IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you use a wheelie bin cleaning service, Do not read whilst eating!
misc
post Jul 13 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 729

Apologies in advance for the nature of this post. sad.gif

I'm lucky enough to have two small children and an indoor cat. As a result, my household generates a significant amount of "output" which needs to be disposed of in the wheelie bin. Thanks to our wonderful council's fortnightly collection of bins, and the recent hot weather, I'm left with a bin that stinks and is crawling with maggots.

Can anyone reccomend a local, reliable, and affordable bin cleaning service, who can clean my bin out thoroughly after each collection, and preferably put a liner in it?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Jul 13 2015, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,554

An old long handled brush, a small bucket of water and a large bottle of thin bleach (about 25p from Tesco). Job done

How about double or triple bagging those nappies before you put them in the bin....

+Quote Post
misc
post Jul 13 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CrackerJack @ Jul 13 2015, 10:25 AM) *
An old long handled brush, a small bucket of water and a large bottle of thin bleach (about 25p from Tesco). Job done

How about double or triple bagging those nappies before you put them in the bin....

That's great, CrackerJack. Could you come today? I'll give you a couple of quid for your trouble. Do you bring your own bleach? tongue.gif

Nappies and cat litter are all double bagged and sealed before they go out.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 13 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

A few months ago my bin got infested with maggots. I only noticed because I put something into the bin last minute before wheeling it to the road to meet the bin men. I just said to the guy "urgh it's crawling with maggots". When I returned home that evening, the bin had been emptied and cleaned out and was clear of any crawly things.

Either they notice themselves and arranged for the following bin cleaner to act, or my mentioning it to the bin men got them to arrange a clean up. Either way, I was impressed with their assistance.

Normally my stuff is bagged up before going into the bin but a spell of hot weather, contents and me missing a previous collection led to the infestation.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 13 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Or buy a Kärcher pressure washer wink.gif

+Quote Post
misc
post Jul 13 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I've just signed up with Thames Valley Bin Hygiene for £39 for 12 monthly cleans.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 13 2015, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I've got somebody, it is called me. I also had maggots crawling in the bin and with some bleach and a drain they soon went. Of course I say me, but nothing really much needs doing to the bin.

+Quote Post
misc
post Jul 13 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 13 2015, 04:54 PM) *
I've got somebody, it is called me. I also had maggots crawling in the bin and with some bleach and a drain they soon went. Of course I say me, but nothing really much needs doing to the bin.

Personally, I don't have the time or inclination to scrub out a bin crawling with maggots, when someone else is willing to do the job for a little over £3 a go.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 14 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Only once a month though.
Don't they breed faster than that?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jul 14 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (misc @ Jul 13 2015, 04:58 PM) *
Personally, I don't have the time or inclination to scrub out a bin crawling with maggots, when someone else is willing to do the job for a little over £3 a go.

Err, what's wrong with a few maggots?

+Quote Post
misc
post Jul 14 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jul 14 2015, 03:39 PM) *

Seriously?

They become flies. Where possible, I do not want flies in my house.

"The diseases that flies can transmit include enteric infections (such as dysen-
tery, diarrhoea, typhoid, cholera and certain helminth infections), eye infections
(such as trachoma and epidemic conjunctivitis) (Fig. 6.6), poliomyelitis and
certain skin infections (such as yaws, cutaneous diphtheria, some mycoses and
leprosy)."

Source: WHO - Houseflies (PDF)

I have a four month old daughter and a three year old son, and don't want unnecessary germs floating around in my house.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 14 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jul 14 2015, 03:39 PM) *

They're making a mess of town planning.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jul 14 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (misc @ Jul 14 2015, 04:08 PM) *
Seriously?

They become flies. Where possible, I do not want flies in my house.

Source: WHO - Houseflies (PDF)

I have a four month old daughter and a three year old son, and don't want unnecessary germs floating around in my house.

But from egg to fly can take up to 42 days, I empty my bins more frequently than that.

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Jul 14 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (misc @ Jul 13 2015, 04:27 PM) *
I've just signed up with Thames Valley Bin Hygiene for £39 for 12 monthly cleans.

But during the hotter summer months (he says, looking out the window at the pouring summer rain..... rolleyes.gif ) there will be a FOUR WEEK period of you having a bin infested with maggots.

You already complain about the bin not being emptied for a fortnight but the bin won't be properly sluiced out of crawly things for four weeks, so still a bit of a problem with your kitty litter and nappy 'fly bait'? Don't they do an option of cleaning the bin/replacing the bin liner thing after every empty, - ie fortnightly?

fly eggs to maggots to flies

When it's warm outside, maggots can emerge from eggs laid only eight hours earlier. Maggots eat from the site where they emerged. After three to five days of feeding, maggots squirm up to 50 feet away from the hatching site to a dry area and begin to pupate (but usually staying within the bin). In warm weather, adult flies emerge from the pupal in six days or less

Yeah one clean a month isn't going to resolve it really.

Suggest you invest in some Marigolds, a bucket and some bleach or bump the clean up to fortnightly during summer... . wink.gif (I would offer but I already do my own tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Jul 14 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jul 14 2015, 05:25 PM) *
But from egg to fly can take up to 42 days, I empty my bins more frequently than that.

From egg to fly may take 42 days in early spring/late autumn. In hot sultry weather the process from egg to germ-carrying flying killer thing ready to vomit on your food can take as little as 7 days (8 hours from laid egg to larvae, 3 days of the maggot in a feeding frenzy, 3 days of the pupae metamorphing before emerging and annoying humans)...

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 14 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (CrackerJack @ Jul 14 2015, 07:05 PM) *
From egg to fly may take 42 days in early spring/late autumn. In hot sultry weather the process from egg to germ-carrying flying killer thing ready to vomit on your food can take as little as 7 days (8 hours from laid egg to larvae, 3 days of the maggot in a feeding frenzy, 3 days of the pupae metamorphing before emerging and annoying humans)...

You must all be imagining things? When this problem was brought up when it was decided, not by ratepayers I must add, to have fortnightly bin collections we were informed that this and other foreseeable problems would not happen by our beloved Mrs Cole? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Jul 14 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jul 14 2015, 08:29 PM) *
You must all be imagining things? When this problem was brought up when it was decided, not by ratepayers I must add, to have fortnightly bin collections we were informed that this and other foreseeable problems would not happen by our beloved Mrs Cole? rolleyes.gif

I think most people would be prepared to clean up after themselves and would accept that even if you just bagged up one week's worth of cat poo and put it in your bin and chucked in a few bags of used nappies on top you are going to have to be careful with 'the natural process of decomposition' (which often starts with flies)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 14 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (CrackerJack @ Jul 14 2015, 08:40 PM) *
I think most people would be prepared to clean up after themselves and would accept that even if you just bagged up one week's worth of cat poo and put it in your bin and chucked in a few bags of used nappies on top you are going to have to be careful with 'the natural process of decomposition' (which often starts with flies)

There is now no choice. Before fortnightly collections we never suffered maggots, but we do now. Does anyone still use those pathetic food baskets?

+Quote Post
misc
post Jul 15 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 14 2015, 09:04 PM) *
There is now no choice. Before fortnightly collections we never suffered maggots, but we do now.

I wholeheartedly agree.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jul 15 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Of course you could always take up Fishing & use the Maggots for bait. I remember as a lad buying them from an Angling shop in Newbury & keeping a pot of them in the fridge ! Mother wasn't impressed !!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:35 PM