> NWN: bus hits kid.
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 988

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 03:10 PM) *
The incident happened between someone crossing the road who it seems wasn't looking where they were going and a bus. The pedestrian walked off unharmed but someone on the bus had to be treated for injuries when the bus took evasive action. In my view it's not the buses that need to take more care but the pedestrians.

People who walk on a designated area - and free to do so by the council - will always be in the right. Buses who encroach that designated area must always do so with care and consideration. Children also use that area and do not always think. Again it is the buses responsibility to drive with care and consideration. The bus driver should have been aware of what was in front of him, beside him and at the back of him (he has mirrors to help). As the law dictates.

I thought WBC are changing Northbrook Street to a pedestrian only road in October to coincide with the opening of Parkway.

My understanding of it is that it was not always that way. Councillors on the council realised that vehicles and people do not mix easily and took a decision to change Northbrook street at the same time that Parkway shopping centre opened.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 9 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 05:35 PM) *
People who walk on a designated area - and free to do so by the council - will always be in the right. Buses who encroach that designated area must always do so with care and consideration. Children also use that area and do not always think. Again it is the buses responsibility to drive with care and consideration. The bus driver should have been aware of what was in front of him, beside him and at the back of him (he has mirrors to help). As the law dictates.
I would guess the driver was aware of what was happening as the pedestrian walked away from the incident thanks to the driver's actions.

People who walk out in front of buses as seems to have happened in this case are not "in the right" and remember, it's not a pedestrianised area, it's an area restricted to certain types of traffic.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 9 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 05:57 PM) *
I would guess the driver was aware of what was happening as the pedestrian walked away from the incident thanks to the driver's actions.

People who walk out in front of buses as seems to have happened in this case are not "in the right" and remember, it's not a pedestrianised area, it's an area restricted to certain types of traffic.

laugh.gif Like a Royal photographer of restricted growth! 'PC' applied to geography - love it!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 05:57 PM) *

But an ambulance was called. Was it thanks to the bus driver or the pedestrian noticing something at the last minute and avoided a more serious accident?

It is a pedestrian area and it was made so by the council. If it is not then the council should stop the public using it as a pedestrian area. Talk to any police officer who is on the beat in Northbrook street and they will tell you they have as much right of way as do the buses and it is the buses who should be aware of their responsibility when conversing with the public in such a manner.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 9 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 06:47 PM) *
But an ambulance was called. Was it thanks to the bus driver or the pedestrian noticing something at the last minute and avoided a more serious accident?

It is a pedestrian area and it was made so by the council. If it is not then the council should stop the public using it as a pedestrian area. Talk to any police officer who is on the beat in Northbrook street and they will tell you they have as much right of way as do the buses and it is the buses who should be aware of their responsibility when conversing with the public in such a manner.
An ambulance attended and aided the people on the bus who were hurt. The pedestrian shouldn't have noticed the bus a the last minute, if they did as seems to have happened then they're clearly in the wrong.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 06:56 PM) *
An ambulance attended and aided the people on the bus who were hurt. The pedestrian shouldn't have noticed the bus a the last minute, if they did as seems to have happened then they're clearly in the wrong.

How do you work that out? If they noticed the bus at the last moment does not make them guilty.

The council and police allow pedestrians to walk amongst the allowed vehicles. Because the bus is bigger and more dangerous then the bus driver should have taken more care, been more aware of unexpected situations. My boyfriend was driving his car in a non-designated pedestrian area when somebody walked out in front of him and his quick reflexes saved the day. He was aware of his responsibilities when driving such a dangerous vehicle. It says in the Highway code that one must always be alert all the time. The Bus driver was aware that he was driving in a designated pedestrian area and should have taken even more care. Whatever the pedestrian did or did not do the onus was on the bus driver.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 9 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

The bus was pulling into the bus stop, so speed was not an issue in this incident. Cars, buses and pedestrians will mingle before 10.00am and after 5.00pm when Parkway opens, just as they do now. If a pedestrian cannot see a large, noisy bus, why do we think he will see a small, quiet car?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 9 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 07:48 PM) *
How do you work that out? If they noticed the bus at the last moment does not make them guilty.

The council and police allow pedestrians to walk amongst the allowed vehicles.
If the bus had time to get out of the way of the pedestrian surely the pedestrian had time to get out of the way of the bus? If they had done so perhaps they could have prevented the injuries sustained by those on the bus.

The "council and police" allow pedestrians to walk amongst the vehicles 24 hours a day on Northbrook Street and indeed most roads in the area. As I said previously, stopping people crossing the road seems a drastic measure.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 9 2011, 07:59 PM) *
The bus was pulling into the bus stop, so speed was not an issue in this incident. Cars, buses and pedestrians will mingle before 10.00am and after 5.00pm when Parkway opens, just as they do now. If a pedestrian cannot see a large, noisy bus, why do we think he will see a small, quiet car?

One of the problems here is psychological. If you are on a normal road your senses warn you of the dangers, however, in the case of a pedestrian orientated road - where everybody walks where or how they want - people thus will feel more relaxed and carefree in such circumstances. The pedestrian that was hit went with the flow and psychologically thought it was safe. That is why I said you can not mix pedestrians and vehicles together. It is an accident that was going to happen. This is not just my view, but others who are more familiar with such events.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 08:11 PM) *
If the bus had time to get out of the way of the pedestrian surely the pedestrian had time to get out of the way of the bus? If they had done so perhaps they could have prevented the injuries sustained by those on the bus.

The two do not necessarily go together. Also and as I said in my previous post. Your guard drops when you think you are in a designated pedestrian area. If Northbrook street was a vehicle right of way only then the pedestrian probably would have took more care. A psychological factor is in play here.

The "council and police" allow pedestrians to walk amongst the vehicles 24 hours a day on Northbrook Street and indeed most roads in the area. As I said previously, stopping people crossing the road seems a drastic measure.

That is not what I said. Northbrook Street between the hours of 10 and 6 is a pedestrian right of way and all vehicles are banned between these hours, apart from emergency vehicles and buses. So it is understandable people will walk across the road without fear of an approaching vehicle.

+Quote Post
gizmo
post Jul 9 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 200

The link below is of the news report on the day this accident happened:

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17151

I noticed that in this report the accident happened at 1 in the afternoon on a Thursday, and the Pedestrian was a 15 year old boy. I also noticed that this was the day the Teachers were on Strike.

Had the Teachers (who have 14 weeks of school holidays per year) been at work, doing a job that they are well paid for, and a in a profession that they hopefully chose for the welfare and education of our future generations, then the 15 year old pedestrian should have been attending one of our great educational establishments.

Also it doesn't matter if they are in a pedestrianised zone or on the main through roads in town, the secondary school pupils I have seen have no road sense at all, they frequently cross the road at the junction of St Michaels Road and Bartholomew Street without even looking to see if any vehicles are around. Maybe in the pedestianised zone they have become too complacent, so they pay even less attention is to what is around them.

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Jul 9 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 09:15 PM) *
That is why I said you can not mix pedestrians and vehicles together. It is an accident that was going to happen.

Let's pretend that this H and S nonsense is valid. Since you say pedestrians and buses can't mix, and since the Ambulance was called to deal with those ON the bus, your logic dictates that we stop people getting on buses in case they get hurt. You're right, it's just accidents waiting to happen.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 10 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 09:21 PM) *
That is not what I said. Northbrook Street between the hours of 10 and 6 is a pedestrian right of way and all vehicles are banned between these hours, apart from emergency vehicles and buses. So it is understandable people will walk across the road without fear of an approaching vehicle.
1) Traffic is restricted between 9am and 5pm
2) Pedestrians do not have right of way
3) Some service providers, taxis and other vehicles have access are also allowed to use Northbrook Street

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 10 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 10 2011, 09:10 AM) *

Can you enlighten us as to where this is documented please as this is an important issue.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 10 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ Jul 10 2011, 12:12 AM) *
Let's pretend that this H and S nonsense is valid. Since you say pedestrians and buses can't mix, and since the Ambulance was called to deal with those ON the bus, your logic dictates that we stop people getting on buses in case they get hurt. You're right, it's just accidents waiting to happen.

That is not what I said, that is your interpretation of what I said. Pedestrians and buses cannot mix; i.e. using the road. People get on buses at the prescribed place; i.e. bus stop.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 10 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

1) Traffic is restricted between 9am and 5pm
3) Some service providers, taxis and other vehicles have access are also allowed to use Northbrook Street

If pedestrians do not have the right of way then why do not the police do something when they walk all over the place? Pedestrians do have the right of way and I have seen nothing to say otherwise.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 10 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 10 2011, 09:26 AM) *
Can you enlighten us as to where this is documented please as this is an important issue.
Thanks.

It is not documented. And if it was then the police are not enforcing it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 10 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I understand that priority goes to the first user of the road (except motorways).

We signed an unratified convention that details: As a general rule, drivers are expected to avoid a collision with another vehicle and pedestrians, regardless of whether or not the applicable rules of the road allow them to be where they happen to be.

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 10 2011, 09:46 AM) *
If pedestrians do not have the right of way then why do not the police do something when they walk all over the place? Pedestrians do have the right of way and I have seen nothing to say otherwise.

Good point; Jay walking, but it is not legally enforceable.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 10 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 10 2011, 09:49 AM) *
Good point; Jay walking, but it is not legally enforceable.

It may not be "legally enforceable" but if the pedestrians were in the wrong the police would act, they do not because the pedestrians have a legal right of way on Northbrook Street between the hours of 9 and 5 or 6.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 10 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 10 2011, 09:57 AM) *
It may not be "legally enforceable" but if the pedestrians were in the wrong the police would act, they do not because the pedestrians have a legal right of way on Northbrook Street between the hours of 9 and 5 or 6.

I don't think the police have the resources to focus on something that cannot utilise their 'power' in society.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:45 AM