IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What laws would you change or introduce.
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

And Phil, it's could have, would have or should have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Aug 18 2011, 05:18 PM) *
When you move to a new country, isn't the polite thing to do is assimilate by learning the language and culture. Should you not try to work to better the society you are now in?

Yes. Take a trip to the Western Isles or parts of North Wales (both areas of the UK) and bang on loudly in a pub about the need to assimilate the language and culture of England. Please.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 18 2011, 05:22 PM) *
Yes. Take a trip to the Western Isles or parts of North Wales (both areas of the UK) and bang on loudly in a pub about the need to assimilate the language and culture of England. Please.

You obviously didn't understand when I wrote

When you move to a new country, isn't the polite thing to do is assimilate by learning the language and culture

If I lived in Wales, I would try to learn Welsh if that was the "recognised language" spoke by everyone. When we lived in Ireland, we did learn a little gaelic and my son studied it in school, even though everyone spoke english.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

And Phil, it's could have, would have or should have.

I am speaking my "recognised" language of New Yorkese American English in the Republic of Phil...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_dialect

smile.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Aug 18 2011, 05:36 PM) *
I am speaking my "recognised" language of New Yorkese American English in the Republic of Phil...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_dialect

smile.gif

Sorry, I didn't spot where 'have' is replaced by 'of' in that dialect. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Me neither....

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 18 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Sorry, I didn't spot where 'have' is replaced by 'of' in that dialect.

Me neither....

I take it you guys help tutor all those who got A* on the english A levels..

+Quote Post
Simon
post Aug 19 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

one day, maybe, we could stick to the topic of the origional post

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 19 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Simon @ Aug 19 2011, 11:16 AM) *
one day, maybe, we could stick to the topic of the origional post

Nah - Some trolls on this forum only want to criticise peoples grammar!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 19 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

To be fair I only criticised Phil's spelling because he was saying that everyone should learn the mother tongue of the country you live in, whilst demonstrating the opposite. It was an opportunity for sarcasm that overwhelmed me. I am weak, but that has nothing to do with "trolling".

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 19 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

To be fair I only criticised Phil's spelling because he was saying that everyone should learn the mother tongue of the country you live in, whilst demonstrating the opposite

Spelling or grammar, get it right..

BTW - nobody's perfect...

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 19 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

A law I would like to change is the one that dictates how many parking spaces must be made available when new housing is built.

I believe spaces are worked out by multiplying the number of houses by 1.5

Having read that the developers want to turn the land occupied by the Blue Ball pub into 8 houses with just 12 parking spaces, I feel that those houses will attract at least 2 and probably 3 or 4 cars per house when you take into account husband & wife cars, and if old enough their 2 children's cars to say nothing of friends visiting. I would image the area around that pub will get a bit crowded.

I'd like to see the law changed so that parking spaces are calculated based on the number of bedrooms in each house! That would give a much more realistic calculation of parking requirements and would actually force greedy developers to tone down their plans a bit.

So with the Blue Ball application for 2 x 2 bed houses and 6 x 3 beds, it would work out at 22 spaces. Naturally there won't be enough room, so then developers would have to reduce the houses to perhaps just 5 or give up and leave the pub alone so it can remain a pub smile.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 19 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Aug 19 2011, 06:12 PM) *
Spelling or grammar, get it right..

BTW - nobody's perfect...

Do you not see the irony in criticising people for "knowing the lingo" whilst making grammatical errors? It was meant light heartedly.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I gave up irony after discovering myself talking whilst ironing some shirts.
How sad, no one to bore except your shirts.... as for gram ma,leave her alone.
She paid her taxis.
I'll come back to laws, but I agree about the parking places and housing.
ce

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 19 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 19 2011, 06:28 PM) *
Do you not see the irony in criticising people for "knowing the lingo" whilst making grammatical errors? It was meant light heartedly.

I may make a few grammatical errors (nobody's perfect), but I will stand by my statement (irony, lighthearted or not) that if you immigrate to the UK, you should understand and pass an english exam. I will take any test the government gives me to stand by what I say.

I stand by my comments regarding a language test, as there are people who have been in the UK for decades who still don't know the language, but have expectations that all forms, etc should be in their language.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 19 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I would legalise all drugs for personal use, disestablish the church of england, abolish all taxes and duties except for income tax, cancel trident, leave NATO, half the size of the armed forces, abolish planning permission and building control, nationalise the rail and utility companies, abolish social services, outlaw all religeous symbols and costumes except for full pirate regalia, abolish every single quango, and abolish all central government ministries and departments except for defence, home office, and transport, and create a new one for the utilities. I'd also make being an MP an unpaid role, and I'd have parliament sit for six weeks a year and limit it to passing only six acts each sitting with no statutory instruments, and only then if they repealed ten times as much legislation as they passed.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 19 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

By Jove Sir, you have it !! bang on the jolly old nose as we say in dear old Blighty ! What a simply spiffing idea. hoorah for you !! you did however forget to mention the return of the jolly old "Droite de Signeur" Jolly popular in my family at one time.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 20 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Just spent an amusing spell catching up on "Droite de Signeur".
I was slightly mixing it up with standing up on buses for older folk.

It seems that Lord Coe's ancestors used that in the dim and distant past.
Catherine Cookson more or less used the theme in her bodice ripper stories, usually with Robson as the lead.

The whole idea seems to have been a myth until Voltaire wrote a play produced after his death and the idea took off.
Interestingly in the references there was a Roman Emperor who took it upon himself to see to both the bride and groom.
A fictional account written for a TV programme.

Hackney cab drivers are still allowed in London to p** up against a rear wheel in the street.Not sure about the other needs.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 20 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 19 2011, 06:13 PM) *
A law I would like to change is the one that dictates how many parking spaces must be made available when new housing is built.

I believe spaces are worked out by multiplying the number of houses by 1.5

No - they are not that generous. The parking spaces for blocks of flats are limited (yes limited) to 2 spaces for every 3 flats. The Blue Ball application could even fail for having too many spaces.

A friend of mine built a small development of luxury houses - his original application was turned down because he designed in too many parking spaces. He removed a space from each house by grassing it over (so the purchasers could add the extra space if they wanted to) and got planning approval.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 20 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Parking spaces. It does seem a policy at present in inner cities to not allow resident parking permits at all.
Many old Victorian schools and playgrounds are being re-used/developed. Streetcar is popular. My daughter sometimes has to use it, often a BMW 1 series. Fine for short journeys to IKEA for example,pricey for longer trips.

I tried streetview to see the "Blue Ball".I only found a rather nice old house. I guess the development would be behind on the carpark or bowling green. Those are disappearing fast.

I am up there with Guido Fawkes, and Simon Kirby.(I suspect a moment of jest!) Let's have a hung Parliament...literally.
(that would sort out the mess).
Too many researchers are just waiting their turn to get on the gravy train. Not to mention the CEOs of Local Authorities.
Silly dreams.
ce

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:11 PM