to depart at 07:24 or 7.24AM.
This means depart (start to move) the platform.
I know what you are going to say and yes, the doors may be closed and locked before this in order for the train to depart at this time.
Doors may start to close up to 40secs. before the actual departure of the train.
This is publicised on railway station posters and publications.
I know you will argue the point. Not my rules! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ciderdrinker
post Oct 11 2016, 12:30 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,764

I prefer the under tube method of boarding a train. You wait until the doors are closing and run at them full speed...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I'm not arguing; I just want to clarify whether it its the arrival time or the departure time. So the moral of the story is to be aboard one minute shy of the departure time - at the very latest.

Can you tell me what the definition of On time is?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 11 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Looking at the GWR app, which I find the the most useful of all the apps (with the exception of the TFL app for busses when up smoke), it seems the departure time and the arrival time are the same, which is bound to cause a late arrival or late departing issue.

Is there an official passenger transition target or time allowance for passenger boarding or alighting?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 11 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 11 2016, 01:59 PM) *
Looking at the GWR app, which I find the the most useful of all the apps (with the exception of the TFL app for busses when up smoke), it seems the departure time and the arrival time are the same, which is bound to cause a late arrival or late departing issue.

Is there an official passenger transition target or time allowance for passenger boarding or alighting?

If you look at the staff only board near the exit at Reading you can see expected arrival and departure times. 3 mins is the norm between arrival amd departure. The 1730 departure to Newbury from Paddington is due to get in at 1727 into Reading.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 11 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

You're right!
Many of the times on the timetable show the same time for arrival and departure.
Generally the turbo trains can get the station stop done fairly quickly with them being driver only operated (DOO) and with power doors.
The HST's take a minimum of 2 minutes at stations with slam doors and dispatch.

There is an official definition of "late" when deciding delay compensation between companies. (Usually a TOC and Network Rail).
As far as the customer information goes a train is late if it is beyond it's timetabled departure time.
If you look at the customer information screens at say Newbury trains are shown as late if only delayed by 1 minute.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 11 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ciderdrinker @ Oct 11 2016, 01:30 PM) *
I prefer the under tube method of boarding a train. You wait until the doors are closing and run at them full speed...

And possibly die!! rolleyes.gif
Or if you're lucky just strangled! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 11 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Have you seen those new screens on both platforms at Newbury?
You can see exactly where your late train is now!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 11 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 11 2016, 08:09 AM) *
Have you seen those new screens on both platforms at Newbury?
You can see exactly where your late train is now!! biggrin.gif

I missed that, but will look-out for them. The GWR app is OK, if not a little awkward for monitoring the train you are actually on.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 12 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 11 2016, 06:36 PM) *
I missed that, but will look-out for them. The GWR app is OK, if not a little awkward for monitoring the train you are actually on.

There is one on the wall of each platform building.
They are marked "Staff Information" but are there for all to see!!
Gives location of trains in words and in a schematic map form.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 3 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Thought I would comment here as it is a railway thread!
This story is interesting and indeed "history making".
Class 800
Amusing though that it is referred to as a "high speed electric train" as it will travel no faster than the 40 year old HST's that it is to replace and that it is in fact being powered by diesel as the wiring of the Great Western route is way behind.
Also that the units to be built for the West of England route will be diesel as the wires are going no further west than Newbury.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 3 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 3 2016, 09:44 AM) *
Also that the units to be built for the West of England route will be diesel as the wires are going no further west than Newbury.

I would have thought they would be dual-powered. using electricity as far as Newbury (or Reading if not stopping at Newbury). It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 4 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 3 2016, 11:15 AM) *
I would have thought they would be dual-powered. using electricity as far as Newbury (or Reading if not stopping at Newbury). It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

You are probably right (that is if they are designed to lower pantograph at speed).
However it is 53 miles from Paddington to Newbury compared with the 306 miles from Paddington to Penzance.
Unfortunately therefore most still on diesel.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 4 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 4 2016, 09:20 AM) *
You are probably right (that is if they are designed to lower pantograph at speed)

I think you didn't quite get my drift there. That's why I said "as far as Newbury (or Reading if not stopping at Newbury)", i.e. changeover at the last stop before the wires run out. They presumably also need time to start the engines.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 4 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I'd guess we are on the cusp of a technology change. If we can get a breakthrough with the big battery technology, then its charge up under the wires and battery between gaps to the West. Saving on miles of overhead.

Anyway, full marks to GW for getting some new train sets - even though itvwoukd have been nice if they'd been built here. Perhaps they'll set the pace from now on.

It's also beginning to look like the Government can see the serious error made having a single entity running the track. Hopefully that expensive mistake will also be corrected soon.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 4 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 4 2016, 06:17 PM) *
Anyway, full marks to GW for getting some new train sets -

Yes, you could say that even though the decision to allocate and purchase new rolling stock is controlled by the government and the big investment banks. GWR will not own the trains.
Interesting that we are promised that the new trains, which admittedly may be longer and have more seats, will solve the overcrowding problem on GWR for a while.
However, with the ever increasing population of this country, I wonder how long it will be before they too fill up.
Then what do we do?
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 4 2016, 06:17 PM) *
charge up under the wires and battery between gaps to the West.

256 miles? That's a big gap!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 4 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 4 2016, 06:30 PM) *
Yes, you could say that even though the decision to allocate and purchase new rolling stock is controlled by the government and the big investment banks. GWR will not own the trains.
Interesting that we are promised that the new trains, which admittedly may be longer and have more seats, will solve the overcrowding problem on GWR for a while.
However, with the ever increasing population of this country, I wonder how long it will be before they too fill up.
Then what do we do?

We can do what our local politicians suggest when we complain about congested roads; send someone round to draw up a personal travel plan and promote cycling. As you can see, that works.....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 10 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

The third world crap that is our railway strikes again. App states P7, nope it is P8 and the berk too busy gassing at the entrance didn't have a scooby. Of course the next train is delayed by half hour!!!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 10 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2017, 07:45 PM) *
The third world crap that is our railway strikes again. App states P7, nope it is P8 and the berk too busy gassing at the entrance didn't have a scooby. Of course the next train is delayed by half hour!!!

What's it got to do with you? They are trying to run a TRAIN service, you are just a passenger.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:56 PM