IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Clock tower lighting to be toned down, Is this good use of public money?
Andy Capp
post Jun 10 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

With talk of the BID, it couldn't happen too soon if you ask me.

In this time of 'austerity', is it right to spend £12,000.00 of public money on some lights for the Clock Tower, and then spend debating time to decide whether to show only yellow, or the colourful rainbow effect!

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=16966
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 10 2011, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 10 2011, 01:24 AM) *

In this timer of 'austerity', is it right to spend £12,000.00 of public money on some lights for the Clock Tower, and then then spend debating time to decide whether to show only yellow, or the colourful rainbow effect!

I find the current "rainbow effect" slightly garrish, so a softer yellow scheme would work well in my opinion. The bright purple and blue lights don't enhance it or show it's architectural merit rather than shout "Look at me!"

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jun 10 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

I prefer the multi coloured lights myself, the yellow ones are boring - why don't they just do it completely different at Christmas and special occasions by using 8 different colours instead of 4 to make it different.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 10 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

It's money that was spent for the sake of it. How many more white elephants will be enforced on us for the sake of it?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 10 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

It's money that was spent for the sake of it. How many more white elephants will be enforced on us for the sake of it?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jun 10 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Like the Millenium Dome. One of yours I believe ?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Jun 10 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jun 10 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Like the Millenium Dome. One of yours I believe ?

Wrong Wrong Wrong.

The Millenium Dome was a Tory idea.

John Major gave it the green light, Heseltine sat on the committee to organise what went into it, Hague sat on the committee that estimated visitor numbers and pricing. (He got that right didn't he)? Visitor numbers were projected to be 12 million a year and that was where the problem lay, costs were balanced against that income - which never happened.

When the incoming Labour governemt took over they had the choice of continuing with it, or knocking it on the head. (costs were already overunning)

Had they stopped it they would have been accused of wasting all the money that had been spent up until then, and would likely to have been sued for breaching the contatcs already signed.

They inherited a huge pile of dingo's kidneys and were always going to be damned if they did or damned if they didn't continue with it. Of course, when it did start to go tits-up the Tories put on their Teflon jackets, and their friends in the press made sure it was thought of as being a Labour idea.

However, simple fact remains - The Millenium Dome was a Tory idea, and was insigated and started by the Tories. Let's not start changing history just because some people believe what they read in the tabloids.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 10 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 10 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Surely it's a multi coloured elephant?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 10 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 10 2011, 01:24 AM) *

In this timer of 'austerity', is it right to spend £12,000.00 of public money on some lights for the Clock Tower, and then then spend debating time to decide whether to show only yellow, or the colourful rainbow effect!

It's completely obscene, but it's all in a day's work for NTC. Time to pull the plug on them - and I mean NTC.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jun 10 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I think you will find that the Dome project was conceived, originally on a somewhat smaller scale, under John Major's Conservative government, as a Festival of Britain or World's Fair-type showcase to celebrate the third millennium. The incoming Labour government elected in 1997 under Tony Blair greatly expanded the size, scope and funding of the project. It also significantly increased expectations of what would be delivered. Just before its opening Blair claimed the Dome would be "a triumph of confidence over cynicism, boldness over blandness, excellence over mediocrity". In the words of BBC correspondent Robert Orchard, "the Dome was to be highlighted as a glittering New Labour achievement in the next election manifesto".

In other words the Conservatives came up with a modest idea that was then hijacked by the Blair machine and blown out of all preportion. it reminds me of the building of the colloseum (similar idea, give the populace bread snd games and they will love you) It takes the conservatives to get things wrong but it takes Labour to really **** it up !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 10 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 10 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Surely it's a multi coloured elephant?

Quite!!!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 11 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jun 10 2011, 11:59 PM) *
I think you will find that the Dome project was conceived, originally on a somewhat smaller scale, under John Major's Conservative government, as a Festival of Britain or World's Fair-type showcase to celebrate the third millennium. The incoming Labour government elected in 1997 under Tony Blair greatly expanded the size, scope and funding of the project. It also significantly increased expectations of what would be delivered. Just before its opening Blair claimed the Dome would be "a triumph of confidence over cynicism, boldness over blandness, excellence over mediocrity". In the words of BBC correspondent Robert Orchard, "the Dome was to be highlighted as a glittering New Labour achievement in the next election manifesto".

In other words the Conservatives came up with a modest idea that was then hijacked by the Blair machine and blown out of all preportion. it reminds me of the building of the colloseum (similar idea, give the populace bread snd games and they will love you) It takes the conservatives to get things wrong but it takes Labour to really **** it up !

A bit of spin there: Wikipedia says 'somewhat smaller scale' and you describe that as 'modest', and 'greatly expanding the size, scope and funding of the project' become 'blown out of all proportion'! wink.gif

But you are right; it was a Labour (or should I say Blair's) vanity project. It also makes me think of the Lib Dem/Tory £2,000,000.00 paving fetish in Newbury, with The Broadway being the epitome of Newbury councils wasting public money.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 11 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I like the clock tower with the lights on it. It doesn't make me go to that end of town or spend anymore money but I think it looks nice.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 11 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

We could sit and type about blair and major all we like, the fact is that neither now have a say in what happens now. In times of austerity, we should be excercising restraint with funds yet the only severe cuts being made locally are hurting the vulnerable (elderley, disabled and young people / families) the most.

Let's stop the vanity projects and focus on protecting key services.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 11 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

And we've increased the international aid budget by 34% I believe.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 11 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

We will have to buy the new soft lights and pay to have the fancy coloured ones put into storage. We will also have to pay to have the coloured ones removed, then come Christmas pay again to have them changed over, come January pay to have them changed yet again. Meanwhile we are being told we dont have funds for elderly/disabled.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 11 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 11 2011, 06:35 PM) *
We will have to buy the new soft lights and pay to have the fancy coloured ones put into storage. We will also have to pay to have the coloured ones removed, then come Christmas pay again to have them changed over, come January pay to have them changed yet again. Meanwhile we are being told we dont have funds for elderly/disabled.

No, the lights are all already installed, it just takes a switch to go from a one colour programme to multicolours.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Jun 11 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 11 2011, 06:07 PM) *
And we've increased the international aid budget by 34% I believe.

Well, our total aid budget is over 7 billion. That has to be divided between many countries.

Total U.K. bankers bonuses last year were over 7 billion. That goes to just a few individuals.

At least 50 million of our OA budget is being spent here in the U.K.

Always helps to keep things in perspective.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 11 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Jun 11 2011, 08:01 PM) *
Well, our total aid budget is over 7 billion. That has to be divided between many countries.

Total U.K. bankers bonuses last year were over 7 billion. That goes to just a few individuals.

At least 50 million of our OA budget is being spent here in the U.K.

Always helps to keep things in perspective.

So if we had stopped the 7 billion foreign aid and paid it as bonuses to the bankers as well as their existing 7 billion bonuses would this mean we could of racked up double our deficit? wink.gif

The banking and finance industry are the only institutions I know that get paid even when they completely mess up. Except of course our very own WBC. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:31 AM