Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speed cameras in Woolhampton
blackdog
post Jun 24 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Compared to my satnav my speedo reads about 5% low - factory standard car/tires.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 24 2014, 05:15 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 24 2014, 01:01 AM) *
Compared to my satnav my speedo reads about 5% low - factory standard car/tires.

Compared to my satnav my speedo reads about 7% high - factory standard car/and english tyres.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 24 2014, 06:49 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 23 2014, 11:34 PM) *
You obviously didn't read what I said. I had bigger than standard wheels and I think that you are incorrect about speedos under reading. Modern cars with new and correctly inflated tyres are usually spot on. Next time you pass a set of police speed markers, check your speedo. I did and mine, with the Isuzu, was under reading by 4mph. If you have anything other than standard wheels and tyres check it out. Bigger wheels and low profiles might cancel each other out however.

I always find using the satnav is most reliable way of checking speed, and will normally be more accurate than the old speedo. wink.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 24 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 23 2014, 11:34 PM) *
You obviously didn't read what I said. I had bigger than standard wheels and I think that you are incorrect about speedos under reading. Modern cars with new and correctly inflated tyres are usually spot on. Next time you pass a set of police speed markers, check your speedo. I did and mine, with the Isuzu, was under reading by 4mph. If you have anything other than standard wheels and tyres check it out. Bigger wheels and low profiles might cancel each other out however.

I try my best not to!

So you changed your wheel and tyre sizes and essed around with your speedo.

My front wheels are causing my speedo to under read by about 4-6%, as I need smaller front wheels for arch and suspension clearance. So it means if I'm doing an indicated 70mph I'm doing more like 66 - bearing in mind that an indicated 70 in my car is (or was, rather) about 66-67 indicated then I'm doing more like 62-63.

All speedometers should either be deadly accurate or under read, as in an indithis is what I have found in every car or bike I've driven, or owned. If your speedo was saying you are doing 40mph then your actual speed should be like 36-38mph.

**** I do realise in my tired and not bothered state I have confused under and over reading.. simple minds laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 24 2014, 09:19 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 24 2014, 09:43 AM) *
My front wheels are causing my speedo to under read by about 4-6%, as I need smaller front wheels for arch and suspension clearance. So it means if I'm doing an indicated 70mph I'm doing more like 66 - bearing in mind that an indicated 70 in my car is (or was, rather) about 66-67 indicated then I'm doing more like 62-63.

I assume you have a pocket calculator alongside you at all times then.

QUOTE (gel @ Jun 24 2014, 07:49 AM) *
I always find using the satnav is most reliable way of checking speed, and will normally be more accurate than the old speedo. wink.gif

I don't have a sat nav so that doesn't work for me but the speedo is real time and the sat nav is elapsed time so by the time the little electronic device has worked out how fast you are going, it's too late and you've blipped a speed camera. Is that right ?.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jun 24 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 24 2014, 10:19 PM) *

Not heard of Mental Arithmetic then?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 24 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Not a very logical young fellow are you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 24 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 24 2014, 06:15 AM) *
Compared to my satnav my speedo reads about 7% high - factory standard car/and english tyres.

Sorry - I meant 5% high. blink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 24 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

I don't have a sat nav so that doesn't work for me but the speedo is real time and the sat nav is elapsed time so by the time the little electronic device has worked out how fast you are going, it's too late and you've blipped a speed camera. Is that right ?.

I don't use my satnav as a speedo - just as a way of calibrating my speedo.

And no, I don't need a calculator to work out what 5% of something is.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 25 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 25 2014, 12:53 AM) *
I don't use my satnav as a speedo - just as a way of calibrating my speedo. And no, I don't need a calculator to work out what 5% of something is.

I'm sure you don't but MMs description of his speedo variance was not quite so precise.

If my speedo was reading low and I was doing 60mph in the middle lane and MM came up behind me weaving across from the inside lane and flashing his lights, what would be our true speed and how much energy would we expend..... Ah, forget it.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 25 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 25 2014, 09:06 PM) *
I'm sure you don't but MMs description of his speedo variance was not quite so precise.

If my speedo was reading low and I was doing 60mph in the middle lane and MM came up behind me weaving across from the inside lane and flashing his lights, what would be our true speed and how much energy would we expend..... Ah, forget it.

What lane do you hog sit in on a four lane motorway Exhausted? (Just wondered! smile.gif )

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 25 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Lesson:

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 26 2014, 08:53 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 25 2014, 10:37 PM) *
Lesson:

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 26 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 25 2014, 10:35 PM) *
What lane do you hog sit in on a four lane motorway Exhausted? (Just wondered! smile.gif )

The empty one.

To be honest you people spend far too much time paying attention to the ramblings of a person who believes he has the God given right to be critical of other drivers because he has a couple of years experience behind the wheel and is obsessed with modified cars.

I actually drove 1,000 miles a week for several years, most of it on motorways with a considerable amount in and around London without incident. I drive safely and without stress and am a considerate road user. I've been going along with the joke and can continue to do so. it gives me something to do when I get home from work.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 26 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I've been going along with the joke and can continue to do so. it gives me something to do when I get home from work.

A very civilised approach, dare I say it English even.
ce

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 26 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 26 2014, 07:10 PM) *
The empty one.

To be honest you people spend far too much time paying attention to the ramblings of a person who believes he has the God given right to be critical of other drivers because he has a couple of years experience behind the wheel and is obsessed with modified cars.

I actually drove 1,000 miles a week for several years, most of it on motorways with a considerable amount in and around London without incident. I drive safely and without stress and am a considerate road user. I've been going along with the joke and can continue to do so. it gives me something to do when I get home from work.

Just like ust like Captain Mainwaring eh?

'I was wondering when somone would think of that'!! laugh.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 26 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 26 2014, 08:10 PM) *
Just like ust like Captain Mainwaring eh? 'I was wondering when somone would think of that'!! laugh.gif

I don't quite see the relationship but if it pleases you, that's fine by me.

I'm not sure if that's meant as an insult or not but get your spelling right if it is. If not, spell how you like.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 27 2014, 07:10 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

The empty one.

What if there is more than one empty one?
Elaborate please.
For example, if the one to your left is empty?
and am a considerate road user.

Not if you don't "keep to the left except when overtaking" you're not! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 27 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

The empty one.

Clearly not if you hog the middle lane!!

When I get home from work I prefer procrasturbating, failing that I work my second job, or see my better half or eat, or sometimes all four if I'm feeling particularly adventurous. Going on this forum is very low down my list.

Bit touchy are you this evening? laugh.gif

Just because you've been doing something for longer doesn't mean you're any good at it. Lewis Hamilton?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 27 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 27 2014, 08:10 AM) *
What if there is more than one empty one? Elaborate please. For example, if the one to your left is empty? Not if you don't "keep to the left except when overtaking" you're not! tongue.gif

If all the lanes are empty who gives a stuff. I would actually use the left lane unless it has loads of lorries in it so that I need to keep weaving about at 70 mph or whatever my speedo thinks I'm doing to get by.

I'm sure that you and MM, the two most perfect drivers on the road, have loads more advice to offer but please don't be offended if I consider you both to be back seat drivers and that what you want to impart to me as free advice, is just background noise.

Keep going though as I'm off back to work now.

Sent from my Raspberry in the middle lane of the M40.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:56 PM