IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People with iPods etc on Public Transport
People with iPods etc on Public Transport
Does music on public transport bother you?
I don't want to hear anyone elses music/conversations. If I want music I'll provide my own [ 9 ] ** [42.86%]
I would prefer not to hear anyone elses music however I don't mind it from time to time [ 8 ] ** [38.10%]
I wish people wouldn't play any music on public transport, I have to grit my teeth to avoid getting angry at them [ 2 ] ** [9.52%]
I don't mind hearing other peoples music, the more the merrier! [ 2 ] ** [9.52%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 10 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Guests

If you could vote that'd be good :>

Just wondering what the general view of this forum is on the state of affairs of life, mainly people who use public transport.

Do you get annoyed with people who are on their phones throughout their bus/train journey? Would you rather sit there in silence of catch a murmur of the song playing from the earphones of the person next to you? Does it irritate you when someone is playing music from their mobile phone? Would you rather have someone elses music (whether you liked it or not) or have nothing but the whirr of a buses engine?

Thankfully I don't use public transport but a few posts over on the BBC discussion thing about how it seems some people get so irate over other people texting or using their phones on a bus, makes me think some people (sorry but they are generally middle aged!!) are wrapped up in their own miserable little world...

Just interested to hear peoples thoughts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Oct 10 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 261

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 10 2011, 02:57 PM) *
Just wondering what the general view of this forum is on the state of affairs of life, mainly people who use public transport.

Do you get annoyed with people who are on their phones throughout their bus/train journey? Would you rather sit there in silence of catch a murmur of the song playing from the earphones of the person next to you? Does it irritate you when someone is playing music from their mobile phone? Would you rather have someone elses music (whether you liked it or not) or have nothing but the whirr of a buses engine?

Thankfully I don't use public transport but a few posts over on the BBC discussion thing about how it seems some people get so irate over other people texting or using their phones on a bus, makes me think some people (sorry but they are generally middle aged!!) are wrapped up in their own miserable little world...

If they want to text or talk quietly on the phone, I have no objections. What I do object to is when the music is so loud that others can hear it. This is thoughtless and is extremely irritating.

Saying that "some people (sorry but they are generally middle aged!!) are wrapped up in their own miserable little world" is exactly the opposite of what is really happening. The are being forced into someone elses miserable little world with no choice!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 10 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 10 2011, 02:57 PM) *

As you don't use public transport how can you target "middle aged" people for your disdain?
Why do you think that their world is any more miserable than yours?
You may want to consider that perhaps the older generation have been brought up to be mindful of the feelings and sensitivities of those about them and not pollute the public environment with inane and juvenile telephone conversations and not impose their choice of music on those about them.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 10 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Oct 10 2011, 03:22 PM) *
If they want to text or talk quietly on the phone, I have no objections. What I do object to is when the music is so loud that others can hear it. This is thoughtless and is extremely irritating.

That's probably inline with most peoples feelings I guess..

Saying that "some people (sorry but they are generally middle aged!!) are wrapped up in their own miserable little world" is exactly the opposite of what is really happening. The are being forced into someone elses miserable little world with no choice!

Haha like most of us thanks to Cameron and his crew. wink.gif sad.gif

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Oct 10 2011, 03:35 PM) *
As you don't use public transport how can you target "middle aged" people for your disdain?

Woah woah woah there little horsey. I was only reading the BBC comments and it was several peoples (+30 or higher) rated comments where it was saying that in general the people lacking manners were the middle ages. Infact the most agreed with comments was that teenagers, if addressed as equal, would respond as such. So I thought it worthy of a discussion wink.gif . In direct response to your comments however, there are quite a few of the "older generation" who are very rude and arrogant in their ways.

I had a good 17 years of using public transport (thankfully I wised up and bought a noisy motorcycle and a car) but my experiences were fresh in my mind. Last time I used public transport was probably when I went to London to fix a companies phone system about 5 months ago. It was OK but I felt lost in a sea of middle-management, people in suits not giving a rats **** who they bump into, no-one said thanks if you moved out of their way or held a door open, many people were on the phone or had earphones in... Staff at the London Paddington, when you ask "Hi, I've not really used the tube before, what line do I need to get in order to get to <station>?" and I get a half-arsed "rawr, read the boards" response from the clerk at the "customer help point". Thanks, I did but I wasn't sure.

You may want to consider that perhaps the older generation have been brought up to be mindful of the feelings and sensitivities of those about them and not pollute the public environment with inane and juvenile telephone conversations and not impose their choice of music on those about them.

In short and to elaborate on your post; What is inane and juvenile conversation to you? Talking about political goings-on? Arranging a date? Deciding what's for dinner? Checking in with their friends? Hardly very "mindful of the feelings and sensitivities of those about them" is it, to presume conversations of younger people on public transport are juvenile!?

I'm neither for or against playing music publically (as in from a phone or something) however a little bit of noise from earphones is to be expected. It's in their design, the more air they displace the more "full" the sound can be. The standard iPod earphones to, however, put a lot of sound out into the ambient and not awfully very good quality into your ear so I'm not sure what's up with that! laugh.gif

I think there was a study of 12-15 year olds who would play music from a phone and most of them did it and when asked "do you think other people minded?" (or something like that), their response was that they presumed people would rather listen to music of any time than the drone of the bus. Still it's an interesting topic.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 10 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Bloggo,and Bartholomew I have to agree with your side.

There is nothing as pleasant as falling asleeeep on an old Routemaster.
Impossible now as there is always someone calling the world and when I say calling they are
attempting to send the voice without the aid of the mobile.

Another thing annoys me, when there is a huge trolly load at the checkout and the invariable has a phone cradled
as the loyalty card is struggled for.

I went to Covent Garden in March and a patron was constantly dabbling with a blackberry or a gooseberry.
It was really distracting. No sound but a bright screen. People complained and it was stopped.
So the end of my ramble is that people should consider others. Which I believe was the point of the post.

You don't have to be old to feel people should be considerate.
ce

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 10 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

A point not generally understood by users of ipods and the such is that if the volume in the ear-buds is high enough for others to hear it clearly, then it is probably damaging your hearing (or will do in the ling term)

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 10 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Bartholomew. Just for banter, a ling is a fish about the size of a conger eel.
Not good for the ears..
Your point is certainly correct though. Many musicians/rock or whatever
suffer from problems in later life. So a constant blast into the eardrum can't be good when you are young.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Oct 10 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I am losing it now... Berkshirelad.Sorry Bartholomew.
I post on too many places and forget who I am replying to.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 11 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Just a thought, but how do these people hear announcements on public transport, some of which may be important?
They may get on the wrong train or suchlike!

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Oct 11 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Oct 10 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Why do you think that their world is any more miserable than yours?

On the bus the other day 1 80 to 85 year old on the mobile. HELLO, HELLO, I'M GOING TO BE LATE! HELLO. LATE, THE BUS IS RUNNING LATE, WHAT >>>>>>>>>>> mixed in with another 2 other ladies shouting at each other with lots of oo's and tutting, even though they were sat next to each other. Then when Ernie gets on the bus his mate shouts alright boiiiiiii! followed by the Sid James laugh and banter. What the kids with Ipods were doing at the back I don't know because I couldn't hear them. Bus journey are great fun.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 11 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Oct 11 2011, 12:17 PM) *
On the bus the other day 1 80 to 85 year old on the mobile. HELLO, HELLO, I'M GOING TO BE LATE! HELLO. LATE, THE BUS IS RUNNING LATE, WHAT >>>>>>>>>>> mixed in with another 2 other ladies shouting at each other with lots of oo's and tutting, even though they were sat next to each other. Then when Ernie gets on the bus his mate shouts alright boiiiiiii! followed by the Sid James laugh and banter. What the kids with Ipods were doing at the back I don't know because I couldn't hear them. Bus journey are great fun.

Yep, you have a point. wink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:31 AM