IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What laws would you change or introduce.
dannyboy
post Nov 4 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #121

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 4 2011, 03:43 PM) *
For a while it wasn't, but since they re-painted that dotted line showing the left lane from London Road feeding into the two lanes going past the fire station, it is now perfectly clear.

Next time I'm cycling around the RH I'll have a look.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 4 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Nov 4 2011, 03:37 PM) *
I think it's perfectly clear. My Mum none the less (60-something year old woman) who will do exactly what I'm saying; jump the queue and push in. While I am a passenger and she goes to do this I will have a go at her, to which she says "Don't tell me how to drive, I've been driving for blah blah years" - To which I say "well, that as may be, but you clearly forgot how to obey the rules of the road".

And you have forgotten the rule about not distracting the driver.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 4 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Now we've cleared that one up everyone will carry on doing exactly as they did before!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 4 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #124

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

What we need is a few policemen on point duty tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 4 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #125

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 4 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Now we've cleared that one up everyone will carry on doing exactly as they did before!! tongue.gif

Probably. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 4 2011, 03:46 PM) *
And you have forgotten the rule about not distracting the driver.

I am quite a distracting passenger. Although between talking on the phone (rare but does happen), smoking and playing with her plastic bag on the gearstick, there's little opportunity for any actual distractions.

When I used to be a passenger (not with her I should add) I would take off my trousers which certainly caused a few close calls and a few red faces!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 4 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #126

Advanced Member

OK what about this one then?

At a roundabout with 4 roads converging..........

If you are turning left you indicate left. Obvious
If you are going straight on you don't indicate until you are approaching the exit. Obvious.
BUT.....
If you are turning right do you indicate right as you approach and go round the roundabout and then indicate left as you approach the exit OR do you not indicate until you signal left as you approach your exit?
In other words do you or do you not indicate as you go round the roundabout but only left as you approach your exit????? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 4 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #127

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 4 2011, 03:56 PM) *
OK what about this one then?

At a roundabout with 4 roads converging..........

If you are turning left you indicate left. Obvious
If you are going straight on you don't indicate until you are approaching the exit. Obvious.
BUT.....
If you are turning right do you indicate right as you approach and go round the roundabout and then indicate left as you approach the exit OR do you not indicate until you signal left as you approach your exit?
In other words do you or do you not indicate as you go round the roundabout but only left as you approach your exit????? blink.gif

I would indicate right around the roundabout and then left at my exit. Whether that is legal or not (probably is the right thing to do anyway) but if not that's what would make sense.

Unless of course you're supposed to indicate left and then turn right. To really add to the challenge you could drive with your hazard lights on. That'd really confuse people. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 4 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 4 2011, 03:56 PM) *
If you are turning right do you indicate right as you approach and go round the roundabout and then indicate left as you approach the exit

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 4 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

ps your artwork contains some artistic license!
I thought it was a bit medical.

I agree you should be more aware in strange towns and follow road markings.
My mum/your mum is not the best person to take advice from.

I refused the SatNav option. I would rather take the long route round than have an electronic
female tell me what to do. The times I have been round a roundabout looking for an out of the way village.
All the while keeping in the correct lane looking for the tiny sign at the bottom of the list.

ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 4 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #130

Advanced Member

Nah XJ I'd have nicked a Corsa and gorn across the middle.

Sorry about that, I believe you have the correct procedure at a roundabout.
I am sure there is a Public Service Broadcast from the 1950s describing the proper methods.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 4 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #131

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 4 2011, 05:13 PM) *
I am sure there is a Public Service Broadcast from the 1950s describing the proper methods.

Yes but women didn't drive then!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 4 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #132

Guests

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 4 2011, 04:13 PM) *
Nah XJ I'd have nicked a Corsa and gorn across the middle.

Like the PG tips advert; ended up something like this

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 4 2011, 04:04 PM) *
ps your artwork contains some artistic license!
I thought it was a bit medical.

It started off as a duck with a broken leg but ended up like that.

My mum/your mum is not the best person to take advice from.
I would rather take the long route round than have an electronic
female tell me what to do
ce

are you talking about my mum again? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 4 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

I think we are having a bit of a laugh at the moment.
I am sure someone will put us all on the naughty step soon.... "Get back on topic"

Xjay and Biker 1, my mother drove a 1952 Buick convertible, in stages from Baghdad to Yorkshire in 1953.
Tricky times in the Balkan regions. Something went wrong with a pothole problem and they pulled up at a town to find a garage.

Speak to the Mayor they all said, so parents did...Mayor said It will be fixed tomorrow."Engineer will be there"
Strange evening in a communal guesthouse. Next morning dead on time the Mayor turns up in overalls
blowtorch at the ready and we were on the road again.
Ahhh the old days of motoring.
ce

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Nov 4 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

Some roundabouts are confusing take, for example, jn 15 M4.

Leaving the M4 Westbound, the 2 lane exit ramp splits into 3 lanes at the roundabout. Normally you would think left lane=left, middle lane=straight over and right lane=right.

But most traffic leaving the M4 here is to go right onto the dual carriageway (A419) to Swindon and Cirencester. So both middle and right lane tend to have traffic turning right (as you would not want to rejoin the motorway again so the middle lane is not really seen for that purpose perhaps). But it is the left lane that splits into two, not the right. So some people (who know the junction) and who are turning right, are initally in the left lane (to move into the middle lane when it splits). And the road markings do not help.

I have seen many car drivers obviously see the extra (middle) lane at the last minute and to beat a queue, move into it from the right - to the blaring of horns from cars in the left lane who see themselves cut up - as it is their lane which is splitting into two, not the right lane.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 4 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #135

Advanced Member

Ok I agree it is the University "Road Plan"course that is at fault.

There is a huge roundabout for Shepherds Bush and Notting Hill and to the North.
I use it often. It starts with 3 lanes but in 25 metres has become 6 lanes.
It was always thus and you can't blame Westfield for the extra trouble,but it is
a bit of an Arc de Triomphe to get round to where you want to exit.
Indicators are a waste of time!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 4 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Nov 4 2011, 02:42 PM) *
and I would simply slow down/speed up in order to keep alongside the vehicle so it is not able to come across. Childish and immature, yes. Does it prove a point, which is my *point* - well I'd think that person wouldn't do that again - dangerous? Not really.

I am sorry XJay but that is really poor driving - you don't know if someone has made a genuine mistake or not. I don't expect you to just jump out of the way, but speeding up and slowing down is dangerous, necessary and just going out of your way to be a nuisance, which is worse than the actions you are having a go at others for doing.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Nov 4 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 4 2011, 06:07 PM) *
I am sorry XJay but that is really poor driving - you don't know if someone has made a genuine mistake or not. I don't expect you to just jump out of the way, but speeding up and slowing down is dangerous, necessary and just going out of your way to be a nuisance, which is worse than the actions you are having a go at others for doing.

Not only that; if there were to be a collision and it was suspected (let alone established by admission!) that Xjay was driving in such a manner then (irrespective of whether his vehicle was physically in contact or not) he could find himself on the wrong end of civil or criminal action. Xjay, why put yourself on offer mate? Take a chill pill rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 5 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #138

Guests

ohmy.gif

Well if you put it like that..

wacko.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:23 PM