Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exited men...
massifheed
post Jul 11 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,215

What are they? Whatever they are, there's thousnads of them...

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/follow-...-berkshire-here

(I'm guessing it gets changed soon)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 11 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jul 11 2012, 11:56 AM) *
What are they? Whatever they are, there's thousnads of them...

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/follow-...-berkshire-here

(I'm guessing it gets changed soon)

Gah! They've fixed it. That's no fun at all!

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 11 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

You know, another forum I use issues suspensions followed by bans if you post to only point out/correct a spelling mistake.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 11 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 11 2012, 07:55 PM) *
You know, another forum I use issues suspensions followed by bans if you post to only point out/correct a spelling mistake.

In this particular case it's probably called "proof reading a public document", and is helpful rather than nit-picking.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 11 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Hmm, I'd say it is nit picking - Because barely a week goes by before someone ****** about another typo by ye olde press.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 11 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Hard work Timbo. I certainly agree, Some weeks ago I went to the Old Vic to see a Jacobean trageddy that I had once studied.
Bu+++r me I got the wrong won. I did the Winters tayll not the Not the Duchess of Malvinas.
I will always make fun of myself. It is a part of being extremely shy.
ce

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 11 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 11 2012, 08:07 PM) *
Hmm, I'd say it is nit picking - Because barely a week goes by before someone ****** about another typo by ye olde press.

I think the media has a duty to be accurate with both facts and spelling. They would be first to write about falling education standards!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 12 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 11 2012, 07:55 PM) *

I guess it's a forum full of people who can't spell, and don't like having it pointed out to them then.

I don't generally mention other forum user's spelling mistakes (I make enough myself), but when it's a NWN/newburytoday article I certainly tend to. You see, if I was being paid to write and prepare articles for publication, I would make **** sure that every word was spelt correctly. In the case of the online article I linked to it was the main article on the site's front page, yet the first word of the article (after the title) was spelt incorrectly. There were two mistakes in the first sentence.

Assuming the writer is using a word processing package from the last ten years most spelling mistakes would be picked up (but not correct words used incorrectly). So that says to me that, not only was the article either not or badly proof-read, but that - assuming a spell-checker was used - it was ignored.

It's all about taking pride in your work, as opposed to having an "It'll do" attitude.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

You know, mistakes are sometimes made. I've spotted the odd typo on fliers for large corporations, that have been published and distributed! Not excusing it but yes, it does happen.

Maybe with your level of dedication and pride, you should consider a career in the publication industry! Perhaps as a journalist..

Also FWIW, the other forum in question is pretty much a very literate forum. It's just that complaining about spelling doesn't do anything to create a nice, positive forum environment, something which anyone who uses this forum wouldn't understand.

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Jul 11 2012, 11:59 PM) *
I think the media has a duty to be accurate with both facts and spelling. They would be first to write about falling education standards!

Surely if accuracy of the news reported was important to you, you wouldn't read anything from the media who constantly lie and create mis-truths for the simple purpose of SELLING PAPERS.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 12 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 09:45 AM) *
Maybe with your level of dedication and pride, you should consider a career in the publication industry! Perhaps as a journalist..

It sounds to me like you consider dedication and pride a strange thing to find in the workplace. Maybe that's how you go about your job, but don't assume that everyone is like that.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 09:15 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Worse than making sweeping judgements is probably making assumption.
Where I work we have a guarantee on the solution we put in place - if we make a mistake we rectify it at our cost.

But even so we may make the odd spelling mistake.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 12 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:15 AM) *
Worse than making sweeping judgements is probably making assumption.

What?

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:15 AM) *
But even so we may make the odd spelling mistake.

Quite possibly. But I guess if you're preparing a proposal to present to a client you'd make sure that it was error-free. It wouldn't create a very good impression otherwise, would it?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Which is why we have about 6 layers of verification. Appreciate the concern but I think we got it covered. wink.gif
Although clients wouldn't make a point of going "OHH LOOK YOU MADE A SPELLING MISTAKE HAR HAR DE HAR DHAEFEHGEJLGJELHGEJL". They simply wouldn't buy our products.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 12 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:31 AM) *
Which is why we have about 6 layers of verification. Appreciate the concern but I think we got it covered. wink.gif

You have six layers of verification, but you admit that you may still make the odd spelling mistake? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Just like the email may contain the Ebola virus.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jul 12 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:37 AM) *
Just like the email may contain the Ebola virus.

We're done, are we? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Well, I took it you wanted a 5 minute argument, not the full half hour.
What I'm saying is how empty people's lives must be if all they can do is critique spelling made by people on the internet.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 12 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:46 AM) *
What I'm saying is how empty people's lives must be if all they can do is critique spelling made by people on the internet.

I thought it was about the quality of presentation in a local publication and publications in general, together with some people's standard of spelling & grammar these days?
Like it or not the latter is important in today's competitive world.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 12 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I agree Biker.
But the thing is, when you are tendering for a £750,000 deal, yes - it's important.
Posting on a forum, for example, who really cares if you make a mistake in typing. There are a small proportion of the web using world who find great pleasure, presumably because they have no friends, picking up on spelling mistakes made by either the NWN or people on the forum.

I used to teach English and I'm sure I make the odd mistake while typing around, one that I won't notice until I read through the document or post or whatever, maybe an hour later, maybe a week later!

If people were REALLY bothered about the typo, what they could do is email or call the writer of the article and just alert them to it. Posting up on a forum which not every member of the NWN reads, perhaps for days at a time, does not resolve the problem except scream of wanting attention for noticing it to begin with, or to give themselves a smug little feeling.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jul 12 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 12 2012, 10:31 AM) *
Although clients wouldn't make a point of going "OHH LOOK YOU MADE A SPELLING MISTAKE HAR HAR DE HAR DHAEFEHGEJLGJELHGEJL". They simply wouldn't buy our products.

I'm sorry Timbo, (this is just one example of the many I see here).

Why are pronouns missed out on a regular basis?

There is one individual on this forum who does it consistently. sad.gif

http://genkienglish.net/pronouns.htm

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:18 AM