Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hospital Car parking; good idea.
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Today I went to Newbury Hospital for blood tests. I parked in their car park and Paid £1 for 4 hours. My daughter told me that when she last used the car park she gave her ticket to somebody else (as she had a few hours left over). So when I had finished I gave my ticket to somebody else. I also noticed that a lot of people coming out of the hospital asking others if they wanted their ticket.

Some people can afford it (car parking at the hospital) others can't so I had to write and mention the generosity of other drivers giving up their ticket to new arrivals.

I thought that was worth a mention.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I didn't know tickets were transferable.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I didn't know tickets were transferable.

Tickets don't have any markings on them other than saying when they start and finish. Giving your ticket to somebody else can't be proven it wasn't theirs in the first place. How could anybody stop it even if they aren't 'transferable'?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It's against the rules for use of that car park...... and will be in the 'Terms and Conditions' See the small print on the ticket machine So, I'd say 'Not So Good Idea'..

You might think you're being altruistic and saving the poor and needy from parting with 100 pennies, but you're diddling the hospital administration team. Car Parks don't run themselves y'know. Those paper rolls need replacing, the machines need servicing etc etc....

It's hardly Crime of the Century but you'd be in the wrong if you did it and got caught (see the Honest John link)
Honest John

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 06:42 PM) *
It's against the rules for use of that car park...... and will be in the 'Terms and Conditions' See the small print on the ticket machine So, I'd say 'Not So Good Idea'..

You might think you're being altruistic and saving the poor and needy from parting with 100 pennies, but you're diddling the hospital administration team. Car Parks don't run themselves y'know. Those paper rolls need replacing, the machines need servicing etc etc....

It's hardly Crime of the Century but you'd be in the wrong if you did it and got caught (see the Honest John link)
Honest John

Tough! To be honest everybody does it. You talking about 'diddling' the hospital; but what about those people who go to the hospital and then have to fork out money they can hardly afford? I am sorry, but I’ve got no sympathy for the hospital. I paid for my ticket but was quite happy to give it to a worthy soul.

When I was in the hospital I mentioned it to a nurse and she said they all do it and thanked those that did think of others.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

How do you know you are giving it to a 'worthy soul'?

The hospital is a publicly owned service, the only people you are diddling are the people who fund it; us.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 07:18 PM) *
How do you know you are giving it to someone 'worthy soul'?

The hospital is a publicly owned service, the only people you are diddling are the people who fund it; us.

First of all you can tell; observe. It was Sherlock Holmes who said "We see, but don't observe."

As for "diddling"; yeah, you've got a point. As we all know our taxes are used for good and honourable things; in other words our taxes have never been misappropriated. Because of what you said I feel so bad – helping an honest soul – when our taxes could have been used for more worthwhile and justified causes; like nuclear weapons, paying high wages to MPs, locking innocent people up, and much more that our worth taxes could be used for. Your words are going to play on my mind. How could I have been so foolish? I want to thank you for showing me the errors of my ways and putting me back on track to being a sensible and caring tax payer. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I don't think I deserved your sarcastic reply.

We are still the tax payer, and hospitals rely on revenue from carparks to help with funding. Denying that funding only puts more pressure elsewhere - especially if, as you say, 'everyone does it'. Ironically, this could possibly put the cost of parking up even more to achieve the expected revenue.

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Nov 7 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 06:42 PM) *

But if the ticket is for a fixed period of time, what difference does it make if two or more vehicles use the purchased time?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 07:42 PM) *
I don't think I deserved your sarcastic reply.

We are still the tax payer, and hospitals rely on revenue from carparks to help with funding. Denying that funding only puts more pressure elsewhere - especially if, as you say, 'everyone does it'. Ironically, this could possibly put the cost of parking up even more to achieve the expected revenue.

I shall take it that I’ve been severely chastised.

Just a matter of interest I paid for 4 hours and I should be entitled to do what I want with my ticket. When I did ask in the hospital I was thanked for my thoughtfulness to others. At least my efforts are appreciated, if not by you. And don’t forget I am also a tax payer as well. I could have parked down the road and nobody would have got my money.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 7 2011, 09:43 PM) *
Just a matter of interest I paid for 4 hours and I should be entitled to do what I want with my ticket.

Buying something doesn't necessarily mean ownership. £1.00 entitles you to park in the carpark for 4 hours. I'd have no problem spending £1.00 to park there for 4 hours.

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 7 2011, 09:43 PM) *
When I did ask in the hospital I was thanked for my thoughtfulness to others. At least my efforts are appreciated, if not by you.

I'm indifferent, I am just pointing out that sometimes charitable acts can have a draw back.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Nov 7 2011, 09:11 PM) *
But if the ticket is for a fixed period of time, what difference does it make if two or more vehicles use the purchased time?

About another £1.00 or more by my reckoning. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 09:51 PM) *
Buying something doesn't necessarily mean ownership. £1.00 entitles you to park in the carpark for 4 hours. I'd have no problem spending £1.00 to park there for 4 hours.

But nor do I. But some people do (or can't afford it); and I was just trying to being charitable.

I'm indifferent, I am just pointing out that sometimes charitable acts can have a draw back.

I think the gains out-way the draw backs. Should we really worry about diddling an organisation that wastes billions of pounds every year? At least my charitable act has eased some poor soul's worries; even if it is just in such a small way.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 7 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 7 2011, 07:58 PM) *
So when I had finished I gave my ticket to somebody else. I also noticed that a lot of people coming out of the hospital asking others if they wanted their ticket.

I thought that was worth a mention.

Good for you!!
Hospital parking fees are a rip off!!
You can always sign this!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 7 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Good for you!!
Hospital parking fees are a rip off!!
You can always sign this!

Thank you.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

No need to get your knickers in a twist GMR just because we think your charitable idea is flawed.... "Everybody does it" doesn't make it lawful.... (I think most of the Tottenham Rioters used the "Everyone was doing it" excuse and it didn't get them too far when they were dragged in front of The Beak.... rolleyes.gif )

If you want to give your ticket out then carry on. I think you'll find however that it's against the T's & C's that you agree to when purchasing a ticket from the machine. If there's a jobsworth on duty at the hospital then they may pull you up on it. The other 99.9% of the time the staff there will think you're a 'Jolly Good Bloke' for doing it....

TBH on the few occasions that I've had to go there I didn't bother buying a ticket at all!! At least you paid your £1...! WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED A FREE TICKET!!? wink.gif

BTW, I've hired out a few top title DVDs from Blockbusters. They don't have to be back for a couple of days so if you want to save yourself a few quid let me know... The shop might struggle to survive if everyone used this technique but what the ****... the DVDs are mine till the time's up and I can do what I want with them....(Note - Hypothetical scenario)

I also have a fancy dress suit and it doesn't have to be back for another week.... If anyone wants to use a rather sweat stained 'Pimp Suit' (size large) and save hiring one from Pageant then get in touch.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 7 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Good for you!! Hospital parking fees are a rip off!!

£1.00 for 4 hours? huh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 11:10 PM) *
No need to get your knickers in a twist GMR just because we think your charitable idea is flawed.... "Everybody does it" doesn't make it lawful.... (I think most of the Tottenham Rioters used the "Everyone was doing it" excuse and it didn't get them too far when they were dragged in front of The Beak.... )

I wasn't getting my knickers in a twist; just debating it.

What the Tottenham rioters did wasn't in the same category as me buying a ticket and then giving it to a poor soul.

If you want to give your ticket out then carry on. I think you'll find however that it's against the T's & C's that you agree to when purchasing a ticket from the machine. If there's a jobsworth on duty at the hospital then they may pull you up on it. The other 99.9% of the time the staff there will think you're a good bloke for doing it....

It seems giving ones ticket to others is a common practice. I am just one of many hundreds of charitable souls out there.

TBH on the few occasions that I've had to go there I didn't bother buying a ticket at all!! At least you paid your £1...!

Most people park On Turnpike Estate.

BTW, I've hired out a few top title DVDs from Blockbusters. They don't have to be back for a couple of days so if you want to save yourself a few quid let me know... The shop might struggle to survive if everyone used this technique but what the ****... the DVDs are mine till the time's up and I can do what I want with them....(Note - Hypothetical scenario)

Thanks, but I am playing my part in making the film companies rich by actually buying the DVDs, rather than renting them.

I also have a fancy dress suit and it doesn't have to be back for another week.... If anyone wants to use a rather sweat stained 'Pimp Suit' (size large) and save hiring one from Pageant then get in touch....

I've already got a fancy dress suite; it is called my shorts, cap and waist coat. It gets a good laugh and bypasses the hire shop. But thank you for your generous offer. I'll put you up for a recommendation to the Queen for an OBE.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 11:10 PM) *
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED A FREE TICKET!!? wink.gif

Hiding. wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 7 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 11:14 PM) *
£1.00 for 4 hours? huh.gif

£1 is life or death to some.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:33 PM