IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remember, Remember the 5th of November....
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 2 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Or an excuse to buy the most obnoxiously loud fireworks and make life a misery for others.

I wished that organised firework displays were only allowed.

I have a bad feeling about Novemeber the 5th this year with the amount of out of control feral youths plaguing our streets tanked up on Stella.

Just ask the more residents of cars that were vandalised by the yobs on Friday night down by Strawberry hill.

I fully expect out of control fires and fireworks through peoples letter boxes. angry.gif angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Nov 2 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 2 2009, 04:53 PM) *

and then what happened? blink.gif

For once I agree with you but just wishing won't make it come true, if you mean only allowing organised firework displays? - doubt there's any political mileage in getting them banned in shops, though. You ever seen a child burnt by a firework? Not nice

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 2 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Or an excuse to buy the most obnoxiously loud fireworks and make life a misery for others.

I have a bad feeling about Novemeber the 5th this year with the amount of out of control feral youths plaguing our streets tanked up on Stella.

Just ask the more residents of cars that were vandalised by the yobs on Friday night down by Strawberry hill.

I fully expect out of control fires and fireworks through peoples letter boxes. angry.gif angry.gif

If only it was just the one night a year!

Now we have October 31st, most of November, New Year's Eve and whenever people are celebrating birthday, weddings etc.

So much money going up in smoke.
(OK so I'm feeling more grumpy tonight! tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 3 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

For years families have enjoyed the innocent fun of Firework night at private events largely without any problems although accidents have happened.
What is happening now is just another manifestation of ASB made possible by a weak and impotent justice system.
So again we are saying lets ban something that is enjoyed by many people because we as a society can't or won't control the yob element that has been dragged up over the past 20 years.
Isn't it about time we as a society put a break on the thugs and protected the innocent's human rights rather than the criminals.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 3 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 3 2009, 09:25 AM) *
For years families have enjoyed the innocent fun of Firework night at private events largely without any problems although accidents have happened.
What is happening now is just another manifestation of ASB made possible by a weak and impotent justice system.
So again we are saying lets ban something that is enjoyed by many people because we as a society can't or won't control the yob element that has been dragged up over the past 20 years.
Isn't it about time we as a society put a break on the thugs and protected the innocent's human rights rather than the criminals.

Hear Hear! - Applies to so much of what is wrong with society today.

(Presume you mean "brake on the thugs" 0r perhaps "break the thugs" either will do!! wink.gif )

How do we, the majority of people who think this way, go about doing something about it?

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Nov 3 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Funny thing memory , when I was a kid and the penny banger reigned supreme , great fun was had by one and all doing things that now would be classed as anti social .
The difference then was if we got caught tying a rocket to Mrs Jones cat we knew that a good hiding would ensue , so we proceeded at our peril .

Now of course we can't reprimand without finding ourselves in hot water , thus allowing the "fun" to become not so .

I think we all agree that the sale of fireworks to the general public has now reached a point where , in the interests of safety , they should be banned .

Public displays have all of the advantages with non of the disadvantages but getting this one on the statute books is not too likely .

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Nov 3 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Nov 3 2009, 05:36 PM) *
Funny thing memory , when I was a kid and the penny banger reigned supreme , great fun was had by one and all doing things that now would be classed as anti social .
The difference then was if we got caught tying a rocket to Mrs Jones cat we knew that a good hiding would ensue , so we proceeded at our peril .

Now of course we can't reprimand without finding ourselves in hot water , thus allowing the "fun" to become not so .

I think we all agree that the sale of fireworks to the general public has now reached a point where , in the interests of safety , they should be banned .

Public displays have all of the advantages with non of the disadvantages but getting this one on the statute books is not too likely .

rolleyes.gif

Oddly enough, although I had an uncle who actually worked in a fireworks factory and thus we always had a plentiful supply on Bonfire Night, I was never than keen on them especially after I saw another child burnt by one of the blessed things. Now, however, I marvel at some of the big professional displays and am convinced this is the way forward. I'm afraid, however, that getting the sale of them banned to the general public comes in the 'too difficult' category and won't happen.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 4 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 3 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Hear Hear! - Applies to so much of what is wrong with society today.

(Presume you mean "brake on the thugs" 0r perhaps "break the thugs" either will do!! wink.gif )

How do we, the majority of people who think this way, go about doing something about it?

Well, I am writing to Richard Benyon whenever I feel that I am not being represented or penalized against and I am frequently writing to him concerning, in my opinion, the lack of an effective system of law.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 4 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I think we would only agree this because the law has failed to control those yobs that have abused this time honoured tradition of being able to celibrate in our own back garden.
Another erosion of the liberties of the ordinary bloke.
We seem to be forever backing away from dealing with ASB and capitulating with to yob element.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Nov 4 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 4 2009, 08:54 AM) *
Well, I am writing to Richard Benyon whenever I feel that I am not being represented or penalized against and I am frequently writing to him concerning, in my opinion, the lack of an effective system of law.

At least it gets it off your chest and lets him know the view of some of his constituents. Not too often, I suggest, otherwise he may have you down as Dagenham

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 4 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Nov 4 2009, 11:40 AM) *
At least it gets it off your chest and lets him know the view of some of his constituents. Not too often, I suggest, otherwise he may have you down as Dagenham

OK, I give in. What's "Dagenham"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 4 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 4 2009, 11:48 AM) *
OK, I give in. What's "Dagenham"

Barking

Dagenham Adj. Totally insane, crazy. Because on the London underground/rail transport system Dagenham (Heathway) station is 3 stops beyond Barking station. Barking is slang for crazy. See 'barking'.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 4 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 4 2009, 12:11 PM) *
Barking?

Uhmmm OK.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 4 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

still didn't stop you though?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:29 PM