Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much food do you waste
Jayjay
post Jun 18 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

With the news that we all have to use slop pails, I calculated how much I would have put in this week. 1 chicken carcass, 1" square if cheese that had started to go mouldy and 1/2 plate of pasta (didn't like he sauce). Bread went to the ducks/birds, egg shells prevented the slugs, tea bags and veg peelings went in the compost bin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 18 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I try not to waste food.... and very rarely do.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 18 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 18 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Bread went to the ducks/birds, egg shells prevented the slugs, tea bags and veg peelings went in the compost bin.

While you mean well, one should not feed birds bread; especially in the spring/summer.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 18 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/faqs.aspx

The RSPB don't seem to mind.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 18 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I waste very little, years of working in catering have taught me how to make the most out of everything. I am not a fussy eater fortunatly which really helps also.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 18 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 18 2011, 11:42 AM) *

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds...whentofeed.aspx

"Avoid using peanuts, fat and bread at this time (spring and summer), since these can be harmful if adult birds feed them to their nestlings."

Generally speaking, processed food like bread is not advisable for bird feed; it is too rich in preservatives, salt, etc... although when food is scarce it might be the only option for some. Feeding when there is a rich source of food (like in the summer), is not advisable because it can make birds vulnerable to predators like birds of prey (whom you should never feed).

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 18 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Ah, I read the bit about breadcrumbs and jumped to my own conclusion. Good advice Andy.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 18 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 18 2011, 12:05 PM) *
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds...whentofeed.aspx

"Avoid using peanuts, fat and bread at this time (spring and summer), since these can be harmful if adult birds feed them to their nestlings."

Generally speaking, processed food like bread is not advisable for bird feed; it is too rich in preservatives, salt, etc... although when food is scarce it might be the only option for some. Feeding when there is a rich source of food (like in the summer), is not advisable because it can make birds vulnerable to predators like birds of prey (whom you should never feed).

The bread is home made and not much go the animals as it is too delicious, what does is crumbed. We give special robin and blackbird food as well as wild bird seed. We do take the peanuts away in the nesting season and reinstate during the Autumn. Unsure if we should, but suet is all year round. Provide soft fruit and fresh water. Don't need to use pesticides as the hedgehog and duck deal with the slugs and the birds reward us by clearing up any greenfly.

+Quote Post
MoonPhoenix
post Sep 18 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 413

I don't understand.
What is a slop pail and why would you want one?

On the other side. I am rather wasteful and always seem to cook twice what I actually eat.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 18 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (MoonPhoenix @ Sep 18 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I don't understand.

Many years ago when I lived in central London the restaurants used to put out waste food in a slop bin when they closed for the night, and about 5am a team in a truck came round and emptied them - to feed pigs I believe. Rgds

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 18 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MoonPhoenix @ Sep 18 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I don't understand.

On the other side. I am rather wasteful and always seem to cook twice what I actually eat.

You have a lidded container on your kitchen counter top. You put a biodegradable liner inside then any waste food goes into the container. When this is full you empty it into a larger container which sits near your wheelie bin. Have to be really careful with the liner as it starts to break down when wet and you end up with rotten food all over your slippers. As to why anyone would want one - no one does, but many council say you must. The slop cannot be fed to pigs anymore in case anything unsuitable gets into the food chain. When I used them it was taken away and put into the furnace at the local hospital to provide heating.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 18 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Interesting thought... For thousands of years pigs have eaten all sorts of junk food. For hundreds of years they have been fed the slops of human catering excess. Now they can't eat that, so have prepared foods made in factories.

Nearly all of what they had been fed was what we had prepared for human consumption, so whatever the nasty stuff is supposed to be was in the food chain already (and continues to be so).

So now we have to 'recycle' waste food into some random process, while making replacement foods for the previous consumer.

I'm sure there is a science to this, but it sounds muddled thinking to me.....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 18 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Interesting one this. We survived the war eating anything as did the pigs and apparently were never more healthy. Then, right up 'till the abolition of retail price maintenance we had a grocer on every street corner who sold small quantities as needed. Price maintenance goes and US style competition cuts in - only 'the big chains' are trusted to feed us. So lots and lots of petty and unnecessary regulations - which simply have the effect of ensuring only fast turnover can cope. Now there is an oligopoly (in reality a monoploy) its more cost effective NOT to have sell by dates etc. Perhaps one becomes cynical with age....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Sep 18 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 18 2011, 07:56 PM) *
Interesting one this. We survived the war eating anything as did the pigs and apparently were never more healthy. Then, right up 'till the abolition of retail price maintenance we had a grocer on every street corner who sold small quantities as needed. Price maintenance goes and US style competition cuts in - only 'the big chains' are trusted to feed us. So lots and lots of petty and unnecessary regulations - which simply have the effect of ensuring only fast turnover can cope. Now there is an oligopoly (in reality a monoploy) its more cost effective NOT to have sell by dates etc. Perhaps one becomes cynical with age....

Quite correct On the edge.....only talking to somewhat younger people earlier this week I don't think its only age has anything to do with being cynical...

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 19 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

It may be some time before it happens but everyone will need to be more careful with food management as resources dwindle and world population rises. How many fields are now planted for fuel oil in preference to food.
Sounds like Jayjay has already got a regime that works for getting value for money with what he/she is buying.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 19 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #16

Guests

I don't waste any food, because I eat everything in reach.

Not good for my weight but very good for the environment. I choose to take the self-sacrificing approach.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 19 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

The OP said we were all to get slop pails. Why's that?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
stormcloud
post Sep 19 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 366

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 19 2011, 12:46 PM) *
The OP said we were all to get slop pails. Why's that?

http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=21430
though the OP would have been referring to the general Waste Review and Daily (Hate) Mail headlines at the time, rather than locally.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 19 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

We waste very little, if we cook too much I have it for lunch the next day. The rest is composted or given to the birds.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 19 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Just get yourself a human dustbin...

or cook less.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:29 PM