Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Victoria Park
Guest_Nelly_*
post Dec 16 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Guests

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=11912

Call me silly but shouldn't this sort of thing already been considered for when the orginal planning application went it? What would happen to the rubbish/recycling if the park was not there??

How long do you think it would take before Victoria Park became a fly tippers heaven??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 16 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Nelly @ Dec 16 2009, 12:32 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=11912

Call me silly but shouldn't this sort of thing already been considered for when the orginal planning application went it? What would happen to the rubbish/recycling if the park was not there??

How long do you think it would take before Victoria Park became a fly tippers heaven??

It is a temporary thing.
A bit like the bit of the park that was dug up for drainage works. You'd never know that had happened.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 18 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Trouble is that it is temporary as long as Parkway is being built. I believe that this should have been planned for from the beginning. All this cr*p about increasing the recycling of their development leaves me cold. I think, but I'm not sure, that there is already a government led building waste recycling requirement in place. I reckon they should be told to get on with the space they have already been given and not turn anything else into a building site, especially the park.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 18 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 16 2009, 06:30 PM) *
It is a temporary thing.
A bit like the bit of the park that was dug up for drainage works. You'd never know that had happened.

I am more worrid that it could be like the temporary car park in Northcroft/Goldwell Park - still there decades on.

+Quote Post
Buzz
post Dec 19 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 551

Hi guys
I have been watching this section of the forum for a couple of weeks now and it frustrates me that the worst ideas for a park are discussed at length such as a massive horrible building/TV which should not be welcome in a PARK or an oversized bin for stupid developers who don't take into account their waste before beginning a project. I do agree with the majority of posters that these are ridiculous abominations to put in one of the only green areas left in newbury.
However what about the abomination we already have in the park. I'm talking about the skatepark. I am myself a skateboarder and so I do believe that a facility is necessary in a public place but come on, look at it! it's sinking into the tarmac causing danger to the users. Not only that, it has rotten wood under-layers and CABLE TIES that miraculously hold it together, but for how long? I would wager some major money to there being an accident there through no fault of the user sooner than might be expected.
Not only is it a poor quality facility but it is used far more often by people than the other things the park has to offer. I go there EVERY day without fail in the summer (although I really don't know why, it's a disgrace) along with plenty of others who are often silent in these matters of discussion due to age or because of concentration on actually USING THE FACILITY.
The skatepark we currently have in Victoria Park is an embarrassment. We need a beautiful concrete creation hidden away nicely by some grass banks instead of the rusty death trap which reminds me far too much of the horrible orange ornament adorning the robin hood roundabout.
I look forward to hearing some discussion
thankyou for reading.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 19 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Buzz @ Dec 19 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Hi guys
I have been watching this section of the forum for a couple of weeks now and it frustrates me that the worst ideas for a park are discussed at length such as a massive horrible building/TV which should not be welcome in a PARK or an oversized bin for stupid developers who don't take into account their waste before beginning a project. I do agree with the majority of posters that these are ridiculous abominations to put in one of the only green areas left in newbury.
However what about the abomination we already have in the park. I'm talking about the skatepark. I am myself a skateboarder and so I do believe that a facility is necessary in a public place but come on, look at it! it's sinking into the tarmac causing danger to the users. Not only that, it has rotten wood under-layers and CABLE TIES that miraculously hold it together, but for how long? I would wager some major money to there being an accident there through no fault of the user sooner than might be expected.
Not only is it a poor quality facility but it is used far more often by people than the other things the park has to offer. I go there EVERY day without fail in the summer (although I really don't know why, it's a disgrace) along with plenty of others who are often silent in these matters of discussion due to age or because of concentration on actually USING THE FACILITY.
The skatepark we currently have in Victoria Park is an embarrassment. We need a beautiful concrete creation hidden away nicely by some grass banks instead of the rusty death trap which reminds me far too much of the horrible orange ornament adorning the robin hood roundabout.
I look forward to hearing some discussion
thankyou for reading.

This should come under West Berks Council Public Health (Health & Safety). They inspect businesses to ensure they are safe. The Council is classed as a business and therefore should ensure their facilities are safe. As they will be inspecting themselves you could go to the Health & safety Executive.

Silly isn't it - a childrens sack race has been cancelled in London in case the children tumble over, yet a skate board ramp can be held together with ties. I think the one I read today tackes the biscuit - Council offices have banned an author selling books for charity on its premises in case a buyer drops a book on his foot (Swindon Council).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 19 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi Buzz,

Nice to hear an alternative concern about the park. I am pretty sure that the plans for Victoria Park include a new skateboard facility. The part of the changes will be run by Newbury Town Council - and could have been done by now if WBC had not dragged its feet over the pavilion and hence scuppered NTC's bid for lottery funding. In the meantime I hope the cable ties hold out! blink.gif

It is interesting to see that you would prefer a different location - any idea where?

Is there an organisation that could represent the skateboarders' point of view? If so they need to get in touch with NTC and start talking about what is required - if not perhaps you and your mates should think about starting a Newbury Skateboarders club or somesuch. I would imagine that NTC have already spoken with someone, but times change and there might be a new set of users of the facility these days that would hate what is currently in NTC's mind - now would be a good time to check out what is being planned.

The Newbury Town Councillor in charge is David Allen.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 19 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The various parties are probably trying to run down the park so as to make the proposition more attractive. Notwithstanding; what is the point in spending money on a thing that is getting rebuilt (as a part of the Pavilion project) anyway.

Mind you, look how in time how run-down these youth projects are allowed to get.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 20 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 19 2009, 10:34 PM) *
The various parties are probably trying to run down the park so as to make the proposition more attractive. Notwithstanding; what is the point in spending money on a thing that is getting rebuilt (as a part of the Pavilion project) anyway.

Mind you, look how in time how run-down these youth projects are allowed to get.

The replacement of the skateboarding thingies is not part of WBC's pavilion project. It is part of NTC's Victoria Park project.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 20 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 20 2009, 09:05 AM) *
The replacement of the skateboarding thingies is not part of WBC's pavilion project. It is part of NTC's Victoria Park project.

The skatepark was a part of the plans I went to see recently. So the point is, if the pavilion is given the go ahead, I have been lead to believe that a skatepark will be moved, or re-instated. If this isn't the case, then I have been misled by the councillor who was on duty that day.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 21 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 AM) *
The skatepark was a part of the plans I went to see recently. So the point is, if the pavilion is given the go ahead, I have been lead to believe that a skatepark will be moved, or re-instated. If this isn't the case, then I have been misled by the councillor who was on duty that day.

The only thing on the plans they showed in the library that was part of the pavilion build, as opposed to ideas/concepts for the future was the pavilion, pond and footbridge (though even those are likely to change as the design goes from concept to reality).

The layout of the park shown around the pavilion is along the lines of NTC's plans that were submitted to the lottery for funding (and turned down because the pavilion plan was not put together in the timescale orignally planned). NTC were also at the library with their display boards of their plan. If it wasn't for the pavilion they would probably have done the park revamp this year.

The aim is to revamp the park regardless of the pavilion - if the pavilion does not go ahead expect a cafe, toilets, changing rooms and some storage to be built in the park to replace the current buildings. So the skateboarders will get a new facility (eventually), but not necessarily as part of the pavilion build. Not so sure about the kids play area - as the pavilion will be on top of the existing area they may have to stump up for a replacement. I guess this might have a knock-on effect if they want to put the play area where the skatebord ramps are now.

The pavilion is, in theory, inextricably linked to the Wharf redevelopment, not the Park revamp.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 21 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I still stand by what I said, I was lead to believe that the skate park and play area will move if the pavilion is given the go-ahead - which is what people who are concerned about.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 21 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Buzz @ Dec 19 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Hi guys

It was interesting to read you views on the Pavilion etc. I assume that as you use the skatebord that you are one of the younger citizens of this town.
The park comes under the control of Newbury Town Council and my suggestion would be to write to the Mayor and identify to him your concerns and ask that the matter be put before the next council meeting. I believe they would welcome correspondence from younger persons as most of the involved people in Newbury are close to their sell by dates trying to make decisions for your future.
http://www.newbury.gov.uk/councillors.htm
You might also express your views to
Mr. Nick Carter
The Chief Executive
West Berkshire Council
Council Offices
Market Street
Newbury
I'm not quite sure how the council will finance the new skateboard area, which I believe are an essential addition to the park judging by the use it gets. I don't agree with you that it should be hidden away though. Let's have it out in the open, it's a pleasure to see people enjoying themselves. You may start the ball rolling yourself by asking the major grant giver to support it. A letter addressed to
Sir Peter Micheal (Marked addressee only )
Chairman of The Trustees
Greenham Common Trust
Liberty House
New Greenham Park
Thatcham
Berkshire

Keep posting.

+Quote Post
Watcher
post Dec 22 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 21 2009, 12:56 AM) *
The layout of the park shown around the pavilion is along the lines of NTC's plans that were submitted to the lottery for funding (and turned down because the pavilion plan was not put together in the timescale orignally planned). NTC were also at the library with their display boards of their plan. If it wasn't for the pavilion they would probably have done the park revamp this year.

Why were NTC at the library anyway ? This was meant to display the pavilion. All it did was to confuse people as the vast majority of them do not realise that there are two councils WBC and NTC.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 22 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Watcher @ Dec 22 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Why were NTC at the library anyway ? This was meant to display the pavilion. All it did was to confuse people as the vast majority of them do not realise that there are two councils WBC and NTC.

I doubt very much if that's true.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 23 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 22 2009, 01:51 PM) *
I doubt very much if that's true.

I think you are wrong there. A lot of people assume that the town council has the sort of powers it had when it was Newbury District before it all moved to Reading and then back again as West Berks Council.
A lot of the planning applications go across the desk of the Town Council but any decisions they make do not influence the planning decision as such. WBC do what they want and they may listen to the suggestions from the Town Council but that's all.
The problem with the public perception of the Town Council is that they have the power to make all sorts of decisions when in fact they are really a parish council but with a Mayor and a lot of publicity via the NWN which embelishes their position in the pecking order.
In France, the Mayor has real power and it is he that makes most of the local planning decisions and decides how the town will be run.
In England, it seems that only the Mayor of London has these powers. Correct me if I am wrong.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 23 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Saying that WBC and the Town Council are responsible for different things is not the same as saying that most people aren't aware that both exist.

I may well be in the majority in knowing there are two councils, but not being 100% sure exactly what each of them are responsible for.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 23 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Exactly!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:03 AM