> D-Day +75
Andy1
post May 17 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 16 2019, 08:27 AM) *
Lot's of things happened in the war. Should we have a commemoration of the end of the D day landings? We already have VE day of course. And the end of the war day. Like you said it was 75 years ago, we don't do with all the other wars and why should we commemorate war anyway?

I would take your point if the protests were being commemorated instead, but they're not.

It's not like anything is done to remember the Battle of Newbury. Oh wait.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Andy1 @ May 17 2019, 03:13 PM) *

There are huge celebrations/remembrances going on in Normandy. Rightly.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 17 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

I'm sure the men in these videos along with Eisenhower himself would agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uk0CpEo9cM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR1D1sBlRlo

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (newres @ May 17 2019, 03:28 PM) *
There are huge celebrations/remembrances going on in Normandy. Rightly.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/pho...-historical.jpg

This is from Concord Bridge in Massachusetts, acknowledging their loss.

Although in Phil's case he seems to think we should be proud of his country too!

No I don't, but I recognize the contribution of my brother and sisters in uniform, regardless of the flag they defend. That is why I said the Union Jack should be on the plaque.

https://cornexchangenew.com/event/greenham-...experience-2019

Yes, I been on it. It was an embarrassment. The uniforms of the so called Americans were wrong, as was some of the terminology. You think that being the so called experts they could get it right? Oh, I forgot, it's a dramatization.

There are huge celebrations/remembrances going on in Normandy

Again, what do you have against a plaque or some sort of remembrance ceremony at the location where Ike talked to the airborne troops the hours before they dropped into France. Greenham was a significant site, because for many of those BURIED in Normandy this was the last place they were ALIVE!!!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy1 @ May 17 2019, 03:13 PM) *

The Sealed Knot used to do a "Battle of Newbury" . I remember my USAF squadron doing something there, and it was a great day out.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 17 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 17 2019, 03:51 PM) *

No I don't, but I recognize the contribution of my brother and sisters in uniform, regardless of the flag they defend. That is why I said the Union Jack should be on the plaque.

Yes, I been on it. It was an embarrassment. The uniforms of the so called Americans were wrong, as was some of the terminology. You think that being the so called experts they could get it right? Oh, I forgot, it's a dramatization.

Again, what do you have against a plaque or some sort of remembrance ceremony at the location where Ike talked to the airborne troops the hours before they dropped into France. Greenham was a significant site, because for many of those BURIED in Normandy this was the last place they were ALIVE!!!

You are clearly quite passionate about this. Have you formally approached the Control Tower Management Committee or Greenham Parish Council? They had quite a struggle to save the place, so funding of even a modest plaque could be an issue, so your request would be much more positively received if you offered to help set up crowd funding or such like.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 17 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 17 2019, 04:45 PM) *
You are clearly quite passionate about this. Have you formally approached the Control Tower Management Committee or Greenham Parish Council? They had quite a struggle to save the place, so funding of even a modest plaque could be an issue, so your request would be much more positively received if you offered to help set up crowd funding or such like.

Yes Mr Brown. I have spoken to the RBL, the Greenham Trust, the people at the Control Tower, the WBC and NTC, and most recently someone who was on the inside of a couple of these organizations.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 17 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 17 2019, 03:51 PM) *

No objection at all. That’s not what you’re ranting about though.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 18 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #89

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 17 2019, 07:46 PM) *

What am I ranting about? I am angry that their is no commemorative ceremony at Greenham for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

I am angry that their is no plaque for this, I am angry that there is no acknowledgement for the sacrifices of the British and Americans from 1942 to 1992.

I am angry that everyone in power are bending over to the loony left and don't acknowledge what I say above.

I called all this out 2 years ago for the 25th anniversary of the Americans leaving GC, with was also the 20th anniversary of the Greenham Trust. There were events, but they were spun for the loony left.

How do I know, because I attended some of them. A dramatization of what life was like in Newbury back in 1942 is not paying homage or respect to those who jumped out, a permanent reminder of what they did is paying respect.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post May 18 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 17 2019, 07:46 PM) *

Pot, kettle. That is all you ever do on this forum as well as disrespect and belittle.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 18 2019, 11:02 AM) *
What am I ranting about? I am angry that their is no commemorative ceremony at Greenham for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

I am angry that their is no plaque for this, I am angry that there is no acknowledgement for the sacrifices of the British and Americans from 1942 to 1992.

I am angry that everyone in power are bending over to the loony left and don't acknowledge what I say above.

I called all this out 2 years ago for the 25th anniversary of the Americans leaving GC, with was also the 20th anniversary of the Greenham Trust. There were events, but they were spun for the loony left.

How do I know, because I attended some of them. A dramatization of what life was like in Newbury back in 1942 is not paying homage or respect to those who jumped out, a permanent reminder of what they did is paying respect.

You think there should have been events to mark 25 years since the Americans left? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 18 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 18 2019, 03:14 PM) *
You think there should have been events to mark 25 years since the Americans left? rolleyes.gif

You really have issues.

Again, I am not looking for a plaque highlighting when the USAF left, I am looking for a plaque to recognize the years of service the base played.

Again:

For those who served

1942 to 1992

Union Jack and Stars and Stripes.

Simple, to the point, elegant..

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 18 2019, 04:04 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 18 2019, 03:46 PM) *
You really have issues.

Again, I am not looking for a plaque highlighting when the USAF left, I am looking for a plaque to recognize the years of service the base played.

Again:

For those who served

1942 to 1992

Union Jack and Stars and Stripes.

Simple, to the point, elegant..

Really can't see any issue at all with that. Given the cost of the Control Tower project, a simple plaque isn't even going to feature as a separate expence.

I must admit, thinking about it, the area makes very little of its history as an American base, let alone it's part in the Second World War and the subsequent Cold War. What's left of what was apparently the biggest supply depot in Europe which stretched between Newbury and Thatcham, the massive upgrade of the DNS railway, Camps at Snelsmore, the bombing raid etc. Let alone Glenn Miller at the Corn Exchange. Could be a tourist attraction for both sides of the pond!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 18 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

A simple "From this place the first steps were launched to defeat an overwhelming evil in Europe. In remembrance of all those who served" on a background of crossed union jack and stars and stripes shouldn't be too difficult. I mean, statue to jack o Newbury anyone?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 18 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Alternatively, just tell them that some of the servicemen were black n gay. You'll have a twelve foot memorial by sundown.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ May 18 2019, 03:46 PM) *
You really have issues.

I was reacting to this:

“I called all this out 2 years ago for the 25th anniversary of the Americans leaving GC, with was also the 20th anniversary of the Greenham Trust. There were events, but they were spun for the loony left.”

You are saying we should be commemorating the US forces leaving. Next you’ll want us commemorating the smelliest fart recorded in building 24.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 18 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 18 2019, 05:04 PM) *
Really can't see any issue at all with that. Given the cost of the Control Tower project, a simple plaque isn't even going to feature as a separate expence.

I must admit, thinking about it, the area makes very little of its history as an American base, let alone it's part in the Second World War and the subsequent Cold War. What's left of what was apparently the biggest supply depot in Europe which stretched between Newbury and Thatcham, the massive upgrade of the DNS railway, Camps at Snelsmore, the bombing raid etc. Let alone Glenn Miller at the Corn Exchange. Could be a tourist attraction for both sides of the pond!

What would a plaque cost? I would be willing to front some of this.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 19 2019, 06:19 AM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 18 2019, 07:38 PM) *

There you go, theres your first donation, perhaps set up an official crowd fund and get a proper campaign in motion. If people agree with you it wont be long before you're installing a commemorative plaque, although it wont be on the right anniversary.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 19 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 18 2019, 07:18 PM) *
I was reacting to this:

“I called all this out 2 years ago for the 25th anniversary of the Americans leaving GC, with was also the 20th anniversary of the Greenham Trust. There were events, but they were spun for the loony left.”

You are saying we should be commemorating the US forces leaving. Next you’ll want us commemorating the smelliest fart recorded in building 24.

You really are pretty stupid, aren't you..

I wasn't asking for a plaque because the American's left, I was asking for a plaque for the years the base was in operation.

As for the smelliest fart, we can smell your breath due to all the vile sh*t you spout.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 19 2019, 11:46 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 18 2019, 07:38 PM) *

Quickest and easiest, a simple photo engraved granite, not too big, but would certainly hold all necessary detail. Timpsons could do it as a standard job, around £200. Then someone would need to fit, but even four screws on an internal wall isn't going to tax anyone.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
15 User(s) are reading this topic (15 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:43 AM