IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Police (Bad) driving record, Wonder how many were not Class 1 drivers?
gel
post Dec 29 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

That Reading incident, looked like it was caused by what they used to call "Panda's" as opposed to more highly trained Traffic Officers.

See

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...rs-400-000.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 29 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Daily Mail... hmm...

"Surrey Police logged 477 incidents ranging from serious collisions to windscreen chips with repairs to vehicles costing £374,058."

So that includes windscreen chips, probably wheel curb repairs, etc.
It's probably not fair to judge the cost alone.
Besides in the event of police chases there is only the inevitability of accidents. Better than America where they just plough into each other lol.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 29 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

The police don't care. I reported an incident of reckless driving by a police car, but because it was at night and happened so fast I didn't get the registration number. However I got type of vehicle, time and location but the police complaints department said it wasn't enough to even investigate. Their culture is one of accept no criticism and they won't improve unless dragged kicking and screaming.

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 29 2013, 01:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 29 2013, 12:52 PM) *
Daily Mail... hmm...

"Surrey Police logged 477 incidents ranging from serious collisions to windscreen chips with repairs to vehicles costing £374,058."

So that includes windscreen chips, probably wheel curb repairs, etc.
It's probably not fair to judge the cost alone.
Besides in the event of police chases there is only the inevitability of accidents. Better than America where they just plough into each other lol.

Yes lot of US Cop Cars seem to have bump bars fitted to encourage things out of the way!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 29 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 29 2013, 12:19 PM) *
That Reading incident, looked like it was caused by what they used to call "Panda's" as opposed to more highly trained Traffic Officers.

See

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...rs-400-000.html

How do you come to that conclusion?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 29 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

There were also reports this weekend that the Scottish Government may well let 'emergency vehicles' pass speed cameras with impunity. Presently each speeding vehicle is investigated to check that it really was on an emergency. Apparently thus check is 'too onerous' and 'costly'. If they pull that off, won't be long before it's imposed in UK.

Must admit, I'd want to see some more numbers, vis how many speeding emergency vehicles passed cameras that weren't on emergencies.

The continued abuse of these privileges is simply adding to the declining reputation of he emergency services.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 30 2013, 02:15 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I think while we all are in agreement that there are times some members of the police force do abuse their blues and twos occasionally, how can you ever really prove it?

Systems to log when lights are used, vehicle speed and more importantly location, as well as link that to call outs would be an expensive system to install, being a government body this system would have to be installed and maintained appropriately, would be put out to tender for hundreds of companies and take at least a year before it even went to the drawing board.

I certainly know how negatively I would feel about being "watched" or "monitored" at work. It's bad for morale and makes you feel that your employer doesn't trust your work or your word...to be monitored while I'm driving would not be something I'd be a huge fan of.

Unfortunately people die from time to time while on the road and some of those people die in police chases. I think, if my memory serves me correctly, a thread discussing the above crash was on here somewhere, and I think I was defending the driver (probably not, I don't even know what I defend these days) HOWEVER if he was in a police chase and crashed, whether that was because he was hit by a chasing police car or not, it's his fault for being in a chase!!

It's inevitable really, people run around flailing their arms saying DEATH IS BAD, CARS ARE BAD, THEY KILL PUPPIES but with so many cars on the road and so many idiots driving them (especially in those stupid VW's with stupid coloured wheels angry.gif) it is only inevitable that sometimes cars will crash into each other and sometimes people will die. Only where serious mistakes are made can we possibly "learn" from these but normally this would just mean put a speed camera up which changes nothing.

We actually have quite good death rates in the UK on the roads..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ated_death_rate

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/wcm/road_saf...port%202008.pdf

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 29 2013, 10:25 PM) *
There were also reports this weekend that the Scottish Government may well let 'emergency vehicles' pass speed cameras with impunity. Presently each speeding vehicle is investigated to check that it really was on an emergency. Apparently thus check is 'too onerous' and 'costly'. If they pull that off, won't be long before it's imposed in UK.

Must admit, I'd want to see some more numbers, vis how many speeding emergency vehicles passed cameras that weren't on emergencies.

The continued abuse of these privileges is simply adding to the declining reputation of he emergency services.

You are mistaken. For years, when an emergency vehicle caused a camera activation the driver would report to the control room and the message would be linked to the appropriate 'emergency' and the information passed to the Central Ticket Office so the ticket was never issued.

Due to demands for transparency, and advances in technology, the process has become the same as for everyone else - the notification is sent out, the owner identifies the driver and the driver then has to submit evidence so the issue can be withdrawn or proceeded with. Outcome is the same, but far more bureaucratic and labour intensive.

The intention is to revert to a simpler process. There is/will be no impunity. It all depends how you want your public service £s spent

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 30 2013, 12:16 PM) *
You are mistaken. For years, when an emergency vehicle caused a camera activation the driver would report to the control room and the message would be linked to the appropriate 'emergency' and the information passed to the Central Ticket Office so the ticket was never issued.

Due to demands for transparency, and advances in technology, the process has become the same as for everyone else - the notification is sent out, the owner identifies the driver and the driver then has to submit evidence so the issue can be withdrawn or proceeded with. Outcome is the same, but far more bureaucratic and labour intensive.

The intention is to revert to a simpler process. There is/will be no impunity. It all depends how you want your public service £s spent

Presumably as mistaken as the Sunday Times, the Scottish Police Chief, and the Scottish Minister. The process(s) you outline clearly had significant manual intervention which is exactly what the proposal is seeking to eliminate. Given what has happened in very recent times, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the word of a Policeman on its own wouldn't be sufficient.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2013, 12:28 PM) *
Presumably as mistaken as the Sunday Times, the Scottish Police Chief, and the Scottish Minister. The process(s) you outline clearly had significant manual intervention which is exactly what the proposal is seeking to eliminate. Given what has happened in very recent times, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the word of a Policeman on its own wouldn't be sufficient.

I was talking about emergency services, not just the police.

I have not read the articles/comments you refer to, but I was in Scotland when the news first arose. I know a little of what I talk about, including that making an ordinary statement newsworthy is a standard lesson for journos.

The word of the driver alone was never enough, as the activation had to be logged in an already open incident. The penalties for lying are far greater than those for speeding......

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/...m.htm?id=268801

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/...m.htm?id=255007

Google is your friend

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 30 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

"Some sort of enforcement?"

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/...000917_data.pdf

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 05:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 30 2013, 04:45 PM) *
"Some sort of enforcement?"

Ask!!TVP FOI link

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 30 2013, 04:24 PM) *
I have not read the articles/comments you refer to....

Ah, that explains a lot.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2013, 05:44 PM) *
Ah, that explains a lot.

But I have read others.....

Frinstance

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2013, 06:53 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 30 2013, 06:08 PM) *
But I have read others.....

Frinstance

Good. The serious point here is that speed limits are in place to protect us. It is quite wrong to save one life by risking many others. The emergency services should break traffic regulations in very exceptional circumstances only. Yes, I have been on the 'receiving end' with major medical problems twice.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 30 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2013, 06:53 PM) *
Good. The serious point here is that speed limits are in place to protect us. It is quite wrong to save one life by risking many others. The emergency services should break traffic regulations in very exceptional circumstances only. Yes, I have been on the 'receiving end' with major medical problems twice.

Do police vehicles have any dataloggers fitted as standard?
I'd assumed there was something, considering that Faringdon volunteer emergency responder incident;
ie he was dismissed (initially), on basis of the satnav record showing he had exceeded a 20mph limit, despite being on Blues + Two's.
(Subsequently reinstated, following public reaction.)

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 30 2013, 08:25 PM) *
Do police vehicles have any dataloggers fitted as standard?
I'd assumed there was something, considering that Faringdon volunteer emergency responder incident;
ie he was dismissed (initially), on basis of the satnav record showing he had exceeded a 20mph limit, despite being on Blues + Two's.
(Subsequently reinstated, following public reaction.)

Don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, they are quite inexpensive. Farringdon case was interesting dismissal was probably too harsh a penalty, perhaps a written warning. Also 20mph without loggers is almost impossible to enforce and isn't if amazing that the very people who want 20mph limits to protect kiddies playing in the street, seem willing to risk their lives on the basis of a possible emergency.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Surely, with modern logging systems, the time of an alleged offence can be easily ascertained and managed?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:12 AM