Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horizontal cyclists, A strange way to risk your life
Bloggo
post May 16 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Driving into work this morning I observed a chap lying down on a ground level cycle mixing it with the A4 F1 drivers and I thought that it can only be a matter of time and luck before he gets creamed. He was so low on the ground that he could not easily be seen and apart from a stick on the back of the contraption there is nothing to see of him from a car window.
I can see the scenario now when he gets run over by some less observant motorist and it is everybodies fault but his.
Surely these cycles should be banned from major roads as being a danger ot only to the cyclist but also to drivers around him who might not know that he is there.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 16 2012, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 16 2012, 08:51 AM) *
Driving into work this morning I observed a chap lying down on a ground level cycle mixing it with the A4 F1 drivers and I thought that it can only be a matter of time and luck before he gets creamed. He was so low on the ground that he could not easily be seen and apart from a stick on the back of the contraption there is nothing to see of him from a car window.
I can see the scenario now when he gets run over by some less observant motorist and it is everybodies fault but his.
Surely these cycles should be banned from major roads as being a danger ot only to the cyclist but also to drivers around him who might not know that he is there.

I find cycle paths work for me, sadly you get some cyclists who refuse to use them

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 16 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

What are those bikes all about?
Is there a technical / physical reason for them or is just look at me I'm different / a prat?
And agreed, yes they are even more dangerous than ordinary bikes although I should imagine that the riders of them would take a little more care than normal cyclists who don't seem to give a d amn for the rules of the road.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 16 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 16 2012, 09:14 AM) *
What are those bikes all about?
Is there a technical / physical reason for them or is just look at me I'm different / a prat?
And agreed, yes they are even more dangerous than ordinary bikes although I should imagine that the riders of them would take a little more care than normal cyclists who don't seem to give a d amn for the rules of the road.

I give a **** for the rules of the road, apart from red traffic lights.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 16 2012, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 16 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Like the majority of cyclists!! angry.gif
If you mean when you are riding a push bike then who are you going to blame when you are injured / killed.
(Actually if you are killed you won't be blaming anyone!) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 16 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 16 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Bicycles should obey the rules of the road. More so than other road users, possibly, due to their fragilility. I guess, you don't want to be squashed/squished/flattened. I saw in another post, you were berating a user for parking in a space for parents and children. I would imagine, running a red light to be more serious.
Like having the flu instead of a cold.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 16 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 16 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Bicycles should obey the rules of the road. More so than other road users, possibly, due to their fragilility. I guess, you don't want to be squashed/squished/flattened. I saw in another post, you were berating a user for parking in a space for parents and children. I would imagine, running a red light to be more serious.
Like having the flu instead of a cold.

Actually he said he obeys red lights - which is rare for cyclists.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 16 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Actually he said he obeys red lights - which is rare for cyclists.

If you read his post again, he said exactly the opposite.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 16 2012, 09:04 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 16 2012, 10:02 AM) *

I agree cyclists should obey the rule of the road, but as other road users dont take any notice of cycclists I do pretty much as I please as long as it is safe. I will ride straight through a red light IF there are no cars around. When there is a cycle path I use it, although I refuse to cycle on hambridge lane and take the path, being considerate of pedestrians.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 16 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 16 2012, 10:02 AM) *

Depends what **** means in his post.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 16 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 16 2012, 10:11 AM) *
Depends what **** means in his post.

am not sure why it starred it, it means d a m n

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 16 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 16 2012, 10:19 AM) *

The forum software is American and the word is classified as bad.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 16 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 16 2012, 10:04 AM) *
I agree cyclists should obey the rule of the road, but as other road users dont take any notice of cycclists I do pretty much as I please as long as it is safe. I will ride straight through a red light IF there are no cars around. When there is a cycle path I use it, although I refuse to cycle on hambridge lane and take the path, being considerate of pedestrians.

Well, in your statement there is a contradiction of terms. (no offense mate)
"I agree cyclists should obey the rules of the road".
And yet you then say in your post above
"I will ride through a red light if there are no cars"

A rule of the road is that at red lights, traffic shall stop until lights turn green. It does not work on a "stop if it looks clear" principle.

So yes, Roger is right in saying that it is worse to ride through a red light than it is to park in a parent and baby space when there are no other spaces. As the parent and baby spaces have no legal standing, where as red lights do. I find the level of your double standards laughable.
It's a £30 on the spot fine for riding a bicycle through a red light, and this has happened many times (google, bicyling forums).

Although most coppers don't care, for better or for worse. It's the whole "Better than you" and/or militant attitude, shown by doing things such as riding through red lights, which is why many car drivers have little time for their two wheeled pedal powered friends.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 16 2012, 10:19 AM) *

You'll get used to the stupid American censoring software on this forum in time smile.gif. Biker1, I just assumed he was repeating the word you used - correctly as it happened.

Edit: Bloggo beat me to it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 16 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Yes, heaven forbid that one lot of road users should have to pay attention & be mindful of others.

From the window of an 18 wheeler a small car is similarly invisible when up close. Should small cars be banned from main roads too?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I am often tempted (in my car) to drive through a red light at a pedestrian crossing when there is no-one around and the thoughtless pedestrian who pressed the button when there was no traffic around is long gone. I still wait, though.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 16 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 16 2012, 11:11 AM) *
I am often tempted (in my car) to drive through a red light at a pedestrian crossing when there is no-one around and the thoughtless pedestrian who pressed the button when there was no traffic around is long gone. I still wait, though.

riding through a red light when there is no one around causes an inconveniance to nobody, where as in my opinion parking in a parent child bay causes issues for people who do genuinely have children and need the space. If I get caught I get caught, but when you cycling the last thing you wanrt to do is stop and have to get going again. Car drivers are constantly parking on the cycle path on the A4 which means I have to then go into the road, which they then moan about so you can't win.

A degree of common sense is all that is needed, I have been cycling to work for 10 years and have never had an accident.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 16 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 16 2012, 11:07 AM) *
Yes, heaven forbid that one lot of road users should have to pay attention & be mindful of others.

From the window of an 18 wheeler a small car is similarly invisible when up close. Should small cars be banned from main roads too?

No of course not. You missed my point. This particular cyclists profile was barely 2 foot above the road and could well be invisible to motorists at some time.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Remember this?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I'm the same as Andy. I will ride anywhere where it feels safe to do so. Regardless of the traffic order. Newbury's traffic system is wot made me dot officah! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:53 PM