IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thames Valley Police supports International Women’s Day, How thrilling for Sarah Thornton
gel
post Mar 7 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Hopefully they'll be supporting any for men that arise too!
Oh there aren't any, if you're white\ Caucasian.

rolleyes.gif
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/newseven...m.htm?id=276293

I can think of other areas they should be prioritising blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 7 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I maintain being a white male in this day and age automatically makes you a philander, sexist pig by default.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 7 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

And a grammatical newt
to boot laugh.gif
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 7 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I wonder if there would be the same degree of support for International Probity in Policing Day?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 7 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

My mother worked hard but could only rise to a certain level due to "the glass ceiling"

Life was tough in the greenhouse!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 8 2014, 06:03 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It's amazing the extreme lengths to which the Police will go to portray and promote themselves as "diverse" and "politically correct" and yet the Stephen Lawrence case has reared its ugly head yet again! angry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 8 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 7 2014, 03:10 PM) *
I maintain being a white male in this day and age automatically makes you a philander, sexist pig by default.

Fun, ennit? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 7 2014, 03:10 PM) *

I don't agree.

As Caucasian men we experience virtually no discrimination on the grounds of our ethnicity or gender, but non-Causacians and non-men do face discrimination, in employment and elsewhere. In general I don't like discrimination and believe in the equality of opportunity, as I'm pretty sure you do too, and if recognising International Women's Day challenges gender stereotypes and promotes equality of opportunity then that's a good thing.

If you don't believe that discrimination is still with us, you might have seen in the news that Birmingham City Council may have to sell the NEC to settle £1B of equal-pay claims.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 8 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 8 2014, 01:24 PM) *
I don't agree.

As Caucasian men we experience virtually no discrimination on the grounds of our ethnicity or gender, but non-Causacians and non-men do face discrimination, in employment and elsewhere.

We may get discrimination if going for a job and up against someone slightly less qualified but from an ethnic minority or female.

We should also bear in mind that whilst Gender Equal opportunities may be affordable for big business and can be a major struggle bordering on fatal for some small businesses.

If you don't believe that discrimination is still with us, you might have seen in the news that Birmingham City Council may have to sell the NEC to settle £1B of equal-pay claims.

That is to redress historic discrimination which is not being denied

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 8 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I don't agree.

As Caucasian men we experience virtually no discrimination on the grounds of our ethnicity or gender, but non-Causacians and non-men do face discrimination, in employment and elsewhere. In general I don't like discrimination and believe in the equality of opportunity, as I'm pretty sure you do too, and if recognising International Women's Day challenges gender stereotypes and promotes equality of opportunity then that's a good thing.

I'm not one for bleating about "political correctness gone mad", but the phrase "non-men" seems to fit that description perfectly.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 8 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 8 2014, 02:16 PM) *
I'm not one for bleating about "political correctness gone mad", but the phrase "non-men" seems to fit that description perfectly.

How...why?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 8 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Is women somehow deemed offensive then? Or not encompassing enough?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Men as a group don't tend to see discrimination, but it's not just women who experience discrimination on the basis of their gender. Trans-gender and trans-sexual people for example may not necessarily self-identify as women but may see gender discrimination even though they are not men.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 8 2014, 02:56 PM) *
Or not encompassing enough?

That one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 8 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 8 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Men as a group don't tend to see discrimination, but it's not just women who experience discrimination on the basis of their gender. Trans-gender and trans-sexual people for example may not necessarily self-identify as women but may see gender discrimination even though they are not men.

I would have thought a trans gender would want to be referred to as a woman or man depending I which way they went. Just like the rest of us, surely that is the point of inclusion?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 8 2014, 05:33 PM) *
I would have thought a trans gender would want to be referred to as a woman or man depending I which way they went. Just like the rest of us, surely that is the point of inclusion?

Yes, you're absolutely right, I was mistaken. However, I was also thinking about people for whom the biological gender is ambiguous, such as those with developmental and genetic abnormalities. These people can experience discrimination because of their ambiguous gender.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 8 2014, 01:46 PM) *
We may get discrimination if going for a job and up against someone slightly less qualified but from an ethnic minority or female.

Yes, Caucasian men can experience discrimination because of their gender and ethnicity, but it is considerably less common than the discrimination faced by those in other demographics. Motormad's point was that the demographic is vilified, and that's not right.

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 8 2014, 01:46 PM) *
We should also bear in mind that whilst Gender Equal opportunities may be affordable for big business and can be a major struggle bordering on fatal for some small businesses.

I'm guessing now that you're arguing that it should be lawful to discriminate against people who may potentially go on and have children. I don't agree, but neither do I agree completely that the burden should be carried by businesses, small or otherwise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 8 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 8 2014, 06:17 PM) *
I'm guessing now that you're arguing that it should be lawful to discriminate against people who may potentially go on and have children. I don't agree, but neither do I agree completely that the burden should be carried by businesses, small or otherwise.

Indeed - for a very small business this could be too much of a burden - and thereby threaten other peoples jobs.

In general though I am in support of both maternity pay and the right for women to be promoted on an equal footing.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 8 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 8 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Indeed - for a very small business this could be too much of a burden - and thereby threaten other peoples jobs.

In general though I am in support of both maternity pay and the right for women to be promoted on an equal footing.

Quite, but I'm not so convinced by maternity pay. I see having a family as a private matter and I don't see why the employer or the state should get involved. If companies want to offer maternity benefits as part of their benefits package to attract the right people then great, crack on, but I don't really see why companies should be obliged to support people in their private choices.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Mar 8 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

How about "phallicly challenged"?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:09 PM