Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Councillors reject ‘travellers’ site’ plans despite warnings
MoonPhoenix
post Nov 11 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 413

I get the impression this is a line of discussion that's impossible venture down honestly. Without Somebody offending somebody else. Or somebody taking exception just because they can.
It's a invisible minefield. And verbal verbal fuzzy wuzzys don't come natural.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 11 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Penelope @ Nov 11 2012, 10:42 AM) *
Now that's what I call a racist post, still I think I'll let it go.

What is racist about it?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 11 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (MoonPhoenix @ Nov 11 2012, 03:11 PM) *
I get the impression this is a line of discussion that's impossible venture down honestly. Without Somebody offending somebody else. Or somebody taking exception just because they can.
It's a invisible minefield. And verbal verbal fuzzy wuzzys don't come natural.

I'm sorry MoonPhoenix but the only one being "offended" on here is yourself by trotting out the "racist" suggestion when, in fact, nobody was being because we are not talking about races in this discussion.

+Quote Post
MoonPhoenix
post Nov 11 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 11 2012, 01:38 PM) *
I'm sorry MoonPhoenix but the only one being "offended" on here is yourself by trotting out the "racist" suggestion when, in fact, nobody was being because we are not talking about races in this discussion.

And thats my point.
It seems its not reasonable to reasonably expect what somebody else may perveice as offensive until they tell you.

While one person sees sees whittling clothes pegs as harmless fun. Another sees it no different to having an asian family move next door and saying how they're looking forward to their corner shop opening.
And while I see a certain brand of Traveller as more conservative and low key than another as a simple fact of life. Somebody else perceives it as playing whos the better Traveller.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 11 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think you're probably just a little bit up your own bottom to be honest.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 11 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MoonPhoenix @ Nov 11 2012, 05:04 PM) *
while I see a certain brand of Traveller as more conservative and low key than another as a simple fact of life. Somebody else perceives it as playing whos the better Traveller.

No, you said let me remind you "Personally, the only group I would really loath to live next door to are the New Agers"
And I perceived it as comparable with me saying for example that "I didn't want to live next door to Gypsys or "travellers""

One rule for one and one rule for the other??

+Quote Post
MoonPhoenix
post Nov 11 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

No,
When somebody of a particular demographic tells you that a comment directed as such is not appreciated. It's not calling the race card or anything else. It's educating you in the manner its perceived by somebody of said demographic.
If nobody ever stuck there head above the hedge to inform you. Then things would never move forward.

There is no arguing, or shifting of attention. You have to accept you are in the wrong. And that's your problem.
And as defined by law, as derogatory or discriminatory comment is one that is perceived as such by somebody of said demographic its aimed at.
So, you also have to right to define what is or not offensive on somebody elses behalf. That belongs to the receipents and nobody has any right to take that away from them.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 11 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MoonPhoenix @ Nov 11 2012, 06:20 PM) *
No,
When somebody of a particular demographic tells you that a comment directed as such is not appreciated. It's not calling the race card or anything else. It's educating you in the manner its perceived by somebody of said demographic.
If nobody ever stuck there head above the hedge to inform you. Then things would never move forward.

There is no arguing, or shifting of attention. You have to accept you are in the wrong. And that's your problem.
And as defined by law, as derogatory or discriminatory comment is one that is perceived as such by somebody of said demographic its aimed at.
So, you also have to right to define what is or not offensive on somebody elses behalf. That belongs to the receipents and nobody has any right to take that away from them.

I'm sorry I have difficulty in understanding your arguments so I will leave it there.
However I do not accept that I am wrong as you have not convinced me that I am.
I do not have a problem with that.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 11 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 11 2012, 03:34 PM) *
I think you're probably just a little bit up your own bottom to be honest.

lol
laugh.gif

We've been here before.
They are a gyspy in every sense. Except apparently this one cleans up after themselves and pays taxes and doesn't live in caravans!

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 11 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Gypsy is, I understand, an accepted 'ethnic' grouping. Traveller is a descriptor of a chosen lifestyle.

Many travellers seek to be classed gypsy as it brings certain protections under Law. Many are no more gypsy than I am Pope. The genuine gypsy people should distance themselves from those seeking to attach themselves purely for personal benefit.

Then we would know what issues we are trying to deal with, and the possible remedies - should it be deemed proper to have reliefs for all and any ethnic (etc) groups

+Quote Post
Jo Pepper
post Nov 11 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,652

If you would like to know more about the opression against travellers, you could look at what they did to us 'new age' travellers over the years. From thatcher to new labour, we've always been an easy target.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 11 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Many groups who choose to live outside 'established' social norms, yet benefit from the protections that society provides, find themselves thought badly of.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 12 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Certainly us 'normals' do very badly too. Taxes national and local keep rising, ore and more regulations we feel bound to follow, fines and texes just deducted from our meagre pay like it or not.....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:20 PM