> The fate of Marcus, Death is a meaty subject
Strafin
post Sep 13 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 13 2009, 02:27 PM) *
There's a difference between meat and a food which uses animal products in it's creation. Vegans would eat neither, but some vegetarians would eat the latter. That's my final say on this as you seem to have dragged the thread off topic on to one of your point-scoring rants.

I would say that you have dragged it off topic on one of your point scoring rants. A vegetarian would not eat a meat product full stop including fish. If they do then they are not a vegetarian. A vegan will not eat anything that was produce with animal labour. It's as simple as that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 13 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 13 2009, 02:27 PM) *
There's a difference between meat and a food which uses animal products in it's creation. Vegans would eat neither, but some vegetarians would eat the latter.

You can't have "some" vegetarians - either they are or they aren't. If they are, they don't knowingly eat (ingest would be a better word) any part of an animal. "Animal products" is ambiguous: eggs and milk are animal products, but ok for vegetarians.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 13 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Making the connection for children used to be left for outside the classroom. Look at the foodf ad. from the 1930's - butchers vans with cartoon 'happy' pigs and such like. Today's news with product placement on TV will help - 'Babe' pork scratchings and 'Bambi' burgers. Suppose that would get scuppered by the no red meat lobby. wink.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 13 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 13 2009, 11:56 AM) *
But this approach can be taken too far. Taking an extreme case, would you prefer the "propoganda" that people should be tolerant of all religions and races, or present the "balanced view" that some people think that only white people should live in Britain, so that the children can form their own opinion?

There are basic morals and ethics that should be instilled at an early age.

Basic morals & ethics should be instilled at an early age, my view is exactly as yours.....but that's a parent's call, not that of an outsider, albeit school staff, au pair, preist or whoever.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 13 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Rachel @ Sep 13 2009, 04:29 PM) *
Basic morals & ethics should be instilled at an early age, my view is exactly as yours.....but that's a parent's call, not that of an outsider, albeit school staff, au pair, preist or whoever.

I don't agree. Some parents are not as caring or capable as you. If the parent doesn't bother, who is going to?

Perhaps that (not stepping in) is the root cause of some of the problems we've been discussing elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 13 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 13 2009, 04:37 PM) *
I don't agree. Some parents are not as caring or capable as you. If the parent doesn't bother, who is going to?

Perhaps that (not stepping in) is the root cause of some of the problems we've been discussing elsewhere.

I agree, if all parents could be trusted with the moral welfare of their children, teachers would only need to teach curriculum subjects. Sadly this isn't the case.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 13 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 13 2009, 04:37 PM) *

Crikey! Caring & capable......goes to show how misguiding these forums can be!!!! Only joking, that's a kind observation, I do try my best rolleyes.gif .
Before my son was born, I always just knew it was my duty not to influence the children in my care on subjective issues (I consider things like politics, religion, diet to be a few of these topics), but since my son was born I have worn the boot on the other foot (as the mother) & now I'm sure I was right. If anyone is going to influence him at an early age, it's going to be me! "Outside agencies" must stick to the basic rights & wrongs (which would be governed by society) & at the point in time when he's mature enough to form his own opinions, THEN I will welcome their valuable input. Please remember, I not talking about racism, illegal activities, life limmiting activities, acts that would cause offence or hurt to others-I would expect all adults to guide my son morally. But on whether to kill animals to eat, testing on animals for all or any reasons, how the universe began-the decision on when a child can really form a considered opinion on these things is best known by parents, or by staff who have been entrusted by parents. All children mature at different rates, but as a rough idea, I would suggest that children can normally take the responsibility of decision making on these sort of views around the 9 years of age mark. Until then, let children be children, I think, without bogging them down with politics.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 13 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

That was pretty deep! Good set of values to work with; situations like these mothers are generally right - as you rightly say, they have the best knowledge and biggest interest. Of course, doesn't apply to all but (thank God) it does to the majority.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 13 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 13 2009, 08:26 PM) *
That was pretty deep! Good set of values to work with; situations like these mothers are generally right - as you rightly say, they have the best knowledge and biggest interest. Of course, doesn't apply to all but (thank God) it does to the majority.

Was, wasn't it?! Now for a little light (perhaps abit soppy) relief....a poem that I like....

Unity
By Cleo V. Swarat

I dreamed I stood in a studio
And watched two sculptors there,
The clay they used was a young child’s mind
And they fashioned it with care.

One was a teacher:
the tools she used were books and music and art;
One was a parent
With a guiding hand and gentle loving heart.

And when at last their work was done,
They were proud of what they had wrought.
For the things they had worked into the child
Could never be sold or bought!

And each agreed she would have failed
if she had worked alone.
For behind the parent stood the school,
and behind the teacher stood the home!

Yes, I know it's idealistic, but I like it anyway, not least because it doesn't blame either teacher or parent, just reminds us of our duty & our opportunities to mould & grow our tommorow people.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 14 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 13 2009, 03:37 PM) *
Making the connection for children used to be left for outside the classroom.

This is a rural school in Romney Marsh - a place where a major economic factor is salt marsh lamb.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of these kids know full well, even before starting school, the connection between live animals and meat.

If you read the full story, the KS2 school council voted for slaughter.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:19 AM