Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Benyon's family estate destroying 218 acres of woodland
Sherlock
post Dec 9 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

He's an environment minister. Do you think he's misunderstood the job description? You're not supposed to be trashing the environment, Richard. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/9732709/E...f-woodland.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Dec 9 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Dec 9 2012, 10:45 PM) *
He's an environment minister. Do you think he's misunderstood the job description? You're not supposed to be trashing the environment, Richard. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/9732709/E...f-woodland.html

Tell me please, when did you not expect him to do this? He's a buzzard killing, hosepipe wasting maniac Tory landowner of the very worst kind. Minister of destruction is more like it. Shame on him.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 10 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Is it his land?
If so he's entitled to do what he likes whether it appeases you or not.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what he's doing but sometimes I do feel sorry for politicians who have every aspect of their life examined, questioned, with angry, livid and ill informed cake-bakers commenting on their everyone move.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Dec 10 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Penelope @ Dec 9 2012, 11:34 PM) *
He's a buzzard killing, hosepipe wasting maniac Tory landowner of the very worst kind. Minister of destruction is more like it. Shame on him.

By "hosepipe wasting" you are referring to the story in The People by a left-wing hack claiming he found a hosepipe running at the Minister's home just after the ban had come in..... and you believe this?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 10 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Can't say that I am a fan of gravel extraction sites - but I look out of my window and see a gravel covered area of my garden - it has to come from somewhere.

The protesters in this case, as in many others, massively overstate their case. The magnificent pine forest they are so upset at losing is a mature plantation that would have been cropped around this time anyway. The wetlands are in Benyon's Enclosure and are some distance from the quarry site.

I also not that the paper has pointedly put "who moved to Hampshire 7 months ago" alongside the name of the quoted protester. The gravel extraction plans have been around longer than him.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 10 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

According to this, it's not under his control:

Mr Benyon told The Sunday Times he was unable to comment because the estate was controlled by a family trust so as not to conflict with his ministerial duties.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Dec 10 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 10 2012, 11:14 AM) *
According to this, it's not under his control:

The tax avoiding family trust fund eh. Not under his or his families control - my ar se.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

One man made landscape replaced by another, which in turn will be replaced by another. So what.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 10 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

The new Lib Dem PPC Judy Bunting was jumping on this bandwagon too, shame she wasn't around to fight the proposal with everyone else before it's approval 14 months ago. I think the worrying thing for Benyon is that the national media keep recycling stories about him, he's obviously done something to upset them!! Add in badgers and buzzards, he's not the ideal person for a DEFRA portfolio, is he??

Talking of our environmentally friendly Tory friends, it would appear that West Berkshire is under attack from "super rats" : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-20664037 - I'd say that before any permission is even thought about being given to use stronger rat poison, there must be significant checks and research to see what damage it could cause to other wildlife etc.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 10 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Dec 10 2012, 11:03 AM) *
By "hosepipe wasting" you are referring to the story in The People by a left-wing hack claiming he found a hosepipe running at the Minister's home just after the ban had come in..... and you believe this?

Just out of interest, any news on the outcome of the complaint Mr Benyon made to the authorities against "The People"?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

he's obviously done something to upset them!!

he is too squeaky clean, came out of the expenses scandal with a glowing reputation.....

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Add in badgers and buzzards, he's not the ideal person for a DEFRA portfolio, is he??

I'd suggest you find out what DEFRA is supposed to be the department for.....it certainly isn't wildlife conservation. The clue is in 'Farming'.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 10 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 10 2012, 12:42 PM) *
he's obviously done something to upset them!!

he is too squeaky clean, came out of the expenses scandal with a glowing reputation.....

Not a reason to go after him though, is it? Let's face it, this whole quarry thing was decided over 14 months ago. Why are the Lib Dems making it sound like it's a new issue? Judy Bunting was certain that this was not the same quarry, and posted a link to a previous story from April I believe. If she knew the area, and had been around at the time, she would realise that it is in fact the same and that many people had tried to fight it at the time. Just not the Lib Dems.

Let's face it. Richard will do whatever is in the interest of landowners. BUT, there has to be a safety catch for wildlife and anything else that he wishes to destroy that may stand in his path.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 10 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Not a reason to go after him though, is it? Let's face it, this whole quarry thing was decided over 14 months ago. Why are the Lib Dems making it sound like it's a new issue? Judy Bunting was certain that this was not the same quarry, and posted a link to a previous story from April I believe. If she knew the area, and had been around at the time, she would realise that it is in fact the same and that many people had tried to fight it at the time. Just not the Lib Dems.

Standard political tit for tat.

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 10 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Let's face it. Richard will do whatever is in the interest of landowners. BUT, there has to be a safety catch for wildlife and anything else that he wishes to destroy that may stand in his path.

he is a farmer. it is what they do.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 10 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 10 2012, 12:44 PM) *
Add in badgers and buzzards, he's not the ideal person for a DEFRA portfolio, is he??

I'd suggest you find out what DEFRA is supposed to be the department for. ....it certainly isn't wildlife conservation. The clue is in 'Farming'.

I'd suggest you find out what DEFRA is supposed to be the department for, too:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/protecting-wildlife/

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 10 2012, 01:13 PM) *
I'd suggest you find out what DEFRA is supposed to be the department for, too:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/protecting-wildlife/

the main point of DEFRA is Farming.

'Conservation' may be part of the remit, but it is a long, long long way down the list. It is one of those 'it has to go somewhere, so lets stick it here' portfolios. Talk about clash of interests.

It would be better if wildlife conservation was kept with the heritage stuff.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 10 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 10 2012, 01:17 PM) *
the main point of DEFRA is Farming.

'Conservation' may be part of the remit, but it is a long, long long way down the list. It is one of those 'it has to go somewhere, so lets stick it here' portfolios. Talk about clash of interests.

It would be better if wildlife conservation was kept with the heritage stuff.

What ever you think it should be is besides the point. Richard Garvie's point that you tried to mock was legitimate.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is a government department in the UK.

We cover – we make policy and legislation, and work with others to deliver our policies in - areas such as:

the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
sustainable development and the green economy
food, farming and fisheries
animal health and welfare
environmental protection and pollution control
rural communities and issues.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Dec 10 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

You're right, it's a fuss about nothing. Looking at his job description I'm sure that the Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Natural Environment, Water and Rural Affairs will ensure all the right boxes are ticked.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/about/wh...nisters/benyon/

Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Natural Environment, Water and Rural Affairs
Richard Benyon MP was appointed as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State on 14 May 2010.

Portfolio

Natural Environment

Biodiversity (domestic and international, including international forestry)
Land management and soil (including commons and contaminated land)
National parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty
Ecosystem services
Joint Nature Conservation Committee
Wildlife management

Water and Marine

Flooding and coastal erosion
Inland waterways
Water resource management and quality (including Ofwat)
Fisheries, including Common Fisheries Policy and EU Fisheries Council
Marine Environment (including Marine and Coastal Access Act implementation and Marine Management Organisation)

Rural Affairs

Economic development (including broadband and mobile technologies)
Skills and apprenticeships
Countryside and rights of way including coastal and wider access
Rural Development Programme for England (joint with David Heath)

Departmental administration

Commons handling of Lords portfolio

Air quality, noise and litter
Climate change adaptation and mitigation (including biofuels)
Environmental regulation
Environmental Science
Localism and civil society
Waste and management

You have to hand it to Mr Garvie, whoever he is. **** will have frozen over before, thawn out again and have been redeveloped as a new Disney theme park before Labour stand the slightest chance of being elected in this constitutency and even then they wouldn't get elected. Yet still he batters on. Any Labour supporter (I think he supports Labour) who had any real ambition for political office would move somewhere where he might stand some chance of being taken seriously. But no, sticks with his utterly pointless mission. Well done that man!

Anyway, interesting that the piece about Sir Richard was in the Torygraph. Why was that?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 10 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 10 2012, 01:22 PM) *
What ever you think it should be is besides the point. Richard Garvie's point that you tried to mock was legitimate.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is a government department in the UK.

We cover – we make policy and legislation, and work with others to deliver our policies in - areas such as:

the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
sustainable development and the green economy
food, farming and fisheries
animal health and welfare
environmental protection and pollution control
rural communities and issues.

Yes I know, but to even think for a moment, that conservation & wildlife is going to take preceedence over the main purpose of the department is foolish. The above cut & paste is very carefully worded......

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Dec 10 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 10 2012, 01:28 PM) *
Yes I know, but to even think for a moment, that conservation & wildlife is going to take preceedence over the main purpose of the department is foolish. The above cut & paste is very carefully worded......

This does seem rather an extreme case, though. Mr Benyon was recently quoted as saying he 'loved trees'. Cutting down 218 acres of them to make yet more money seems a little at odds with this, doesn't it? But I suppose the fact his department ignored all the warnings about ash dieback until it was far too late to do anything about it told us that the 'loving trees' line was slightly disingenuous. The following springs to mind:

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize."
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:21 PM