> Sovereign Housing 'forcing' woman to live in damp
Andy
post Aug 20 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 20 2009, 01:28 PM) *
So how did a 17-year old get a housing association property?

Maybe she was the victim of abuse or some other such circumstasnce, but I doubt we'd ever find out and from my own personal point of view I wouldn't be interested as I'm sure Soveriegn probably did their homework before allocating the property anyway.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 20 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 20 2009, 12:43 PM) *
What, like she has you mean.
Yours is exactly the response she is looking for and probably why she allowed herself to get pregnant.
This sort of sponging off of the tax paying society has to be stopped.

But your'e right, the child needs to be considered and I would hope Social Services will be keeping an eye on this situation.

There is nothing to suggest that she is 'sponging' off the taxpayer. She's had the house for 2 years & is only 18 weeks pregnant.

Given the ludicrous prices of houses in this country shared ownership, renting is the only way many people can get on the housing ladder. There is nothing to suggest she's living there rent free. She's stated as having spent several hundreds of pounds on furniture. She could be working & have paid for it all her self.

Such predjudice - you should be ashamed.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 20 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 20 2009, 10:05 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10826

I am sorry but I personally don't have any sympathy. Perhaps she might have thought about the consequences of getting herself knocked up at such a young age and then expecting a lovely 'free' house to live in at my and others tax payers expense.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking us to debate. Is it the damp house and Sovereign, as in the topic title and link, or the fact that she is pregnant and has a Sovereign home, as in your post?.

+Quote Post
graham
post Aug 20 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80

[quote name='Darren' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:47 PM' post='6305']
From story

Looking at the photo it would appear the it windows are uPVC with locks. Therefore they can be opened and locked in that state:

I have to agree she hasnt worked put nothing back into the community and moaning about a free house.Im affraid it this little girls think its fashionable to do this sort of thing i bet she smokes got a mobile phone and all of the state looks like no father around so she`s leaving it up to someone else to fund her problems! she wont have a care in the world as long as its falling in her lap

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 20 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

And another one! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 20 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It seems to me that she has exhaused her other avenues for help before getting the media involved. It is also abvious that if her MP and Sovereign housing have also both agreed that there is a problem in the property. The reasons for why she is there are unknown, and how much she pay is too. She might work and pay as much any other council tennant, and regardless of how much this is, Sovereign should not be supplying "dangerous" housing. I would see her as a paying customer not getting what she has paid for and therefore justified in complaining.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 20 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (graham @ Aug 20 2009, 03:26 PM) *
I have to agree she hasnt worked put nothing back into the community and moaning about a free house.Im affraid it this little girls think its fashionable to do this sort of thing i bet she smokes got a mobile phone and all of the state looks like no father around so she`s leaving it up to someone else to fund her problems! she wont have a care in the world as long as its falling in her lap

Am I missing something here, where in the report does it say all that, and what has it got to do with the fact that her house is damp and Sovereign have been dragging their heels?. It seems to me some people are far too quick to exercise their prejudices rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
graham
post Aug 20 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 20 2009, 04:44 PM) *
It seems to me that she has exhaused her other avenues for help before getting the media involved. It is also abvious that if her MP and Sovereign housing have also both agreed that there is a problem in the property. The reasons for why she is there are unknown, and how much she pay is too. She might work and pay as much any other council tennant, and regardless of how much this is, Sovereign should not be supplying "dangerous" housing. I would see her as a paying customer not getting what she has paid for and therefore justified in complaining.

I see what your saying but i know sovereign housing spend alot of money on maintence and it mailnly because the tennants dont look after there homes and the tax payer ends up paying for it. I think if tennants wreck there homes they should be de-ducted money from there benefits

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 20 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

The article does say that Soverign had sent a contractor round, but she wasn't there. It doesn't say whether it was by appointment (but i suspect it was) so Soverign are not doing nothing.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 20 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 20 2009, 05:09 PM) *
The article does say that Soverign had sent a contractor round, but she wasn't there. It doesn't say whether it was by appointment (but i suspect it was) so Soverign are not doing nothing.

No one said Soveriegn were doing nothing, just not enough to resolve the problem.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 20 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 20 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Such predjudice - you should be ashamed.

I wondered how long it would take for the 'P' word to be banded about.
Am I Predjudiced against single girls in their teenage years with no stable relationship firing out kids so that they can claim benefits and get a house? Yes I am. I know a lot of other people that are as well.

Does that make me a bad person. I personally don't think so but as we live in a democratic society with free speech I can say as I please.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 20 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 20 2009, 05:19 PM) *
I wondered how long it would take for the 'P' word to be banded about.
Am I Predjudiced against single girls in their teenage years with no stable relationship firing out kids so that they can claim benefits and get a house? Yes I am. I know a lot of other people that are as well.

Does that make me a bad person. I personally don't think so but as we live in a democratic society with free speech I can say as I please.

That's fine and I agree with you, but this story is not about that, and not only have you chosen to make assumptions about this one case, your assumptions are totally unreasonable and against what the story actually says.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 20 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 20 2009, 05:09 PM) *

She claims to have sent numerous letters which included to an MP. From my experience in the past, Sovereign agents often turn-up without warning and without ID. A friend is a tenant (who works) and of three visits recently, all have been out of the blue.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 20 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

How is she qualified to judge that the damp that is affecting her health?

If it she had said her doctor had told her that would be a different matter, but she didn't, it's just her view.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 20 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 20 2009, 06:01 PM) *

Yes, most damp is quite harmless. tongue.gif

It sounds like an egged up story, but I would have thought SHA would have sounded more convincing. Damp in a modern house seems strange.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 20 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 20 2009, 12:17 PM) *
She read the 'news' about the woman & her 20p parking underpayment.

You are presuming a lot here; she might not be able to read.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 20 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 20 2009, 01:28 PM) *
So how did a 17-year old get a housing association property?

I would imagine that she was homeless and that is why should got a place.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 20 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 20 2009, 06:01 PM) *

If it she had said her doctor had told her that would be a different matter, but she didn't, it's just her view.

If you don't mind me saying User but that was a stupid question. There are a enough programmes on TV about damp and babies and the trouble it could course. With that knowledge she probably went to the doctors to check; which was a wise precaution. I am not a doctor but even I knew that.

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Aug 20 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

Folk also might like to take into consideration the fact that stress causes a person to feel very unwell and tense. She may have suffered headaches or backache as a result. Not to mention the fact that she may be suffering as a result of the effects of pregnancy.

We really can't comment on her health claims because we are not her GP.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 20 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Aug 20 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Folk also might like to take into consideration the fact that stress causes a person to feel very unwell and tense. She may have suffered headaches or backache as a result. Not to mention the fact that she may be suffering as a result of the effects of pregnancy.

We really can't comment on her health claims because we are not her GP.

Yes, but if we were her GP we'd know the answers... which would kill this topic stone dead. So you should be saying 'thank god we are not her GP's or that we don't know the full facts otherwise we wouldn't have anything to moan about.' laugh.gif wink.gif

Glad to help CBW wink.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:26 AM