IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trinity School - GCSE results, ..is this a failing school?
Iommi
post Sep 11 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Mine next? Post #57

Don't worry about DP, I have a feeling that was beer talking! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 11 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 10 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Exactly - don't blame the parents, it's not their job to teach
You're seriously saying it's not a parent's duty to teach their children?

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 11 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 11 2010, 09:54 AM) *
I'm still struggling to understand what Rachel is getting at.

It seems that a former head of a small failing school developed the school into happy and vibrant place to learn and teach, but recently that has changed and teachers and parents have deserted it. It is not clear to me if she is pointing to the subsequent 'head' placement (whatever happened to head-master and mistress?), or the authorities; parents or the teachers seem to be let-off.

It seems to me. she is speaking in a way so that we may draw our own conclusions, so as not to compromise her or other's positions. In other words Rachel, and I'm sure there might be one or two howls of 'hypocrite', but would you spit it out?

2004 Small School placed on special measures, Head A attempts rescue. Head B joins to assist, Head A leaves.
2005 Small School re-inspected & reported as improving & satisfactory under Head B, with some new, some old staff & pupils.
2007 Small School re-inspected & reported as good with elements of outstanding. Head B remains in post with same staff, growing number of pupils.
2008 Head B announces her resignation, moving away with family. Head C takes over a thriving, happy, good, consistently performing well Small School.
2010 Head C still in post. 21 staff have left during 2 years, many pupils leave, Ofsted reports school to be only satisfactory & cites many problems within the school, mostly down to management, staff turn over & leadership. However, special measures are not imposed, despite it's clear demise since the previous Ofsted. During the summer holidays, 5 children leave & 2 teachers decide not to return in September, leaving KS2 with both teachers unknown to the pupils & parents.

I hope this provides some clarity?! The only reason I seem to talk in riddles, Iommi, is that I am mindful of who might read this thread. I can only state facts, as my son is still in the education system & I try, for his sake, to find the positives as always concentrating on the negatives would turn me into a miserable, moaning person. The trouble is, I'm having trouble finding good there at the moment, mostly because all the staff & many of the children have left so no-one can show me the good! That's also why I place value on a good Head; I've seen what a good job 1 can do & what a terrible mess another can make, even though they're likely to have been paid the same. Head B is still doing a great job in other schools, she spent a year in a school after she left Small School, then took a temporary post in a neighbouring LEA, but West Berks are very fortunate to have her back now & I'll be watching that new school's rise as she will pull it up, without doubt, despite it being "troubled" & I hope she gets paid handsomely.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 11 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 11 2010, 02:17 PM) *

Some obviously think this way these days.
Probably why there are so many wayward youths in modern society.
It is every parent's job to protect, nurture and educate their offspring - if they cannot or will not do that then they are unfit for the job.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 11 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I understand your position with discretion (you could have PM'd me if you felt it worthwhile), I was only confused because you repudiated a previous post of mine that now seems to be partly true. I understand now though.

One thing I have heard about the teaching profession, which is mirrored in the health service; is there is a massive reluctance to deal with incompetence...at all levels.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 11 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 11 2010, 02:41 PM) *
I understand your position with discretion (you could have PM'd me if you felt it worthwhile), I was only confused because you repudiated a previous post of mine that now seems to be partly true. I understand now though.

One thing I have heard about the teaching profession, which is mirrored in the health service; is there is a massive reluctance to deal with incompetence...at all levels.

I'm sad to say I think you are right. I have spoken with the Head & his 2 previous Assistant Heads (not to the current, temporary 1 though) on many occassions, spoken to & written to the Governors, spoken to Education Welfare & emailled Ian Pearson (Head of Education at West Berks), & each time I am refered back to the Head. It seems that I have a choice; like it or move. But having worked in education all my life, always having worked (apart from 5 months maternity leave), my husband always having worked & paid his taxes too, I feel it is our right to have our son educated well by the State. This school has proven how good it can be, but now that it is failling, no-one wants to stand up & deal with the incompetence, & our children are left as pawns in this bizare game of "Head in the Sand" rather than sack the villain. Nor will he move on of his own vollition-where else would he go?! So we are stuck in a no win situation where we've tasted brilliance but are destined never to regain it. If Mr D were to come to Small School & he turned it back around I wouldn't begrudge him a single penny of my taxes.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 11 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Rachel @ Sep 11 2010, 01:45 PM) *
You couldn't be more wrong DP, but I won't be drawn into explaining how I've come to know about the schools I speak of, only to say that my main job title & the one I value above all others is "Mother". I do also work in a paid job, it is for 52 weeks a year & 5 days a week with 5 weeks paid holiday plus bank holidays. I have worked in both public & private sectors, lived in several places, travelled a little & been inside many institutions including prisons (though I have never been an inmate) & I believe that the lessons I have learned in life entitle me to comment. Indeed, I think that this forum deserves the input from people of all walks, & I think it's a sad indictement when people are made to feel belittled & bullied by other poster's comments. Or maybe I'm wrong there, too, DP, but I'm sure you'll tell me to go & get a real job before commenting again because I now understand that you are always right & everyone else should be quiet tongue.gif
Back to the real debate now please.

Spot on! Regrettably and I suppose it's the nature of these things, this local forum is somewhat parochical. I think it is beyond dispute that education is a joint venture - between parent and teacher. Teaching is a vocation and not just a job. As the Labour Party have discovered over the past decade. If it were, then the enormous sums spent; ironically mostly at the lower end of the spectrum would now be bearing fruit. It isn't - for the reasons you've enunciated..

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 11 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 11 2010, 02:17 PM) *

Not in the classroom it's not - that was what I was saying.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 11 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 11 2010, 01:56 PM) *
Mine next? Post #57

Don't worry about DP, I have a feeling that was beer talking! biggrin.gif

Wine actually tongue.gif

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 11 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Rachel - I did say I could be wrong (it's not unheard of!), but you could have clarified your position from the first post.

Five weeks holiday eh tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 11 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 11 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Rachel - I did say I could be wrong (it's not unheard of!), but you could have clarified your position from the first post.

Five weeks holiday eh tongue.gif

In post #46 you said this, but it was post #52 I was responding to.

Yes, twas 4 weeks but after 5 years I got an extra week smile.gif .

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:29 AM