Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diane James leads UKIP
Simon Kirby
post Sep 19 2016, 07:18 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

I get a bit tired of the "commie" jibes directed at me for being a Labour member and Corbyn supporter, not least because I have nothing but contempt for repressive totalitarian regiemes be they tin-pot parish councils or world super-powers, so I note with some ire that Diane James, the new leader of UKIP, is a self-declared admirer of the shirtless cavalier: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/18...-one-of-her-he/

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 19 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

You don't have to be a Corbyn or even Labour supporter (I am neither) to be unsurprised by this, after Farage openly supported the arch-demon Donald Trump. I guess that party gets the leader it deserves. It's probably hyperbole to say she appears to be to the right of Genghis Khan.

Anyway, UKIP is finished now, and will, with luck, rapidly fade from the public consciousness.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 19 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yes, it's frankly amazing, coming from those that those who want us to keep 'nukes' because of their fear that Putin might invade!

I'm far from convinced that UKIP is finished; I'd argue that it's more likely to become the right wing version of the LibDims, particularly if the mainstream parties fail to learn the lessons.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 19 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 19 2016, 08:18 AM) *

I get a bit tired of the "commie" jibes directed at me for being a Labour member and Corbyn supporter, not least because I have nothing but contempt for repressive totalitarian regiemes be they tin-pot parish councils or world super-powers, so I note with some ire that Diane James, the new leader of UKIP, is a self-declared admirer of the shirtless cavalier: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/18...-one-of-her-he/

But it's quite alright to label others as "swivel eyed loons" though? Reap what you sow old boy, reap what you sow.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 19 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 19 2016, 10:40 AM) *
But it's quite alright to label others as "swivel eyed loons" though? Reap what you sow old boy, reap what you sow.

Come on - he was just using the polite version!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 19 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 19 2016, 09:30 AM) *
You don't have to be a Corbyn or even Labour supporter (I am neither) to be unsurprised by this, after Farage openly supported the arch-demon Donald Trump. I guess that party gets the leader it deserves. It's probably hyperbole to say she appears to be to the right of Genghis Khan. Anyway, UKIP is finished now, and will, with luck, rapidly fade from the public consciousness.

Actually he never said he supported Trump, he actually said that he was against Clinton (which most Americans are). It will go down to the best of two evils. I also noticed that the gap between Clinton and Trump has narrowed.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 19 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 19 2016, 10:34 AM) *
Yes, it's frankly amazing, coming from those that those who want us to keep 'nukes' because of their fear that Putin might invade!

Keeping nukes is only part of the Russian equation.

I'm far from convinced that UKIP is finished; I'd argue that it's more likely to become the right wing version of the LibDims, particularly if the mainstream parties fail to learn the lessons.

Whether UK survives or not will depend on whether James starts making friends with both fractions of the party. She is a good speaker, but she does need the total support from all the party. She also needs to remove the nutters in her party.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 19 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 19 2016, 08:18 AM) *

That was a stupid comment from James. If she wants to win then she must watch what she says. I thought that Suzanne Evans would have made a better leader.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 19 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 19 2016, 04:57 PM) *
Keeping nukes is only part of the Russian equation.

Whether UK survives or not will depend on whether James starts making friends with both fractions of the party. She is a good speaker, but she does need the total support from all the party. She also needs to remove the nutters in her party.

From past threads, the percieved threat from Russia seems to constitute the biggest worry!

I certainly agree about the new UKIP leader, who had the self same issue as the Labour leader which is as you say; needing total support and removing the nutters. In his case of course, many of those nutters are on the benches behind him. tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 19 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 19 2016, 05:12 PM) *
From past threads, the percieved threat from Russia seems to constitute the biggest worry!

Yes, but they are not the brightest sparks on here.

I certainly agree about the new UKIP leader, who had the self same issue as the Labour leader which is as you say; needing total support and removing the nutters. In his case of course, many of those nutters are on the benches behind him. tongue.gif

I wouldn't say that; I think the nutter is Corbyn, or at least the biggest nutter. As for the rest; they are no different to any other MP nutter.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 19 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 19 2016, 04:54 PM) *
Actually he never said he supported Trump,

He shared a platform with Trump at a rally, and spoke to Trump's rabble. If you don't agree that is endorsing Trump, then fine.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 20 2016, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 19 2016, 10:14 PM) *
He shared a platform with Trump at a rally, and spoke to Trump's rabble. If you don't agree that is endorsing Trump, then fine.

I am just saying that he didn't verbally endorse him. What we do know is that he and most Americans don't like Clinton; in other words you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I don't know why people are so worried about leaders of parties they don't really support. Good opposition is supposed to make good government. However, many seem to think that 'good opposition' means separate clone. Classically, New Labour and the LibDems being Tory Lite or Diet Tory! I suppose UKZIP will try and become Tory Extra. However, Classic Tory doesn't need opposition, it s inbuilt.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 20 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Ha! Luv it.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 21 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 19 2016, 05:16 PM) *
Yes, but they are not the brightest sparks on here.

GMR please don't go down the newres route and insult those who don't have the same views / opinions as yourself.
You're better than that!
Thanks. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 21 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 21 2016, 09:14 AM) *
GMR please don't go down the newres route and insult those who don't have the same views / opinions as yourself.
You're better than that!
Thanks. biggrin.gif

I must read a different GMR than you! 😋

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 21 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2016, 05:41 PM) *
I don't know why people are so worried about leaders of parties they don't really support. Good opposition is supposed to make good government. However, many seem to think that 'good opposition' means separate clone. Classically, New Labour and the LibDems being Tory Lite or Diet Tory! I suppose UKZIP will try and become Tory Extra. However, Classic Tory doesn't need opposition, it s inbuilt.

Unless the opposition can pose an electoral threat, then they are broadly ineffectual.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 21 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 21 2016, 09:21 AM) *
Unless the opposit can pose an electoral threat, then they are broadly ineffectual.

Yes, so in our situation, the Givernment's critics from its own ranks are the best opposition. I suspect that's really where UKIP will see its salvation, going home to the Tories. Similarly, but after a good few pennies have dropped, LibDem back to Labour.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 22 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 21 2016, 09:14 AM) *
GMR please don't go down the newres route and insult those who don't have the same views / opinions as yourself. You're better than that! Thanks. biggrin.gif

I had to go back and read what I said, it was so long ago I had forgotten.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 22 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 21 2016, 09:19 AM) *
I must read a different GMR than you! 😋

Of course you read a different person... people always do when they don't agree. People see what they want to see so that they can fool themselves.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:16 PM