IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any point in voting anymore?, If you live in a safe Tory or Labour seat and referendums are ignored?
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Think not.

Perhaps this will least herald a PV voting system. As the current one does not work. Just a thought...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 11 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 11 2019, 07:25 PM) *
Think not.

Perhaps this will least herald a PV voting system. As the current one does not work. Just a thought...

We don't operate on referendums though to be fair. Ironically if the Brexit one had been legally binding it would have been overturned by the electoral commission. But as it isn't were stuck with it. Which I guess kind of ties in with what you're saying. I wasn't a fan of PR voting before but actually if we all felt represented there wouldn't be so much discourse.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 11 2019, 08:44 PM) *
We don't operate on referendums though to be fair. Ironically if the Brexit one had been legally binding it would have been overturned by the electoral commission. But as it isn't were stuck with it. Which I guess kind of ties in with what you're saying. I wasn't a fan of PR voting before but actually if we all felt represented there wouldn't be so much discourse.

And another thing. Let's just "say" Labour under JC wins the next GE. BUT... Carney and all the economists come out and say that it would be a total disaster and result in X Million unemployed and living standards akin to Venezuela? Do we accept that for 5 years or demand another vote before he even takes charge? (once the populous has been edcuated that if all the wealthy folk leave the UK no tax will be available to pay for there SKY, fags and Stella). I mean the people voting for JC would be "thick" and uneducated. Can of worms this. That's why I'm now for PR.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 11 2019, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 11 2019, 08:55 PM) *
And another thing. Let's just "say" Labour under JC wins the next GE. BUT... Carney and all the economists come out and say that it would be a total disaster and result in X Million unemployed and living standards akin to Venezuela? Do we accept that for 5 years or demand another vote before he even takes charge? (once the populous has been edcuated that if all the wealthy folk leave the UK no tax will be available to pay for there SKY, fags and Stella). I mean the people voting for JC would be "thick" and uneducated. Can of worms this. That's why I'm now for PR.

I think PR makes the most sense, with it we would have ended up with ukip MP's.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 11 2019, 09:15 PM) *

And if would at least give anyone who still wants to vote a chance to actuaĺly register one that means something. I may have even voted for Lord Buckethead if he wasn't a remainer...🤣

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 11 2019, 09:15 PM) *

Oh and "none of the above" should be the last entry on all voting slips now. If that wins. Another vote

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 11 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 11 2019, 09:25 PM) *
Oh and "none of the above" should be the last entry on all voting slips now. If that wins. Another vote

I said at the outset the referendum was a waste of time and money, there was never, ever any intention of letting the UK leave.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 10:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 11 2019, 09:31 PM) *
I said at the outset the referendum was a waste of time and money, there was never, ever any intention of letting the UK leave.

Guess we all need to "protest". Just don't wear a yellow vest. I'm thinking blood red?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 11 2019, 10:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 11 2019, 10:20 PM) *
Guess we all need to "protest". Just don't wear a yellow vest. I'm thinking blood red?

There's no point, won't change anything.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Mar 11 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 11 2019, 10:31 PM) *
There's no point, won't change anything.

We could storm parliament like femi and co. 🤣Though if you really wake the quiet voting public all he'll would break loose....

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Mar 12 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I've been in favour of proportional representation since I've been able to vote since both the constituencies that I have lived in (North West Hampshire and Newbury) have been ultra safe Conservative constituencies in the period that I have lived in the respective constituencies and therefore my vote has never counted for anything. The botched alternative vote (AV) referendum definitely hasn't helped matters because it resulted in a substantial majority for the status quo and therefore changes to voting methods now probably won't get revisited for another generation at least in my opinion.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:04 AM