Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zebra Crossings.
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Guests

Is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing when someone is waiting to use it (and clearly pointing out to the approaching driver that it is there)?

Also is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing if someone is already using it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing when someone is waiting to use it (and clearly pointing out to the approaching driver that it is there)? Also is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing if someone is already using it?

Depends it they are driving a BMW or not.

Presumably Bill1, this has happened to you? I get this quite a lot as well. It is even worse when you see that the person is on a moby trying to find the place they are looking for, i.e. not paying attention.

Having said that, I do look out for this sort of thing, so I haven't been hit yet!

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 1 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing when someone is waiting to use it (and clearly pointing out to the approaching driver that it is there)?

Also is it illegal to drive over a zebra crossing if someone is already using it?

Vehicles do not have to stop until a pedestrian has started crossing. The onus is on the pedestrian to only start to cross if clear or traffic has stopped for them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 1 2009, 07:17 PM) *
Vehicles do not have to stop until a pedestrian has started crossing. The onus is on the pedestrian to only start to cross if clear or traffic has stopped for them.

I concur with that. According to the High way code:

MOTORISTS – When a pedestrian has stepped onto the crossing, you must stop.

PEDESTRIANS – Make your intention clear, but ensure the traffic has stopped before you proceed.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 1 2009, 07:17 PM) *
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2009, 07:23 PM) *
PEDESTRIANS – Make your intention clear, but ensure the traffic has stopped before you proceed.

That's right, having the moral high ground doesn't make one immune from injury!

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 1 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 1 2009, 07:23 PM) *
I concur with that. According to the High way code:

MOTORISTS – When a pedestrian has stepped onto the crossing, you must stop.

This is what my online version of the Highway Code says to drivers:

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing:

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

That wrong in Newbury, then?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 1 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Oops - sorry, posted twice in error

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Guests

Hmm interesting.

So the "gentleman" who drove his top down convertible over whilst i was waiting and pointing and shouting "Zebra Crossing" wasn't breaking the law, but the woman who was coming the other way, had seen what happened, but carried on regardless, despite the fact that I was now on the crossing, to the complete bewilderment of the lady in the car behind her, did break the law.

I obviously stopped as I didn't feel like being run over today funnily enough and made a shrugging gesture, she, a "lady" in her 30's I'd guess, made a mocking gesture at me and sped off. The second lady of course stopped and I made a thanks gesture and she smiled back whilst shaking her head in disbelief.

This was leaving Sainsburys at the crossing by the petrol station by the way.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 1 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 07:35 PM) *
This was leaving Sainsburys by the at the crossing by the petrol station by the way.

In that case, as it's on private land, there is no crossing, it is just white paint on the road signifying a preferred crossing point.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 1 2009, 07:58 PM) *
In that case, as it's on private land, there is no crossing, it is just white paint on the road signifying a preferred crossing point.

Hectors Way is a private road?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 1 2009, 07:58 PM) *

I did mention this somewhere else on here. Sainsbury's is on private land and therefor the same rules don't apply as they do on normal road.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #12

Guests

Well what if the woman had run me over?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 1 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 07:59 PM) *

The section from the lights in Kings Rd to the roundabout is public, but as soon as you turn in towards Sainsbury's, it privately owned.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Guests

I see.

Well I've always treated it as a normal crossing and I repeat what if she'd run me over, would she have been guilty of committing any offense at all?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 1 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 07:59 PM) *

Fear not, Bill, as I have posted on before here, in the opinion of old Leslie James, onetime barrister, on private land your next of kin would have been able to sue for the same amount payable had your demise occurred on a public highway, which I suspect the whole shebang ceases to become once you head west from the roundabout leading to SCATS...

Scary though, innit?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 1 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #16

Guests

I find this extremely disturbing.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 1 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:18 PM) *
I find this extremely disturbing.

So did I when, one sunny afternoon in the late 70s, he let drop this gem during an otherwise pretty dull session. Mind you, he could have been wrong but, on another tack, consider how likely the TVP would be to be ar$ed to investigate say, a complaint you made regarding a near miss on a pedestrian crossing on what amounts to private land?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 1 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

As far as I know if an accident happens on private land then it must be dealt through the courts.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 1 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I found this posted which sounds plausible, the jist, I would say, is that it depends on the type of accident.

The U.K. laws make a distinction between a public highway and a "public place."

If it is private land to which the general public has no access, then it is neither a public highway nor a public place and NONE of the road traffic laws apply. It is quite legal to drive with no tax, no MoT, no insurance, no number plates, under age, etc.

The situation is slightly more complex when it comes to private land to which the public has access, either given explicitly or by implication, such as a supermarket parking lot.

Laws which apply only to the public highway are not enforceable on such privately-owned but publicly accessible land, e.g. it is legal to drive with no road tax, speed limits are not enforceable directly by criminal sanction, you cannot be ticketed for no seat belt, etc.

However certain specific laws apply to any "public place," even if it is private land, e.g. a person can be charged with drunken driving.

I suspect one would have two courses of action to take, one is to sue the person you believe is the cause of the accident and the other would be to sue the supermarket for not keeping their area safe for you to go about your business. When one sues for damages, I would imagine road signs and signalling would be used as evidence of blame.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 1 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 1 2009, 09:05 PM) *
The U.K. laws make a distinction between a public highway and a "public place."

If it is private land to which the general public has no access, then it is neither a public highway nor a public place and NONE of the road traffic laws apply. It is quite legal to drive with no tax, no MoT, no insurance, no number plates, under age, etc.

None? Really? Death by dangerous driving? Aggravated Vehicle Taking? Surely this can't be correct?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:45 AM