Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New parking grace period and on-street parking
Andy Capp
post Oct 22 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Does anyone know if this means that theoretically there is now ~40 minutes free parking?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2015, 06:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I don't doubt it, the 'give them an inch' rule takes effect again. Let's face it, even if we had free parking round here, there would still be howls of protest because 'I was only parked on those double lines for a couple of minutes'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 24 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 22 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Does anyone know if this means that theoretically there is now ~40 minutes free parking?

I would say it does apply to Pay & Display bays. I can't do the link from this tablet but the website says "The 10 minute grace rules do not extend to vehicles parked in parking bays if a ticket hasn't been fixed on it first."

So, if you HAVE put your 30 minute 'free' ticket on your car (as you are meant to) they still have to give the 10 minute grace period in addition.

EDIT:

Linky thing
(Second paragraph after the photo on the link:)
"The ten minute grace period kicks in only at the point when the time printed on the ticket expires."

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Oct 26 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

New parking is just driving people to other towns or the out limits of town.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Agreed.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 26 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Even those of us who really don't mind paying to park are getting somewhat discontent at not seeing any sensible measures being taken to justify the monies taken. The Wharf area is a classic example. The whole area has the ambience of a derelict prison exercise yard. What an advert for the town this gateway had become; ugh!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Spider
post Oct 26 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

As a lorry driver it is becoming a lot harder for us drivers to find a parking space so we can deliver our goods. That is another reason why town centres will die.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 26 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 26 2015, 06:42 PM) *
Even those of us who really don't mind paying to park are getting somewhat discontent at not seeing any sensible measures being taken to justify the monies taken. The Wharf area is a classic example. The whole area has the ambience of a derelict prison exercise yard. What an advert for the town this gateway had become; ugh!

Terrific! Now you have given them another excuse to Give away yet some more land to a Developer! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 26 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 26 2015, 09:26 PM) *
Terrific! Now you have given them another excuse to Give away yet some more land to a Developer! rolleyes.gif

Aargh! Me and my big gob......no wonder Newbury people keep silent! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 26 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 26 2015, 10:26 PM) *

I thought the buses were going there?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Oct 26 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 26 2015, 10:19 PM) *
I thought the buses were going there?

Deja Vu.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 26 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Spider @ Oct 26 2015, 09:26 PM) *
As a lorry driver it is becoming a lot harder for us drivers to find a parking space so we can deliver our goods. That is another reason why town centres will die.

As a lorry driver you should know that you can 'deliver' on yellow lines, including double yellows. Opportunities exist for lorry drivers.

Of course lorry drivers can also be the scourge of town business parks with the swarms that invade for overnight parking. Instead of using the facilities that exist in the motorways, with toilets and even showers at some, lorry drivers prefer to avoid the parking fees and find a spot in the hidden away areas like Faraday Road and it's side roads. One reason why some businesses don't want to move into units in these areas when they become available is because they don't like having to deal with the turds on the doorstep or entrance areas smelling of pee. It's not a reason for them dying but it doesn't help regenerate an area when it's been used as a driver's toilet....

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 27 2015, 01:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 26 2015, 11:26 PM) *
Deja Vu.

Who's he then? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 27 2015, 06:49 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 26 2015, 11:17 PM) *
As a lorry driver you should know that you can 'deliver' on yellow lines, including double yellows. Opportunities exist for lorry drivers.

Of course lorry drivers can also be the scourge of town business parks with the swarms that invade for overnight parking. Instead of using the facilities that exist in the motorways, with toilets and even showers at some, lorry drivers prefer to avoid the parking fees and find a spot in the hidden away areas like Faraday Road and it's side roads. One reason why some businesses don't want to move into units in these areas when they become available is because they don't like having to deal with the turds on the doorstep or entrance areas smelling of pee. It's not a reason for them dying but it doesn't help regenerate an area when it's been used as a driver's toilet....

Umm, this then says rather more about the quality of the business managers in the area than anything else. If the problem is as vile and endemic as suggested one might reasonably expected to have heard very loud noises about this beforehand - particularly in the mewling about the proposed development round there! Anyway, Spartacus, good to know we do have some civic problems that can't be laid at the door of WBC!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Oct 27 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 27 2015, 01:23 AM) *
Who's he then? rolleyes.gif

I swear it's Deja Vu
Know that I can't get over you
'Cause everything I see is you
And I don't want no substitute
Baby I swear it's Deja Vu.

Beyoncé.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 27 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 26 2015, 11:26 PM) *
Deja Vu.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 27 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 27 2015, 07:49 AM) *
Umm, this then says rather more about the quality of the business managers in the area than anything else. If the problem is as vile and endemic as suggested one might reasonably expected to have heard very loud noises about this beforehand - particularly in the mewling about the proposed development round there!

I'm not sure how much control you might think a business manager could have over lorry drivers using Faraday Road area for overnight stops. It's public highway and there's nothing to stop them overnight.

Thankfully dealing with lorry driver 'solids' isn't a daily thing, but it does happen all too often, presumably once the Harvester closes and the toilets are off limits. With the large number of HGVs that park up there are also plenty who pee in doorways when it's raining and they have the urge in the middle of the night.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 27 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 27 2015, 06:57 PM) *
I'm not sure how much control you might think a business manager could have over lorry drivers using Faraday Road area for overnight stops. It's public highway and there's nothing to stop them overnight.

Thankfully dealing with lorry driver 'solids' isn't a daily thing, but it does happen all too often, presumably once the Harvester closes and the toilets are off limits. With the large number of HGVs that park up there are also plenty who pee in doorways when it's raining and they have the urge in the middle of the night.

Just as much as the citizens of certain streets complaining about cars parking in front of their property; which has engaged Councillors and Officers. Measures such as yellow lining and even formal parking charges have been introduced. However, the Council can hardly act to solve a problem it doesn't know exists.

Similarly, with regard to fouling. If this is as common as suggested, why haven't we heard about it? There isn't much of a turnover in Lorry drivers so detection isn't going to be that difficult. 'All too often' suggests its regular enough to invest in a cheap video surveillance at least.

No, it's either an urban myth or evidence of slack property management.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 27 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

WBC consulted businesses in this area several years ago to see if they wanted measures to ban HGVs from the area overnight and chase them back to the motorway services. The majority response from businesses was that on balance they preferred the 'security' of having truckers in place throughout the night rather than the place being deserted and a magnet for quiet crime or vandalism.

They complained about the toilet habits of some and still do. Finding a turd on your doorstep may only be a once every six months event, but that is 'all too often' in my book...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 27 2015, 09:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It could also be 'revellers' on their way home too.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:36 AM