Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hero Milkmen of Dairy Crest
Andy1
post Jan 7 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

Being more concerned about getting home safely on Tuesday night, I didn't stop by the shop on the way home to pickup some milk. Wednesday morning is milk delivery day for me but I didn't expect any. So I was supprised Wednesday morning when I looked out my window and saw foot prints leading to my door.

The milkman who delivers to Hermitage had been, hat off to him and many thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peach
post Jan 7 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 117

Our dairy crest milk man has delivered both on Tuesday and this morning - brilliant. The bins on the other hand haven't been emptied at all this week.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 7 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

One gets paid regardless, the other doesn't?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 7 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 7 2010, 08:52 PM) *
One gets paid regardless, the other doesn't?
Milk's a bit lighter than dustbins and milkfloats are bit smaller than dustcarts.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 7 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 7 2010, 09:13 PM) *
Milk's a bit lighter than dustbins and milkfloats are bit smaller than dustcarts.

Not per cubic inch.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jan 8 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I think that this is more to do with Dairy Crest providing a brilliant customer service rather than a milk float being lighter than a Dustbin Lorry.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 8 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jan 8 2010, 10:39 AM) *
a milk float being lighter than a Dustbin Lorry.

You are right of course, that's why an out of control milk float is considerably less of a problem than an out of control dustbin lorry.
In the same way, a rubbish collection lorry closes off half the carriageway, bad enough with the ice and snow blocking the roads.

Well done the milkmen but I don't really want to see dustcarts until the roads are a little clearer.

One of the problems in contracting out to private contractors is that in the event of serious natural events such as now, that workforce is not available to WBC to assist with clearance as they used to be.
The council used to carry out works themselves, nowadays they don't even fill in a pothole, that is done by a sub contractor. This means that they do not have access, as they used to, to lorries to supplement ploughs and gritters with bolt on for the season accesories.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 8 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 8 2010, 02:08 PM) *
One of the problems in contracting out to private contractors is that in the event of serious natural events such as now, that workforce is not available to WBC to assist with clearance as they used to be.
The council used to carry out works themselves, nowadays they don't even fill in a pothole, that is done by a sub contractor. This means that they do not have access, as they used to, to lorries to supplement ploughs and gritters with bolt on for the season accesories.

That is a brilliant point. I wish someone had said that last week before all the "angry" posts!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 9 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 8 2010, 02:08 PM) *
You are right of course, that's why an out of control milk float is considerably less of a problem than an out of control dustbin lorry.
In the same way, a rubbish collection lorry closes off half the carriageway, bad enough with the ice and snow blocking the roads.

Well done the milkmen but I don't really want to see dustcarts until the roads are a little clearer.

Apparently the countryside staff were in Newbury town this week clearing the pavements. You're right though, in the past there would have been a large group of manual labourers that they could have used to clear the snow. Nowadays because people want cheaper and cheaper council tax most of this work is outsourced and if the work is not in the contract the private companies won't do it.

Back to the binmen, I'd rather they stopped collection for a day or two than risk injury and damage to their workforce and vehicles. Broken limbs or bashed up dustcarts would disrupt collection for more than a few days.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 9 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 9 2010, 11:35 AM) *
Back to the binmen, I'd rather they stopped collection for a day or two than risk injury and damage to their workforce and vehicles. Broken limbs or bashed up dustcarts would disrupt collection for more than a few days.

Agreed, but for some it is much more than a few days.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 10 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Here here, and don't forget you can use them to deliver some basic foods such as bread/eggs (+much more these days), and £support£ the milkman financially, with apologies to any lady milk delivery operatives. tongue.gif
Naturally you can do on line, and I think you can order up to 9pm for delivery on following day, depending on days you get delivered to; we're Tu/Th & Sats.
rolleyes.gif
http://www.milkandmore.co.uk

Used to help on a milk round when I were er a lad and those bottles you have to keep picking up from cart, and then picking up empties, mean your hands are permanently frozen even wearing mits (gloves with tops of fingers exposed for grip). Used to have a hand warmer which ran on ligher fluid and had some sort of glowing wick in a thin metal container that fitted in pocket, to give fingers a warm up when you gripped!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 10 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 9 2010, 11:35 AM) *
Nowadays because people want cheaper and cheaper council tax

Where is it then?? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jan 10 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

So what ! The Conncil contract out gritting, clearing snow and ice off the paths, Dustbin collection etc.... so what, get the job done

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 10 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jan 10 2010, 05:55 PM) *
So what ! The Conncil contract out gritting, clearing snow and ice off the paths, Dustbin collection etc.... so what, get the job done

A very meaningful and informative post.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:49 AM