> CoronaVirus, Nature will find a way
je suis Charlie
post May 25 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #521

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 25 2020, 06:43 PM) *
What woke us up was the management reports which were actually showing an increase in productivity. Plus, the little admin. team who field the phone calls have been doing that at home too. Their supervisor also took it on herself to set up a PO box number for the relatively few letters we get sent - either answers them, or just copies electronically to who ever is appropriate. So doesn't look like we'll renew the lease in a few months time. Looks as if I'll be able to live where I want to from then on too.

It's called a 'win win' situation I believe. Good on you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 25 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #522

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 25 2020, 06:05 PM) *
Going to be a lot more working from home and a lot less hot desking in the future. "Sorry, you don't get a company car, not if you're working from home". I see a lot of office space going begging with no-one to fill it, it's certainly enough to worry some people.

In my opinion it is going to accelerate the rate of conversion from office space to residential under permitted development rights (PDR). The lack of large companies with offices in Newbury (apart from Vodafone) isn't going to be as much of a problem any more if a long and expensive commute can be avoided for the most part.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 25 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #523

Advanced Member

And as a side benefit less traffic, less pollution, better health, less pressure on NHS.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 26 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #524

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

Going to be a lot more working from home and a lot less hot desking in the future. "Sorry, you don't get a company car, not if you're working from home". I see a lot of office space going begging with no-one to fill it, it's certainly enough to worry some people.

An interesting article from the BBC on this topic:

BBC News - Coronavirus: What's the future for the office?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52720007

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 26 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #525

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Going to be a lot more working from home and a lot less hot desking in the future. ......

Meanwhile our council has borrowed money to invest in Property such as offices and shopping centres as a revenue stream. Some of us were worried about that at the outset!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 26 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #526

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (MontyPython @ May 26 2020, 01:51 PM) *
Meanwhile our council has borrowed money to invest in Property such as offices and shopping centres as a revenue stream. Some of us were worried about that at the outset!

The office is pretty much dead. Now CEOs have realised that productivity increases when people work from home..why would they pay for them to all be in one building. A few other predictions..

The car industry won't recover. Macron chucking 9 billion at the French car industry is a waste. Good money after bad.

This virus will do more in the long term to change human habits to benefit the planet ecologically than any protest would have ever done

Trains will be more comfortable (when you need to get one)

Peoples habits will change for the long run. We will continue to be more socially distant in public places

The UK resort industry will benefit in the long run

China will change or die.

The media will need to bring back the Trevor McDonalds and Robin Days of this world in the UK or we will end up like the Fox / CNN farce.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 27 2020, 06:40 AM
Post #527

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Interesting.

Just musing; the emergence of ten commercial trading organisations which become, in effect, virtual nations who then simply co-operate, each with the other and so bring about World governance? Where present nation states like England, or Egypt or Russia have the same relevance and power as Newbury Town Council.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 27 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #528

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 26 2020, 11:13 PM) *
The office is pretty much dead. Now CEOs have realised that productivity increases when people work from home..why would they pay for them to all be in one building. A few other predictions..

The car industry won't recover. Macron chucking 9 billion at the French car industry is a waste. Good money after bad.

This virus will do more in the long term to change human habits to benefit the planet ecologically than any protest would have ever done

Trains will be more comfortable (when you need to get one)

Peoples habits will change for the long run. We will continue to be more socially distant in public places

The UK resort industry will benefit in the long run

China will change or die.

The media will need to bring back the Trevor McDonalds and Robin Days of this world in the UK or we will end up like the Fox / CNN farce.

Regarding productivity outside of the office. It's too early to tell whether people are more productive working from home. For many it's a novelty at the moment. My bet would be that those whose jobs are reactive (responding to emails & calls) will probably be about the same in productivity, but those who are proactive will in be time less productive. It's about motivation. If you've got stuff coming at you that you've got to deal with you'll tend to work at the pace required. One of the things noticeable staff that have the ability to work from home is that the days they most often seem to work from home is Monday & Friday.

Why do you think the car industry is doomed? If anything people will be more likely to use a car than a bus or a train.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 27 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #529

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ May 27 2020, 02:59 PM) *
Regarding productivity outside of the office. It's too early to tell whether people are more productive working from home. For many it's a novelty at the moment. My bet would be that those whose jobs are reactive (responding to emails & calls) will probably be about the same in productivity, but those who are proactive will in be time less productive. It's about motivation. If you've got stuff coming at you that you've got to deal with you'll tend to work at the pace required. One of the things noticeable staff that have the ability to work from home is that the days they most often seem to work from home is Monday & Friday.

Why do you think the car industry is doomed? If anything people will be more likely to use a car than a bus or a train.

I think the car industry will suffer because many more people will not be commuting, company cars will virtually disappear and fleet manager jobs with them. Most people will just want a runaround for local amenities.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 27 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #530

Advanced Member

Many business leaders have already stated that in many cases productivity is up. Whether they act on that is another matter. Financially it's a no brainer.

The car market is already shrinking, with more uncertainty comes less willingness to spend. The industry may not be doomed but it will certainly go through a prolonged period of severe contraction.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 27 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #531

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 27 2020, 04:54 PM) *
I think the car industry will suffer because many more people will not be commuting, company cars will virtually disappear and fleet manager jobs with them. Most people will just want a runaround for local amenities.

More and more towns and cities will ban cars, parking will be cut and the cost of running cars will just go up. People realise that the dream of 'fully autonomous' will be cripplingly expensive to facilitate so the best option is to keep people where they are, harvest their wallets and let the motor industry go hang. It will end up as a rich man's hobby.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 27 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #532

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 27 2020, 05:30 PM) *
More and more towns and cities will ban cars, parking will be cut and the cost of running cars will just go up. People realise that the dream of 'fully autonomous' will be cripplingly expensive to facilitate so the best option is to keep people where they are, harvest their wallets and let the motor industry go hang. It will end up as a rich man's hobby.

..and the non-motoists will have to start paying their fair share as the cash cow that both National and Local govenment relies on is reduced.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 27 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #533

Advanced Member

Pretty rum manager who doesn't know what the staff are doing - office or home! Our experience suggests productivity is likely to increase, but it's not a massive factor. Ironically, proactive staff 'topping and tailing' is generally helpful in customer service terms, home workers can generally keep their own hours and as time progresses, often fit this to customer demand. Eliminating the office also gets rid of the 9 to 5 culture too. As for cars, yes, I suspect it is doomed. Nothing wrong with people liking and using their cars but there are a fast growing number of us who see them just as a tool and an expensive one at that. So, I much prefer living in the centre of things so long as there is a good train service. Busses aren't generally pleasant unfortunately, but you don't necessarily need them. I, or rather she, has a Ka, which just gets used for the odd run round. Sure, when we can go on holiday again, we'll just hire one at the airport.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 27 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #534

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ May 27 2020, 06:10 PM) *
..and the non-motoists will have to start paying their fair share as the cash cow that both National and Local govenment relies on is reduced.

Yes, big time. Will we see new forms of taxation which will be sold as social controls. An annual charge for cycle for instance, might reduce the present turf wars. And, doubtless contentious, a licence for animal keepers, not only cover costs of cleaning, but potentially reduce cruelty and other irresponsible activity.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 27 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #535

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 27 2020, 08:18 PM) *
Yes, big time. Will we see new forms of taxation which will be sold as social controls. An annual charge for cycle for instance, might reduce the present turf wars. And, doubtless contentious, a licence for animal keepers, not only cover costs of cleaning, but potentially reduce cruelty and other irresponsible activity.

And a garden tax, increases in council tax and Vat. The opportunity is endless, all one needs is imagination. It's going to be so interesting for our children and their children, oh how they'll laugh.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 27 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #536

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 27 2020, 09:30 PM) *
And a garden tax, increases in council tax and Vat. The opportunity is endless, all one needs is imagination. It's going to be so interesting for our children and their children, oh how they'll laugh.

Yes; we are starting to see how much in other ways already - the pension door has been slammed shut and retirement age increased. That degree they had to pay for had better be useful.....

+Quote Post
newres
post May 28 2020, 05:04 AM
Post #537

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 27 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Company cars have been on the way our for decades. I haven’t had a company car for 15 years with the exception of a truck thing which I hated in the end and got shot of.

People still desire cars and in most places the public transport infrastructure isn’t there. Try commuting to Maidenhead from Newbury for example, which I used to do. Unrealistic without a car.

Long term, working from home isn’t always good for mental health. I worked in sales for a Manchester based IT company from home for two years. It wasn’t good for my mental health and eventually the novelty wears off. This virus won’t be with us forever.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 28 2020, 05:38 AM
Post #538

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 28 2020, 06:04 AM) *
Company cars have been on the way our for decades. I haven’t had a company car for 15 years with the exception of a truck thing which I hated in the end and got shot of.

People still desire cars and in most places the public transport infrastructure isn’t there. Try commuting to Maidenhead from Newbury for example, which I used to do. Unrealistic without a car.

Long term, working from home isn’t always good for mental health. I worked in sales for a Manchester based IT company from home for two years. It wasn’t good for my mental health and eventually the novelty wears off. This virus won’t be with us forever.

Again, it comes down to good, really good management, Many are beginning to see that most 'mental health' work related issues are really caused by lack of self esteem which is reinforced by the corporatist approach to employment - there are some pretty good courses that can help you.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 28 2020, 07:18 AM
Post #539

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (newres @ May 28 2020, 06:04 AM) *
Try commuting to Maidenhead from Newbury for example, which I used to do. Unrealistic without a car.

Well you get on a train at Newbury Railway Station and get off at Maidenhead Railway Station. Although, horror of horrors, you usually have to change trains at Reading! Very unrealistic?

+Quote Post
newres
post May 28 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #540

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 28 2020, 08:18 AM) *
Well you get on a train at Newbury Railway Station and get off at Maidenhead Railway Station. Although, horror of horrors, you usually have to change trains at Reading! Very unrealistic?

I actually worked in Bray. I should have said that. Apologies.

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:08 PM