IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Falling crime in Newbury, Are our criminals rubbish?
Bofem
post Dec 5 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

A good news story.

Crime in Newbury town centre has fallen 25% since the summer.

Yep, while other places are rioting, here in Newbury we've had four straight months of crime going DOWN.

The drop in burglaries is particularly impressive (although I hear the Hogshead was burgled at the weekend so there's more than enough going on), as is the fall in shoplifting the month Parkway opened.

So what's going on?

Are our criminals not very good?
Are our new CCTV cameras doing a great job?
Is the arrival of routinely armed police in Newbury keeping everyone indoors?

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 5 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Guests

People assume just because one place was burgled that the world is going to end. It's not. Those things happen unfortunately.

You don't mention that it's only reported crime. How many crimes go unreported because people either aren't bothered or can't be bothered. I think it's good anyway, but in my eyes Newbury was never a crime hot-spot. Look at Witley in Reading for that type of environment...

If I were a criminal (and the thought does cross my mind many times), CCTV wouldn't put me off at all. For example in a crowded shop, Christmas shopping, I could easily pickpocket or steal a small item without even being caught. Opening of a new shopping centre may have excited the thieves enough to make them forget about shoplifting... After all, laughing at a pathetic little shopping centre at the wrong end of town which isn't even full of decent shops sure as **** beats mugging old ladies.

Armed police don't intimidate me either; I happen to know that they would not shoot you for petit theft, either with beanbags or real bullets. Health and safety laws and all that. Besides I pack heat myself....it's Tescos Heat Bandage, I duffed my shoulder at the weekend somehow.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 5 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Is that crime detection down 25%?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 5 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 5 2011, 02:06 PM) *
in my eyes Newbury was never a crime hot-spot. Look at Witley in Reading for that type of environment...

Just be thankful you don't live in Notlob.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 5 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bofem @ Dec 5 2011, 01:02 PM) *
A good news story.

Crime in Newbury town centre has fallen 25% since the summer.

Yep, while other places are rioting, here in Newbury we've had four straight months of crime going DOWN.

The drop in burglaries is particularly impressive (although I hear the Hogshead was burgled at the weekend so there's more than enough going on), as is the fall in shoplifting the month Parkway opened.

So what's going on?

Are our criminals not very good?
Are our new CCTV cameras doing a great job?
Is the arrival of routinely armed police in Newbury keeping everyone indoors?

Actually crime going down is not true; it is more accurate to say that not all crime is being reported. Recently speaking to a police officer I was told that people are disillusioned with the police, the courts etc so aren't always reporting crimes. My own experience; a few years ago I witnessed a crime and called the police and offered to give a statement but when I told them who it was they said that the chances of getting a conviction against those people would be almost impossible, unless another person witnessed the crime with me as well. I said I was the only one who witnessed so he didn't take a statement. I also know other such cases where the police didn't want to take a statement. In a lot of cases (not all) a statement is only worth taking if there is a good chance of a conviction. Even if the police thought they could get a fiction then there are two other hurdles to go through; the CPS and the courts.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Crime goes in cycles. Generally speaking, while GMR has his opinion, the authorities and media claim crime has dropped a lot in the last 10 to 15 years. This is supported by the controversial British Crime Survey. I suspect the truth lies between the two.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 5 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Crime goes in cycles. Generally speaking, while GMR has his opinion, the authorities and media claim crime has dropped a lot in the last 10 to 15 years. This is supported by the controversial British Crime Survey. I suspect the truth lies between the two.

Agreeing with you, Booth@s survey of london is an interesting point . Online
The areas are still prone to crime 150 years later. However people are targets.All over.
I won't delve into Footballers wives and such, but taking manhole covers ? Train cables?
I have to stop or I will go on!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 5 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 5 2011, 05:34 PM) *

The truth always lies "between the two."

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 5 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 5 2011, 05:34 PM) *
Crime goes in cycles.

i knew those bloody bicyclits were up to something.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Dec 6 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

I do not believe that crime has gone down. I believe as one of the other posters has said, that not all crimes are reported. I live in a pretty affluent area and if we have any problems the police come out and are quick to deal with any situation. But my boyfriend lives near a council estate and has had a different experience. The police are slow to respond and do not always take action. I have been with him when the police have been called and once they realise who the trouble makers are they just give them a warning and take no further action beyond the warning. I have been informed that this is typical for certain areas. We do live in a divided society and that division depends on the area/ property and wealth of certain people.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Dec 8 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I think that a lot of crimes have [u]never[/u] been reported!

There use to be very much of a 'sort it out ourselves' attitude without involving the police.

I think that these days, a lot more of certain types of incident get reported to the police in the hope that the police can sort peoples issues out for them, without them having to take any personal responsibility.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 8 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Dec 8 2011, 04:02 PM) *

There use to be very much of a 'sort it out ourselves' attitude without involving the police.

I think that these days, a lot more of certain types of incident get reported to the police in the hope that the police can sort peoples issues out for them, without them having to take any personal responsibility.

But that would suggest that crime is going up. It's not. And if you remember that Labour passed more than 500 laws since 1997....plus police now dealing with domestic violence etc, and it's getting better.

Mind you....one of Newbury's crims has just got out of prison on early release.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 8 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Dec 8 2011, 04:02 PM) *

But that would suggest that crime is going up. It's not. And if you remember that Labour passed more than 500 laws since 1997....plus police now dealing with domestic violence etc, and it's getting better.

Mind you....one of Newbury's crims has just got out of prison on early release.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:24 AM